New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one

dlockz

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
So you are telling me a week ago they had TCU as thier 3rd best team but somehow even though they blew out a weaker team but non the less dominated them they are suddenly the 6th best team.
The whole committe is a fraud. One day we will have a real college football playoff but its damn sure not here. I still advocate a sixteen team playoff like lesser divisions.
In any format teams will get left out but outside of Fl St and even including them you could make arguments that none of these teams has proven to be better than TCU or Baylor.
Ohio St barely beat Penn St in overtime

So you are telling me a week ago they had TCU as thier 3rd best team but somehow even though they blew out a weaker team but non the less dominated them they are suddenly the 6th best team.
The whole committe is a fraud. One day we will have a real college football playoff but its damn sure not here. I still advocate a sixteen team playoff like lesser divisions.
In any format teams will get left out but outside of Fl St and even including them you could make arguments that none of these teams has proven to be better than TCU or Baylor.
Ohio St barely beat Penn St in overtime
I think 16 is a little too many. I think 8 is a good number. If you can't get into an 8 team playoff, you don't deserve to be in.

The solutions is simple. Instead of making it subjective, make it objective. Voting people into a playoff is silly in and of itself.

There are around 120 FBS teams.

Create 8 divisions of 10 teams each. Each team plays all 9 of the other teams in their division each season. Each team can play up to 3 games outside of their division each season. Teams can reserve these games for long standing rivalries outside of their division and/or throw in a cupcake kind of game as a warm up to start the season or a mid season break. Hell, a team can play 2 cupcake games if they so choose, because these games will not factor into the divisional standings.

At the end of the season, the teams 9 game divisional record determines who the champion of the division is. The team with the best record in the division wins the championship. For tiebreakers, a scenario like the one the NFL uses for playoff seeding is used. There are no co-champions.

The 8 divisional champions play in an 8 team playoff to determine a national champion. It really is that simple. No voting. The teams play each other. If you win your division, you have the opportunity to win a national title. Every team knows at the beginning of the season what they need to accomplish. The rules are fair for everyone.

The other 40 teams are placed into 5 team subdivisions of each of the main divisions. Those teams play the other 4 teams in their subdivision, as well as 5 teams from another subdivision, and up to 3 games of their own choosing. At seasons end, each team who finishes first in their subdivision, gets to advance into the main division the next season. The team who finishes last in the main division each season, falls to the subdivision, being replaced by its respective winner.

That is how it is done. Any system you set up in which teams are "voted" in, whether it be by a committee, a bunch of writers, or some computer formulas is going to leave things open for debate. If we had last year's system, FSU would have never gotten moved from #1 and everyone knows it. The game would be #2 Bama vs. #1 FSU for the title and Oregon fans would be pissed. This way is slightly better because we will wind up with Oregon vs Bama and those are probably the teams that deserve to play. The reality is that FSU's body of work demonstrates they are really about the 15th best team in the country, but they are in because they are undefeated.

No matter how many teams you choose to take in some voting system, there will be controversy. If we went with 8 teams, who would be the 7th and 8th teams this year? Would they be 2 teams who are really deserving of the chance? If you ask me, Ole Miss is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country, but they would not be playing even if you took 8 teams. TCU and Baylor would be in, but who would be 7 and 8? Mich St and Miss St I suppose, but wouldnt some other 2 loss team have a case to bitch if those 2 teams got in? It is all very stupid IMHO.

I like the new college playoff system.

The problem with the old BCS system was that there were sometimes 3 teams that could legitimately claim they were #1.

For example, this year, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St all have a legit claim that they are #1.

So the way I see it, whether TCU, Ohio State, or Baylor got the final playoff spot, they should just consider it a gift.

I like the new college playoff system.

The problem with the old BCS system was that there were sometimes 3 teams that could legitimately claim they were #1.

For example, this year, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St all have a legit claim that they are #1.

So the way I see it, whether TCU, Ohio State, or Baylor got the final playoff spot, they should just consider it a gift.

Why is Oregon or even Alabama truly any better than TCU or Baylor both teams lost.
Alabama lost to a Mississipi team that was blown out by Arkansas. BArely beat Arkansas.

Oregon lost to Arizona and struggled against lowely Wash St.

TCU lost to Baylor on road. Struggled with W virginia and Kansas

Baylor lost at West Virginia and only struggled with Texas Tech

ohio St lost to 6-6 Va Tech by two touchdowns at home
went to overtime to win versus 6-6 Penn St.
Came close to losing to Minnesota

Ohio St should not have leapfrogged them for beating a very average Wisconson team

Not sure why people think 16 is too many . there are like 120 schools . Every other division does 16 teams. Not very complicated.
I could deal with 8 but 4 teams is not enough.

Solution basically put all teams in conferences of like 14 teams. Each conference will have their championship game then all conference champions move to 8 team playoff

I'm not surprised in the least. It's all about money and which matchups will bring the most revenue. Nothing more to be said.

money400-1.jpg

I'm not surprised in the least. It's all about money and which matchups will bring the most revenue. Nothing more to be said.

money400-1.jpg

I would give the Committe the benefit of the doubt but TCU was number 3 ahead of Fl St a week ago.
Somehow Ohio ST and FL ST jump them.

Why is Oregon or even Alabama truly any better than TCU or Baylor both teams lost.

I don't watch every college football game. But in the AP poll, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St were the only teams that got significant number of 1st place votes.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

Among people who follow college football closely, there seems to be a consensus that those 3 teams are the only ones that could be considered #1.

Under the old BCS system, one of those teams would have been left out, which was a huge problem.

But under the new CFP system, all 3 will make it.

I don't watch every college football game. But in the AP poll, Alabama, Oregon, Florida St were the only teams that got significant number of 1st place votes.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

Among people who follow college football closely, there seems to be a consensus that those 3 teams are the only ones that could be considered #1.

Under the old BCS system, one of those teams would have been left out, which was a huge problem.

But under the new CFP system, all 3 will make it.

Ohio St jumping makes everything on this committee quite flawed. A week ago they were 6th now all of a sudden when none of the teams above them struggled they jump to three.
We still have no playoff or true champion but oh well.
TCU was ranked above Florida St by this committee. They blew out iowa St while FSU strugggled against Ga Tech.

I thought Brett McMurphy's tweet was spot on:

If Baylor or TCU’s jerseys said Texas or Oklahoma, wouldn’t have been left out

I disagree. I think that if Ohio State benefited from favoritism, it was because of geography. Adding Ohio State makes a more geographically diverse college football playoff, and thus higher national ratings.

I disagree. I think that if Ohio State benefited from favoritism, it was because of geography. Adding Ohio State makes a more geographically diverse college football playoff, and thus higher national ratings.

I wouldn't necessarily call it favoritism. I would call it, "more national recognition for the inaugural playoffs" (which I took as his point) AND "the easier decision to make" (which I believe to be implied).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy that we finally have a playoff in college football as it totally eliminates the controversy we had with the BCS.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/2014-...yoff-selection-committee-acc-bowl-lineup-2014

The committee knew exactly what it was doing in elevating Mississippi State above Michigan State in the final rankings, all without having played a game, and having lost its last game by two touchdowns to Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl. Earlier in the week, Big Ten athletic directors, of which Alvarez is one, were informed of this very scenario: that one of its bowl-eligible teams could be left out of the postseason altogether. So the selection committee can't really plead ignorance on the ramifications of ranking Mississippi State ahead of Michigan State, since Alvarez, for one, knew exactly what impact the move would have on the Big Ten's bowl lineup.

By sending Mississippi State to the Orange, Michigan State was free to scoop up another New Year's Six at-large spot (Peach Bowl), while the Big Ten retained its Citrus Bowl slot, which would go to Minnesota. All 10 Big Ten bowl teams found homes, while the ACC had to scramble to find a replacement slot for its 12th bowl-eligible team.

In an even more nefarious twist, three of the four schools that were eligible for the ACC's "Tier II" bowl slots—Miami, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech—were former Big East members (Hi, Tranghese!). So one of those three would have to scramble to find a bowl slot at all (in hindsight, North Carolina probably wasn't getting left out). That the conference was able to find a bowl slot at all for that 12th team on Sunday—Pittsburgh would land in the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Houston—was a minor miracle.

Back
Top Bottom