Nate burleson | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nate burleson

You realize they arent looking for a top receiver who will catch 50-60 passes right? They want a camp body and a depth receiver so if a guy isn't ready to go or a guy gets injured he can step in. Last year after Gibson went down they had very limited choices in receivers because they only opted to keep 4 out of camp. That said i dont think Austin or Rice fit that role. Maybe Avant seeing as he was already a depth guy last year in philly and maybe lazor liked him but who knows.

Most likely the dolphins gave the same kind of money offer as the browns but the browns offer was probably more as a #3-4WR and with the dolphins is was more to be the #5WR.

then draft a 3rd or even 4th wr with upside in this loaded class...there will be talent in the middle rounds...don't waste spots on your 53 on over the hill scrubs...all these guys either can't stay healthy or are washed up or both and thus still on the market

avants probably the one that would fit the most but he's always even in his prime had #3 wr level max talent...at his best...he's no where near that same guy any more

you want to add one of these fill ins you add em in season when you sustain an injury to one of your front 4 or you find out your rookie draft pick is not ready to help you...the hell if you bring it in to camp as a body...for what...hopefully they never see the field for you or your 53 anyways...

You could bring in a middle round receiver if there were not glaring holes on the line and at LB.

There are still way to many holes to fill to draft a mid round receiver. OL is still a question and needs a few bodies drafter there, LB needs to be addressed, they have said they still plan on drafting a RB, S needs depth. Drafting a guy in the mid round to be a #5 receiver makes no sense what so ever. Maybe a 7th rounder or an UDFA. A vet who is over the hill is the perfect player to have as a #5 reciever, if a guy gets hurt he can step in with no nerves, no pressure because he has done it all before.

i dont' buy the too many holes thing for a mid round receiver...would i agree that it is not a priority yes given how many holes we didnt fill this offseason already but it's still a better option than some washed up on his death bed veteran who's just gonna waste a spot on my 53 and if he plays snaps...

this team last years bread and butter was the 3 wr set anyways they were fine with 4 wrs even after gibby went down...i guess it just depends on how much the wrs will play under lazor...if it's like uva i would think more 2 tight end sets are on the way

not sure i agree with that given most our mismatches last year at least came in 3 wide looks...but also lazors use of late motion and different formations should help offset if we do go a diffferent route...

The Dolphins made an offer to receiver Nate Burleson, who signed with Cleveland on Sunday night. Burleson picked the Browns because he believed he would have a better opportunity to earn playing time there. The Dolphins have more veteran, accomplished receivers than Cleveland, so Burleson's move makes sense.

Miami is plenty good enough at receiver with Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline, Brandon Gibson, Rishard Matthews and Armon Binns. Hartline, Gibson and Binns are returning from significant knee injuries, but the Dolphins have said they expect all three to be ready to start the season.

The Dolphins have made offers to every free agent who has visited during the first few months of Dennis Hickey's GM tenure. All accepted except Burleson and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-declined-for-valid-reason.html#storylink=cpy

Meh, I wasn't concerned either way, if Nate signed I'd have been OK with it, since he went to Cleveland I'm Ok with it. This was one of those 50/50 things either side of the coin is OK by me.

ewwww...they made him an offer...hickey really making me wonder with some of these things

My take is, there are going to be more cuts coming, so there's no need to tie ourselves to a guy like Burelson right this minute. Be patient, if we don't get a WR in the draft then wait it out like hoops said. We should be able to find a similar insurance type player sometime in training camp or preseason.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...e-been-insurance-the-dolphins-still-need.html

Armando just spit out a blog with what he said the other night and what most of us have come to the conclusion on. Burleson interest was based on having a backup plan in case Hartline and/or Gibson are not ready or have a set back. He says the organization is operating as if both will be fine for the 2014 season, but Hickey would like to add a cheap veteran as insurance. Armando does say that the current timetable puts Hartline as being cleared by June and Gibson by training camp in July.

The Dolphins did make Burleson an offer, but it sounds like a vet minimum offer with no assurance of making the final roster. The Browns gave him a better chance to make the final roster and likely a larger contract offer. Hickey doesn't seem like he really cared one way or another if they got him or not. They wanted someone real cheap, and were not going to get in a bidding war.

Armando also does say that Miami could continue exploring other veteran free agent WRs if they can be had for cheap. Not a bad plan.

well at least they made the offer vet minimum...does have a better shot sticking with the browns...but depends on what they do in the draft at the position...

I dont think a mid level draft pick is a good choice a late pick i would see. They dont really need a receiver at all its just insurance and they saw Burleson hadn't gotten a sniff so they took a shot. As more vet receivers get cut through the off season (and with the good depth in the draft many teams may cut ties with their vets to go with a rookie) there will be more options. They probably rushed CLE into signing him who may have been waiting until after the draft to get him. Even now there are still many Vet receivers unsigned and more to come so a vet for cheap wont be too hard to come by this off season.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 12s
#Browns Burleson: "I see them as a team that's ready to make that next step. I'm not coming here to deal with losing.''
#Browns Burleson told the Dolphins on his visit there: "From a football standpoint, I have to take this trip to Cleveland...I'm glad I did.'

Back
Top Bottom