New OC Chan Gailey system is a perfect fit - For Josh Rosen | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New OC Chan Gailey system is a perfect fit - For Josh Rosen

As I was doing my research trying to find as much out about Gailey and the Rosen situation one thought did come to me that perhaps O'Shea was released because Flores was unhappy with his development of Josh Rosen and he felt the system wasn't the right fit for him.

I think there is definitely truth to this idea. Flores doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy that would be happy to not get value out of a player we traded a 2nd round pick for. Heck, I saw a mock draft today where a team trades up for Tua and we pick Andrew Thomas at 5, followed by Tyler Biadasz at 18 and D’Andre Swift at 26. A part of me wouldn’t be surprised if we rolled with Fitzpatrick and Rosen another year and that draft would certainly help.

I was at the UCLA-Stanford game in Rosen's senior year. I didn't see anything spectacular about the kid, but after Miami traded for him, all I've done is root for him. You people that root against him because of his religion, skin color, or just due to the fact that he's not the QB you were hoping to get this year, would make me want to vomit, if your opinion really mattered to me. As it is, all I really think is that you're pathetic.

It would be nice if Rosen is " THE GUY" and Flores is keeping it under wraps.
Nothing would make me happier than to fill some other needs in this draft and next years draft.

Getting the opportunity to learn from Fitz should be viewed as a blessing for him. I sure hope he realizes that and is absorbing all he can to become a leader for this team.

1. Great original post.
2. One never knows how a change of system will affect a QB...a la Tannehill, a la Joe Burrow. Who would have thought that those 2 guys, prior to this year, would have the years they had?
3. I am not reading too much into the fact that Rosen never got back into a game as the season went on. I think Miami said, after things started poorly, that they were going to sit him, period. Let him learn behind Fitzpatrick. I also think keeping Fitzpatrick in kept the team motivated and believing in the current direction. A switch between seasons from one QB to another is much different psychologically to teammates than an in season switch. Plus Rosen now will have a full off season with the team.
4. So here's a nugget a buddy of mine threw out there- poo poo it if you want, that's fine, it's just a random thought: Miami trades up to one for Burrow. His reasoning: Cincinnati is too cheap to pay that second contract to a number one overall pick. They take the #5 and our 18, draft a QB at 5(like Herbert), and save the $$ on the 2nd contract.
I know there are arguments against this- Ohio native Burrow would be a golden fit, Cincinnati would want more picks than just an 18. But Mike Brown is notoriously tight with his money, and to get out of that big second contract Miami might just say 5 and 18 is all we will give, take it or leave it. We actually have some leverage because we can sit at 5 and still draft a stud. QB's will be available at 5 and Mike Brown knows it. And who else can match that trade with this year's picks? Desperate to save $$, the Bengals bengal and do it.
It also wouldn't surprise me if Burrow's agent doesn't let him know a future in Cincinnati may not be promising and helps smooth the waters for said trade.
I'm not sure I'm all in on that theory, but it was sure a fun discussion.

Last edited:
I was at the UCLA-Stanford game in Rosen's senior year. I didn't see anything spectacular about the kid, but after Miami traded for him, all I've done is root for him. You people that root against him because of his religion, skin color, or just due to the fact that he's not the QB you were hoping to get this year, would make me want to vomit, if your opinion really mattered to me. As it is, all I really think is that you're pathetic.
You post that bolded part yet i have seen you in many posts criticize Tua for some of the same things. Hypocritical posts run rampant in here.

1. Great original post.
2. One never knows how a change of system will affect a QB...a la Tannehill, a la Joe Burrow. Who would have thought that those 2 guys, prior to this year, would have the years they had?
3. I am not reading too much into the fact that Rosen never got back into a game as the season went on. I think Miami said, after things started poorly, that they were going to sit him, period. Let him learn behind Fitzpatrick. I also think keeping Fitzpatrick in kept the team motivated and believing in the current direction. A switch between seasons from one QB to another is much different psychologically to teammates than an in season switch. Plus Rosen now will have a full off season with the team.
4. So here's a nugget a buddy of mine threw out there- poo poo it if you want, that's fine, it's just a random thought: Miami trades up to one for Burrow. His reasoning: Cincinnati is too cheap to pay that second contract to a number one overall pick. They take the #5 and our 18, draft a QB at 5(like Herbert), and save the $$ on the 2nd contract.
I know there are arguments against this- Ohio native Burrow would be a golden fit, Cincinnati would want more picks than just an 18. But Mike Brown is notoriously tight with his money, and to get out of that big second contract Miami might just say 5 and 18 is all we will give, take it or leave it. We actually have some leverage because we can sit at 5 and still draft a stud. QB's will be available at 5 and Mike Brown knows it. And who else can match that trade with this year's picks? Desperate to save $$, the Bengals bengal and do it.
I'm not sure I'm all in on that theory, but it was sure a fun discussion.

I agree with your friend's point. I think that's much more likely than the compensation mentioned in the recent trade up rumor article. We are in too sweet a spot to want to spend much to improve it. UNLESS, we are sure it really IS an improvement. However, I still would not want to do it at that price. For all we know, Burrow will fall to us at 5 due to the Bengals being cheap.

He never had a true franchise QB. He was well known to be highly adaptable and get the most out of QBs. One offense featured a lot of play action (with Fiedler), the other featured a spread offense (with Tyler Thigpen) and also a power run offense with QBs like Kordell Steward and Mike Tomsczak. Fitzpatrick had some of his best years under him.
Besides being an offensive genius (in some ways) he is great in developing players and tailoring an offense to the players he has.

Having Chan Gailey on the staff bolds well for any QB (be it a vet like Fitzpatrick or a young guy like Rosen or a newly drafted QB), RB and OL player. With Chan Gailey the question about QBs is not answered. It opens up everything. Only guarantee there is that Fitzpatrick will be here either as a mentor or as a starter. Any other QB is open. If the staff feels good with our current threesome we will bypass QBs this draft. If they are not sure or are not convinced we may draft a QB.
If I look at the switch Rosen's chances increased while with O'Shea we probably would have drafted a QB for sure. O'Shea was never a fan of Rosen. Rosen was a Flores/Grier trade.

Our offseason will definitely be very interesting.

So much left to learn about Tua's health. Not only how soon he could return but long term as well. That's a major question to be answered IMO. I'm sure they will assign a value to him at that point....meaning maybe they would spend #5 on him but anything further may put them out of the market. Or maybe they value him enough to spend a few picks.

If they feel relatively confident going into the season with the current QB depth, it allows us to sit at 5 and see if he falls that far....but that will depend on how much they value Tua.

I would have a hard time believing that many scouts grade Rosen better than Tua with a good prognosis.

Like you said, definitely interesting story yet to unfold.

Back
Top Bottom