NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash

The death penalty talk is dumb. SMU got DPed because they were warned and even punished numerous times and told the NCAA to go **** themselves. UM will not escape this unscathed, but they won't get DPed either. Pay attention to the UNC verdict.

Go for it. One year bowl ban, loss of 20 scholarships at most. So, no worse than USC sanctions.

Exactly. And the thing to remember, is the U isnt USC. USC was a ****ing national powerhouse until they got ***** slapped for the Reggie Bush ordeal. Now they are only somewhat relevant, scrambling to finish 3rd or 4th in the Pac 10.

The U on the other hand is already almost barely relevant. They scramble to finish 3rd or 4th in the sorry *** ACC conference, which we all know is almost as ****ty as the Big East in football. A penalty similar to the one USC was handed, could land the Canes in total obscurity.

You dont want what USC got. But, from the looks of things, no matter how some of you want to spin it, it seems the penalty handed down could be more severe than what USC received. And if thats the case, their football program could become even ****tier than what their hoop program currently is.

Think about it. Florida is loaded with HS talent. If the U loses too many scholarships, guess where those players are going to wind up. You guessed it. You already know. And the last thing you want is for FSU and UF to become even more powerful than they already are. The U is behind them as it is. If the gap gets too great, the U may never recover. Thats just reality my friends.

You will find yourself praying that if the U loses say 20 scholarships for instance, that 18 of the 20 wind up going to USF, UCF, and places like WVU that plucks degenerates from Florida that the 3 big schools sometimes pass on due to grades and or character. You will hope those kids will go somewhere they know for a fact they will be a starter instead of going to FSU or UF with the big boys. Once the levee breaks, there is no putting a finger in the size of that ****ing hole.

Exactly. And the thing to remember, is the U isnt USC. USC was a ****ing national powerhouse until they got ***** slapped for the Reggie Bush ordeal. Now they are only somewhat relevant, scrambling to finish 3rd or 4th in the Pac 10.

The U on the other hand is already almost barely relevant. They scramble to finish 3rd or 4th in the sorry *** ACC conference, which we all know is almost as ****ty as the Big East in football. A penalty similar to the one USC was handed, could land the Canes in total obscurity.

You dont want what USC got. But, from the looks of things, no matter how some of you want to spin it, it seems the penalty handed down could be more severe than what USC received. And if thats the case, their football program could become even ****tier than what their hoop program currently is.

Think about it. Florida is loaded with HS talent. If the U loses too many scholarships, guess where those players are going to wind up. You guessed it. You already know. And the last thing you want is for FSU and UF to become even more powerful than they already are. The U is behind them as it is. If the gap gets too great, the U may never recover. Thats just reality my friends.

You will find yourself praying that if the U loses say 20 scholarships for instance, that 18 of the 20 wind up going to USF, UCF, and places like WVU that plucks degenerates from Florida that the 3 big schools sometimes pass on due to grades and or character. You will hope those kids will go somewhere they know for a fact they will be a starter instead of going to FSU or UF with the big boys. Once the levee breaks, there is no putting a finger in the size of that ****ing hole.

You're mostly correct with this. The talent in Florida will definitely go to Florida State and Florida...but it already does. Central Florida is a sleeping giant. Gogeous campus, state school, more undergraduates than any other school in the state, on campus stadium, minutes from downtown Orlando. Central Florida has everything going for them if they can claw their way into the Big East somehow. I think Central Florida is playing the waiting game with the Super Conferences because they WILL get an invite to join the ACC.

Randy Shannon might be our saving grace. Dude ran this program into irrelevancy almost. And for that the NCAA will probably lighten up even more than they already would have. A guy like Al Golden, if he stays, can work with a few scholarship losses. He's one hell of a recruiter. These suspensions hurt, but as many "experts" in the college football world have stated, it's not enough to take us out of the Maryland game Monday night. There's still plenty of talent on both sides of the football. So now, it's time to see what Golden has between the ears. We'll find out A LOT about this guy on Monday night. And with Virginia Tech being a little down this year, as many have stated, these suspensions do not take us out of the Coastal bidding.

You're mostly correct with this. The talent in Florida will definitely go to Florida State and Florida...but it already does. Central Florida is a sleeping giant. Gogeous campus, state school, more undergraduates than any other school in the state, on campus stadium, minutes from downtown Orlando. Central Florida has everything going for them if they can claw their way into the Big East somehow. I think Central Florida is playing the waiting game with the Super Conferences because they WILL get an invite to join the ACC.

Randy Shannon might be our saving grace. Dude ran this program into irrelevancy almost. And for that the NCAA will probably lighten up even more than they already would have. A guy like Al Golden, if he stays, can work with a few scholarship losses. He's one hell of a recruiter. These suspensions hurt, but as many "experts" in the college football world have stated, it's not enough to take us out of the Maryland game Monday night. There's still plenty of talent on both sides of the football. So now, it's time to see what Golden has between the ears. We'll find out A LOT about this guy on Monday night. And with Virginia Tech being a little down this year, as many have stated, these suspensions do not take us out of the Coastal bidding.

Agreed all the way around.

What the NCAA decides to do as far as penalties for all of this is going to be CRUCIAL for the U going forward. If the penalty is equal to or more severe than USC's, the U is going to need a reincarnation of Howard Schellenberger to rebuild the program. Someone is going to have to cheat just as hard as he did, however he did it, to get all of those local kids to come to the U.

But, yea, UCF getting into one of the main conferences could help the U out a great deal because it will level the playing field a little in Florida. If everything happens at the right time, they could take more players away from UF and FSU than they do the U.

I don't know if we'll need a reincarnation of Scnellenberger. I think Golden is everything this program needs right now. He sells the product much better than Shannon ever did. The question is, will he stay after this season.

You're severely undercutting Al Golden and his ability as a recruiter, and coach. Also, sanctions are overrated. No loss of under 10 scholarships a year and a 1-2 year bowl ban is killing Miami. Every team can bounce back from sanctions with the right coach, which anyone but an FSU or UF fan would admit Miami has for the first time since Butch Davis. If Shantard or Coker was still coaching this team, then yea, RIP. With good coaching, Miami will always land most of who they want from So Fla, unlike Shantard, who created division between Miami and local high schools, that Golden has made it a top priority to mend relationships with, and Coker who just sucked, and liked looking out of state.

Couple of things. I am not well informed on the percentages of athletes that decide between UM, UF and FSU but with UM in trouble it seems to me that some of those kids may wind up at FIU, who could benefit from all this if there is to be a benefactor. Mario Cristobal is doing a helluva job building that program. Obviously they won't get the best players but that is a small school that could replace the U in popularity in South Florida. Of course on the flip side of this is I don't expect Al Golden to stick around. He got screwed and is taking the high road but I'll be surprised if he stays beyond 1 year. Enter Mario Cristobal??

The infamous pic of Shalala and Shapiro. Anyone know the date it was taken? If it's somewhat recent, she had to know who Shapiro was. She is close friends with Barry Alvarez who coincidentally, got ripped off by Shapiro. The picture doesn't show proof of anything but remember this is not a court of law and the NCAA only needs to suspect something happened.

Again, the death penalty is ridiculous talk but as WV put it, it may be a death penalty of sorts. A precedence may have been set by the NCAA with USC that if this is what Miami gets, may well set UM back to where they can't recover. A little more fuel into the fire is the possibility of FSU moving into the SEC leaving Miami out in the cold in an even sh***ier ACC should FSU leave.

Not to throw a damper on the Canes fans but you guys need to think about the big picture and just how bad the future may be. At the same time, those who hate the Canes need to realize that the NCAA won't impose another death penalty on a program.

Last, it's silly to think that this is worse then SMU or even the Pell Grant scandals. This is current which makes it stand out as the worst.

That pic isn't that recent. Shapiro has been in jail for quite some time now.

As far as FIU...you nailed it with Cristobal. The problem there is that he knows FIU is a springboard type job. Sun Belt conference...it will take a MASSIVE downfall of Miami and a complete uprising of FIU for those two to swap places. Cristobal might be there for a couple of years, but he'll bolt when the first job offer he gets hits the table.

Again. No sanctions but the DP or something similar to the DP are killing Miami unless the sanctions are forcing us to hire Randy Shannon as head coach again. Doesn't matter what program you are, if you have the right coach, they can and will survive. And FSU isn't moving to the SEC, just forget the possibility of that ever happening, unless Florida leaves the SEC.

As for the picture, I'm pretty sure that was taken in 2004 when Frank Haith was hired. It's already been stated that Shapiro hopped up, took the mic and donated 50 grand at random, at Frank Haith's introduction.

As for Cristobal, it's possible if Golden leaves. He was one of the finalists for the Miami job IIRC, and is a Miami alum.

I won that bet which I forgot all about, maybe I should get to work on a sig.

the bet was who would get drafted first - jenkins or harris - IF they were both in the damn thing. jenkins never entered - huge oops on his part considering - so no bet. but he definitely would've been nabbed before pick 60. you got lucky. don't be stupid.

Why wouldn't FSU move? The money the SEC can bring that school is something like 20 mil more per year.

Why wouldn't FSU move? The money the SEC can bring that school is something like 20 mil more per year.

They can attempt to move all they want to. Doesn't mean Florida is about to allow it to happen. I think we can just forget about FSU, Miami, GA Tech, Louisville, Clemson ever getting in. Wouldn't shock me if VA Tech tries hard to get in though.

VA Tech is the team if the SEC doesn't get Missouri. That TV market is what the sec wants to get into.

They can attempt to move all they want to. Doesn't mean Florida is about to allow it to happen. I think we can just forget about FSU, Miami, GA Tech, Louisville, Clemson ever getting in. Wouldn't shock me if VA Tech tries hard to get in though.

I assume then it has to be proven unanimously by other SEC schools? Because if it's a majority vote I can't see Florida wielding enough power to stop it.

We interrupt this serious-*** thread for some comedy:
[video=youtube;R73ack2Gjlo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R73ack2Gjlo[/video]

Back
Top Bottom