My thoughts on Saturday’s electric practice.. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on Saturday’s electric practice..

I understand what your saying but we’re talking about two different things.

I believe he struggles on deep routes where his height is exposed on deep routes and doesn’t allow him to have that extra inch to recover deep.also on deep balls tracking the ball is a much tougher task than on the inside as the ball is in flight longer and higher.. Some receivers can track deep some can’t, tracking the deep ball is a strength all in itself. Some receivers can limit the movement of the head, some can’t

He is more protected on the inside where he’s good at trail and can be closer to deflecting passes .

It’s ok we dont agree here, what I saw in college is exactly what I’m saying now and it’s come to fruition in my eyes.

Bottom line he just needs to make the roster at this point..
Deep routes are relatively few attempts and I believe he can learn to use athleticism to make up for 2" in height more easily than developing ball skills against quick passes and learning enough technique to counter receivers with more directional options.

We disagree on which position protects him more and where he has the best opportunity to potentially flourish. It seems to me the coaches decided that his best chance is to mimic Byron Jones.

But we agree that he needs to make the roster and find a way to contribute.

Deep routes are relatively few attempts and I believe he can learn to use athleticism to make up for 2" in height more easily than developing ball skills against quick passes and learning enough technique to counter receivers with more directional options.

We disagree on which position protects him more and where he has the best opportunity to potentially flourish. It seems to me the coaches decided that his best chance is to mimic Byron Jones.

But we agree that he needs to make the roster and find a way to contribute.
I think the best way for me to sum up his evaluation is to say when I watched his film/skillset I believed he would do best in closer quarters and closer to the LOS where his height and poor tracking skills would be minimized.

I think with his excellent COD he has better chances of being in the receivers hip therefore easier to deflect passes.

Unfortunately he has not gotten that opportunity and has been used on the Perimeter and has struggled as I suspected he would..

Also think this staff planning on playing Gesicki more in-line is a huge mistake.. but that’s just me.

Also think this staff planning on playing Gesicki more in-line is a huge mistake.. but that’s just me.
Just a way to get him on the field imo...If Gesicki were to learn to block to an above average level, he'd probably be a top 5 TE in the NFL, as a WR he'll never sniff top 20. Where else are you giving him snaps really? I wouldnt want Gesicki to take snaps away from Hill or Waddle and Wilson is also a guy you'll prefer over Mike in 90% of situations. There's reason there's no long term deal on the table as of yet, they bet the tag they could teach him how to block, and it wasnt that big of a bet to begin with, I dont see how this could end up in the "huge mistake" category... Whats the worst case scenario here? Gesicki ends up being a situational red zone target and they let him go after the season...?

Just a way to get him on the field imo...If Gesicki were to learn to block to an above average level, he'd probably be a top 5 TE in the NFL, as a WR he'll never sniff top 20. Where else are you giving him snaps really? I wouldnt want Gesicki to take snaps away from Hill or Waddle and Wilson is also a guy you'll prefer over Mike in 90% of situations. There's reason there's no long term deal on the table as of yet, they bet the tag they could teach him how to block, and it wasnt that big of a bet to begin with, I dont see how this could end up in the "huge mistake" category... Whats the worst case scenario here? Gesicki ends up being a situational red zone target and they let him go after the season...?
I think it is very much wishful thinking to think he can even become an average blocker, and I say that respectfully to you imo, his body mechanics are not cut out for blocking, he will always lose leverage and be knocked off balance, core strength is bad.

I will hope for the best but I have no hope

I think it is very much wishful thinking to think he can even become an average blocker, and I say that respectfully to you imo, his body mechanics are not cut out for blocking, he will always lose leverage and be knocked off balance, core strength is bad.

Oh I agree... just pointing what I think they're doing. But when the bet is small enough, you dont need to win all that often to make it profitable... if it works, the Fins offense becomes some next level ****, if it doesnt, his contract is off the books after the season... He's also very good WR depth in the meantime...

I feel his blocking has improved a bit over the last couple of years. I also feel he has a lot of room for improvement.

From what I have read about him, and this season's training camp is that he intends to make a concentrated effort to become a better all-around blocker. With our new coaching staff and our new HC's attempt to move the players culture in a direction that supports self-improvement, I have what I consider very reasonable expectations that his blocking will improve.

That would certainly enhance his value in Free Agency next year.

How's that as a reason for self-motivation to improve in a weak area of play? - LOL

My thought is MG is bad at blocking b/c he never wants to do it. Because of that, the other coaches let him get away with it. McD is not one of those. Now he has to "try" his best if he wants to play.

Thanks for that!

Listening to Alfredo the other day, he mentioned that Tua's legs and butt looked thick. He stated that he was much thicker than Russell Wilson, who I always thought was stoutly built. IMO that lower body strength is a big key for QBs in terms of injury prevention and passing consistency. During the interviews yesterday his bottom half looked as thick as McGinnis, but it was tough to tell. Since you're very much a "body composition" guy, how did he look?
I like my quarterbacks like I like my women: with enough lower body to aid in injury prevention and passing consistency 🤤

Oh I agree... just pointing what I think they're doing. But when the bet is small enough, you dont need to win all that often to make it profitable... if it works, the Fins offense becomes some next level ****, if it doesnt, his contract is off the books after the season... He's also very good WR depth in the meantime...
You run risks of plays being blown up and bad things happening when you ask players to do what they can’t.

I feel his blocking has improved a bit over the last couple of years. I also feel he has a lot of room for improvement.

From what I have read about him, and this season's training camp is that he intends to make a concentrated effort to become a better all-around blocker. With our new coaching staff and our new HC's attempt to move the players culture in a direction that supports self-improvement, I have what I consider very reasonable expectations that his blocking will improve.

How's that as a reason for self-motivation to improve in a weak area of play? - LOL
He can try all he wants, ain’t gonna happen lol.

He’s the same exact blocker he was in college imo, worst I’ve seen for someone people label a tight end.

Right, and a compensatory pick. Or perhaps Long emerges enough to free their hand up for a mid-season deal that would bring back even more rich draft capital. This team has needs and depth issues at several positions but TE may not be one of those.

Back
Top Bottom