NEW CB KENDALL FULLER | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NEW CB KENDALL FULLER

So here’s some food for thought::

- Miami has improved their Secondary from last year, they’ve improved their LB’ers from last year and it happened for pennies on the dollar while we were busy trying to figure out how Grier was gonna replace Wilkins.

It sure seems like the value was in shoring up the back 7 while waiting for 2nd wave free agency/draft to fill in the DL rotation.

Grier zigged while we were all waiting for the zag. I’ve always been about a 60/40 Grier guy- so not adamant one way or the other, but I think early on, this might prove to be his finest offseason and that’s considering the first 24 hrs of free agency will go down being billed as ‘The Day The Dolphins Died’.

Those paying attention had a pretty good idea that our biggest FAs were looking to hit the market. And those who see FA for what it is knew it's where a player usually gets top dollar from someone with money to spend and a pressing need at the position.

So we pretty much understood that Wilkins, Hunt and even most likely Van Ginkel were gone considering their capacity for production and the likelihood someone out there had money to spend at their positions.

We also knew that players like Raekwon Davis hadn't really done enough to justify a 2nd contract. No surprise he's gone.

Neither had Brandon Jones for that matter, especially considering the money he got from Denver. No way were we paying that to keep a rotational piece.

And even Deshon Elliott was someone the team obviously decided they didn't want. I'm fine with that. He's JAG-level talent really.

We were never really in the race for any of those players--and we knew that.

Thus, we're doing what we can finding a few starter-level guys on the cheap:
> Jonnu Smith (TE)
> Jordyn Brooks (LB)
> Jordan Poyer (S)
> Kendall Fuller (CB)

And a few rotational pieces:
> Aaron Brewer (C)*
> Benito Jones (DT)
> Nick Needham (Slot CB)
> Robert Jones (G)
> Siran Neal (CB / ST)

*I list Brewer as a "we'll see what happens" type of signing. We honestly want more than what he brings. Hopefully the coaches straighten him out.

This Kendall Fuller addition looks like another David Long / Zach Sieler type of steal, so that's great. We need those.

Let's reduce the Tyreek Hill / Bradley Chubb stuff where we send R1 picks away and bid against ourselves in long-term contract extensions for $100M+ and starting getting more of these high-value guys who can produce without the same level of investment.

A secondary package with Ramsey - Poyer - Holland - Needham/Kohuo - Fuller looks really nice for what we're paying.

Mission Objective #1 is looking pretty good >> get cheaper and find guys who can play.

LOVE IT!

Mission #2 will probably be using that R1 pick on OL and reinforcing that unit. We need an OT who can step in at G this year and bump out to LT next year when Armstead retires.

Mission #3 will be using the R2 and R5 picks we have to add players who (hopefully) don't disappoint (a la Raekwon, Eichenberg, Hunter Long, Cam Smith, etc.) which has too often been the case with Grier. Far too often we get nothing from those guys.

We MUST to get good production from our R2 pick this year. We need cheap talent going forward and have to get off the bust-train with these mid-round picks.

A long-term solution at DT might make sense in R2 but I could also see maybe a WR or TE to add to the offense. The WR class is deep, the need for a 3rd option in the offense is there and it would be nice to have something on the roster backing up Hill & Waddle against injury or long-term departure.

Last edited:
Oh, they’ll be back the second the first touchdown is allowed or an injury occurs. They are like Cyanobacteria. The second it warms up there’s the red tide smell….

So this is the thing. Grier has killed it in FA since the Tunsil trade. Dude has the Midas Touch in mid March. It's undeniable. I love Chris Grier in March ... he's the ****ing man.

But you can't build your team through FA. You just can't. GMs that are worth their weight in gold have a constant stream of young drafted talent ready to step in for guys they can no longer afford.

Holland is the only player drafted by this team slated to start on the defense with no one waiting in the wings to take over. Think about that for a second. Like really think about it. Is this a sustainable blueprint for success?

He is hitting on picks at a higher rate ... the ones he hasn't traded for other FA, that is ... so after 20 years with the team and a decade in his current gig, there's hope. He has very slowly grown into the job after very adeptly shielding himself from blame for past failures.

I'm still game to like the guy if he consistently drafts well. But at least have the foresight to recognize that if he doesn't, and it puts us in this loop of needing FA to make up for shitty drafting, that this is a reason why the fins can't get over the hump and people don't like him.

At least give me that much benefit of the doubt based on a staunch record of knowing what the **** I'm talking about on this site for 15+ years. Beware the Ides of March.

Fuller is also a fantastic signing. And to get him cheaper than expected ... atta ****in boy. Now get me some oline in April and all of a sudden there isn't much to complain about.

Last edited:
Phillips will be hurt when the season starts (probably) and the other 2 are on offense. Don't cherry pick. You're better than that.
You do have to wait until the Draft is over to know who else may be starting....but we just lost 4 by other teams grabbing them at prices we couldn't meet or wouldn't. We cut 2 others X and Baker. Wilkins, Jones, AVG, & R. Davis. All draft picks, we haven't drafted DT's and LB's since, except for Tindall. Our owner lost us a first round pick last year and a 3rd this year. Can't say we didn't draft well based on the prices some teams were willing to pay to take our draft picks. Cam Smith is in the saddle and may ride this year. Basically, the players we drafted and lost were on D this year. Stuff happens, now we reload starting this draft. Even one of our best drafted O person got a rediculous offer to leave and if I were him, I'd take that offer too.

Not sure if it's been posted but too good to not make sure - Ryder nails it again.

BE SURE TO LIKE RYDER'S BREAKDOWNS IT HELPS HIM AND We DON'T WANT TO LOSE HIM DOING HIS AWESOME BREAKDOWNS!!!

You do have to wait until the Draft is over to know who else may be starting....but we just lost 4 by other teams grabbing them at prices we couldn't meet or wouldn't. We cut 2 others X and Baker. Wilkins, Jones, AVG, & R. Davis. All draft picks, we haven't drafted DT's and LB's since, except for Tindall. Our owner lost us a first round pick last year and a 3rd this year. Can't say we didn't draft well based on the prices some teams were willing to pay to take our draft picks. Cam Smith is in the saddle and may ride this year. Basically, the players we drafted and lost were on D this year. Stuff happens, now we reload starting this draft. Even one of our best drafted O person got a rediculous offer to leave and if I were him, I'd take that offer too.

I got 10 years to look back on and judge. No need to wait for this one but hoping for the best.

The other bummer about bad drafting is you can't afford the guys you hit on when the bill comes due because of all the free agents and the lack of cheap, drafted talent. Some won't be missed (X, Davis) and others got paid way too much (Wilkins, Hunt) so they got off easy but Gink was a kick in the nuts so I'll just go with the 'he really wanted to be closer to home' narrative/nonsense.

We have Cam Smith and Tindall as the non starters we drafted who are presumably the next men up. People wondered why it all went to **** once injuries started piling up. Hence the term paper tiger. Can't have the depth you need to weather the storm when the games really matter if the drafting isn't up to snuff. You gotta have a steady stream of those guys or else it just doesn't work. Full stop.

Those paying attention had a pretty good idea that our biggest FAs were looking to hit the market. And those who see FA for what it is knew it's where a player usually gets top dollar from someone with money to spend and a pressing need at the position.

So we pretty much understood that Wilkins, Hunt and even most likely Van Ginkel were gone considering their capacity for production and the likelihood someone out there had money to spend at their positions.

We also knew that players like Raekwon Davis hadn't really done enough to justify a 2nd contract. No surprise he's gone.

Neither had Brandon Jones for that matter, especially considering the money he got from Denver. No way were we paying that to keep a rotational piece.

And even Deshon Elliott was someone the team obviously decided they didn't want. I'm fine with that. He's JAG-level talent really.

We were never really in the race for any of those players--and we knew that.

Thus, we're doing what we can finding a few starter-level guys on the cheap:
> Jonnu Smith (TE)
> Jordyn Brooks (LB)
> Jordan Poyer (S)
> Kendall Fuller (CB)

And a few rotational pieces:
> Aaron Brewer (C)*
> Benito Jones (DT)
> Nick Needham (Slot CB)
> Robert Jones (G)
> Siran Neal (CB / ST)

*I list Brewer as a "we'll see what happens" type of signing. We honestly want more than what he brings. Hopefully the coaches straighten him out.

This Kendall Fuller addition looks like another David Long / Zach Sieler type of steal, so that's great. We need those.

Let's reduce the Tyreek Hill / Bradley Chubb stuff where we send R1 picks away and bid against ourselves in long-term contract extensions for $100M+ and starting getting more of these high-value guys who can produce without the same level of investment.

A secondary package with Ramsey - Poyer - Holland - Needham/Kohuo - Fuller looks really nice for what we're paying.

Mission Objective #1 is looking pretty good >> get cheaper and find guys who can play.

LOVE IT!

Mission #2 will probably be using that R1 pick on OL and reinforcing that unit. We need an OT who can step in at G this year and bump out to LT next year when Armstead retires.

Mission #3 will be using the R2 and R5 picks we have to add players who (hopefully) don't disappoint (a la Raekwon, Eichenberg, Hunter Long, Cam Smith, etc.) which has too often been the case with Grier. Far too often we get nothing from those guys.

We MUST to get good production from our R2 pick this year. We need cheap talent going forward and have to get off the bust-train with these mid-round picks.

A long-term solution at DT might make sense in R2 but I could also see maybe a WR or TE to add to the offense. The WR class is deep, the need for a 3rd option in the offense is there and it would be nice to have something on the roster backing up Hill & Waddle against injury or long-term departure.
“Those paying attention”, lol. 99% of this fan base knew exactly what was about to happen this offseason.

I'd also like to add it's literally impossible to have that albatross of a QB contract on your books if you have to rely on (and not *supplement with*) FA.

I'll stop talking about it now. Thread is about Fuller and that is a fantastic signing at a great number.

Back
Top Bottom