NE players reveal Cam Newton lost QB job more than Mac Jones earned it. FINS will eat | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NE players reveal Cam Newton lost QB job more than Mac Jones earned it. FINS will eat

Newton was the QB of the Patriots last year and they have the same OC this year that they had last year. So I really don’t think him not knowing the play book was the reason he was released. He was released because Belichick obviously believes Jones is better than Newman and is ready to be the Patriots starting QB.

Other than Lawrence, I believe Jones was the best QB in the 2021 draft and I was hoping a team would draft him before he dropped to the Patriots. Unfortunately the Patriots were able to draft him and the Dolphins are going to have to deal with him for the next 10-15 years.

Newton was the QB of the Patriots last year and they have the same OC this year that they had last year. So I really don’t think him not knowing the play book was the reason he was released. He was released because Belichick obviously believes Jones is better than Newman and is ready to be the Patriots starting QB.

Other than Lawrence, I believe Jones was the best QB in the 2021 draft and I was hoping a team would draft him before he dropped to the Patriots. Unfortunately the Patriots were able to draft him and the Dolphins are going to have to deal with him for the next 10-15 years.

Exactly! It's odd year number 2 after playing most of last season that he'd come in and practically not know the playbook? More insane a raw rookie was teaching it to him?

SOmething doesn't smell right with that story.

Also i wouldn's use words like "obviously!" There could be several reasons and that one is a possibilty.

Exactly! It's odd year number 2 after playing most of last season that he'd come in and practically not know the playbook? More insane a raw rookie was teaching it to him?

SOmething doesn't smell right with that story.

In Cam's defense he didn't have the same receivers. But in Patriots defense he didn't even throw 10 td's in his only season with them lol. Cam has never been one to have issues learning an offense so I do find it a bit odd.

In Cam's defense he didn't have the same receivers. But in Patriots defense he didn't even throw 10 td's in his only season with them lol. Cam has never been one to have issues learning an offense so I do find it a bit odd.
Newton had a running back room in Carolina that didn't require him to know a complex offense.

Yeah! I'm really thinkign learning the playbook is B.S. there's more to that story.

He had the same receivers Jones has. So that isn’t an excuse. I just believe Belichick thinks Jones is the better QB and he gives them the best chance to win. He also probably felt that Newton wasn’t going to be happy backing up Jones and that was likely a big consideration in deciding to release Newton.

If there were other reasons like Newton not getting vaccinated or some other issues. You will never find out those other reasons from Belichick because he doesn’t give out that information to the media or anyone outside the organization.

He had the same receivers Jones has. So that isn’t an excuse. I just believe Belichick thinks Jones is the better QB and he gives them the best chance to win. He also probably felt that Newton wasn’t going to be happy backing up Jones and that was likely a big consideration in deciding to release Newton.

If there were other reasons like Newton not getting vaccinated or some other issues. You will never find out those other reasons from Belichick because he doesn’t give out that information to the media or anyone outside the organization.
Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 5.30.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-07 at 5.31.25 PM.png

If Belichick had a problem with Newton learning the playbook, he would not have resigned him after last year.

Exactly! Which suggest there’s more to the story. Also even if he believes Mac to be better longer term why would you not keep Newton as a proven backup?

Just because he has different WR’s this year means absolutely nothing. Jones had the same WR’s as Newton did in training camp this year. Also with last year being Newton’s first with the Patriots, it was also the first time he played with the WR’s on the Patriots last year.

I really don’t understand the point you are trying to make by showing that the WR’s are different this year than they were last year.

Last edited:
Not if they resigned him before the draft and with Hoyer and the other kid as the only options.
So you are stating that Belichick would resign a QB who he knew didn’t know the playbook because he didn’t know if he would be able to draft a QB or not?
With a coach as highly detailed as Belichick, I just don’t buy it. You can tell me that Newton just doesn’t have it to be a starter anymore or his contract was too expensive to be a backup or even they cut him because he refused to get vaccinated. I’ll buy those reasons.

Yet I do not believe for one second that they cut him because he couldn’t learn the playbook.

So you are stating that Belichick would resign a QB who he knew didn’t know the playbook because he didn’t know if he would be able to draft a QB or not?
With a coach as highly detailed as Belichick, I just don’t buy it. You can tell me that Newton just doesn’t have it to be a starter anymore or his contract was too expensive to be a backup or even they cut him because he refused to get vaccinated. I’ll buy those reasons.

Yet I do not believe for one second that they cut him because he couldn’t learn the playbook.
That's not what I'm saying. Let me elaborate. If Cam was the best option going into the off season, and BB didn't have confidence in having the draft capital to move up, or that a QB they wanted would be available in the first 3 rounds that FIT their system, then yeah it's feasible.

Cam was well known for improvising with his legs because his progressions and reads weren't great. No huddle encompasses that to a degree.

The reports of Mac Jones helping Cam with the playbook was leaked by current players. It's not that BB isn't competent to evaluate Mac vs Cam. I'm not sold on Cam being that out of touch with the playbook. However, it reflects more on coaches and staff than Cam if they knew Cam didn't know the playbook like he should, and hid his inadequacies last year with limited play calling. How many times did Newton call his own number at the line? Many.

That's not what I'm saying. Let me elaborate. If Cam was the best option going into the off season, and BB didn't have confidence in having the draft capital to move up, or that a QB they wanted would be available in the first 3 rounds that FIT their system, then yeah it's feasible.

Cam was well known for improvising with his legs because his progressions and reads weren't great. No huddle encompasses that to a degree.

The reports of Mac Jones helping Cam with the playbook was leaked by current players. It's not that BB isn't competent to evaluate Mac vs Cam. I'm not sold on Cam being that out of touch with the playbook. However, it reflects more on coaches and staff than Cam if they knew Cam didn't know the playbook like he should, and hid his inadequacies last year with limited play calling. How many times did Newton call his own number at the line? Many.
Belichick knew exactly who Newton was at QB and he signed him before the draft simply because he felt he was better than the other QB‘s in free agency. He signed him instead of Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Dalton, and even Brissett who was previously drafted by the Patriots.

So while he had no idea at the time the Patriots would get a QB in the first round of the draft. He thought enough of Newton that he signed him instead of other free agent QB’s who were available in free agency and Newton would have likely been the starter in 2021 if they had not been able to draft Jones.

If not being able to learn the playbook was really an issue, Belichick certainly had other options at the time to sign a QB who would be better learning the playbook and likely a better QB on the field.

If in fact the coaches were aware of issues Newton had in learning the playbook and they decided to sign him anyway, that just doesn’t make sense. That is why I think it was something else or several things which led to his release and not the rumors that he didn’t know the playbook.

Back
Top Bottom