Nfl development league | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl development league

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I was just reading this http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...cent-wants-to-explore-a-developmental-league/ and I thought it was a great idea

Ive always said the nfl needs a soccer style reserve league. Each team should have a reserve team (maybe a baseball minor league team is the same idea?) and these squads should actively play against each other and have their own little league etc.

It would allow the likes of golden boy devlin and under perofrming players like gillislee or egnew to show their development and what they could do while playing in the teams system.

My idea for it would be to simply expand the practice squads and not pay the players involved much.... dont like it dont do it, this is your way to show you deserve an nfl deal.

I would also have special rules such as your only allowed maybe three players more than 3 years out of college or something along those lines.

Im not saying this would be a constant production line of talent, but it would produce players and it would help develop project players and could even help proper nfl players ease back into the flow of things from injury, loss of form etc.

Hell it will probably never happen but I for one think it would be a great thing for the league. And if they did put games online or something I would watch lol

But players like Devlin would probably rather get paid minimum for 3rd string than get paid crap to start in the minor. This would be good for people like tebow. Lol

But players like Devlin would probably rather get paid minimum for 3rd string than get paid crap to start in the minor. This would be good for people like tebow. Lol

With a system like this in place the likes of devlin would be given the choice of playing in this or retiring lol

Tebow is an extreme example of the sort of player it would be perfect for

I like the idea....give those acorns some more time to develop and give those who are late bloomers (WAKE) a better shot of having a career.

I like the idea....give those acorns some more time to develop and give those who are late bloomers (WAKE) a better shot of having a career.

Exactly and for example ive heard Philbin just last year bemoan that after some player (I forget who it was) had a great offseason he fell behind during the season because the staff have no time for teaching during the season.

Also we lost players like randall and samuda last year who eventually got picked up after we cut them as they couldnt go on the ps due to obsure rules... a year in a system like this and they could have been in a position to contribute this year.

And how often do you hear hoops or tv talking heads say that player x could be a good starting guard or reciever if he could just bulk up ... well here ya go.

Its also a good way for young coaches to get their start and prove themselves to the team.

All in all I think it would be very good for the nfl

We already had a development league in the NFL Europe league, but the NFL closed that league because it couldn't sustain itself. I don't see us trying it again only a few years after the original was closed.

Back
Top Bottom