7 215 Kheeston Randall DT Texas
7 227 Rishard Matthews WR Nevada-Reno

1 15 Mike Pouncey C Florida
2 62 Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State
4 111 Edmond Gates WR Abilene Christian
6 174 Charles Clay RB Tulsa
7 231 Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M
7 235 Jimmy Wilson DB Montana

Lets group off Will Davis, Jenkins, Don Jones, Egnew, Kaddu, Cunningham, Randall, Matthews and Gates. Other names that immediatly come to mind are Brenner, Bumphis, Francis, Kovaks, McCray, Fulller, Samuda, Shelby and of course Pat "better than Tannehill" Devlin.

Some of these players will make it in the NFL, others wont

However at the end of off season 1, the staff knew all these guys needed more work before they were ready to properly contribute.

so what did Ireland and Philbin do? Make them season long inactve players forced to get no teaching or development whilst playing on the scout team and taking up a valuable roster spot? Or cut them, try to put them on the PS and get equally little development or even lose them entirely. Of course not..... they were sent to play for the Palm Beach Fins where they were central players, playing on a scheme based on the foundations of the Dolphins scheme. They were constantly coached up like in the offseason, all played hundreds of snaps and in year 2 went into Dolphins camp significantly better than they were at the end of the year 1 off-season.

That sounds real nice and all, but when you have a developmental guy who goes undrafted by the NFL, if he can go play in the CFL or Arena League and get paid decent money, why would he play for the Palm Beach Fins for $100/game.

nobody is saying its for part time Burger king money but even NFL PS players are damn well paid it can be less than that and still be worth your time. Anyway if the players want to go to the Arena league good luck to them they are welcome to turn down a place in an NFL club, with NFL coaching staff and the main coaching staff constantly keeping an eye on their progress... see how the arena league works out in comparison. Its a gateway to earn a place in the NFL, its not an easy payday

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

ha ha how bout we just draft better...fml

so you dont think there are many unpolished players coming out every year particularly undrafted free agents that after a bit more development could develop into decent nfl players? Surpising

a get out of jail free card for ****ty gms...lmao

where guys like will davis and dallas thomas and michael egnew can practice their overdrafted crafts...too funny

where jelani jenkins can try and "learn" instincts...

I think it's a great idea, but yeah it will never happen. Money. Why would the NFL offer to bankroll a struggling non money making JR. league when they get the NCAA for free? Not to mention the partnership (and believe me it's a beneficial partnership) would be tarnished between the NCAA and the NFL. Neither one would have it. If you can't cut it after being drafted to the NFL, you get a couple years to develop. If the player doesn't develop, there's thousands of young, ready players to replace you....in the FREE Development league, the NCAA.

nobody is saying its for part time Burger king money but even NFL PS players are damn well paid it can be less than that and still be worth your time. Anyway if the players want to go to the Arena league good luck to them they are welcome to turn down a place in an NFL club, with NFL coaching staff and the main coaching staff constantly keeping an eye on their progress... see how the arena league works out in comparison. Its a gateway to earn a place in the NFL, its not an easy payday

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

so you dont think there are many unpolished players coming out every year particularly undrafted free agents that after a bit more development could develop into decent nfl players? Surpising

Regardless of what intangible value you think it brings to the NFL, any supplemental NFL league has to be for profit, which everyone seems to be forgetting.

Serious question: how many people would honestly pay money to go see a Palm Beach Fins game played on a a high school football field with guys who couldn't make an NFL roster? We struggle to get Sun Life Stadium half full for a professional football game, let alone trying to turn a profit on selling bleacher seats to a scrub game.

Regardless of what intangible value you think it brings to the NFL, any supplemental NFL league has to be for profit, which everyone seems to be forgetting.

Serious question: how many people would honestly pay money to go see a Palm Beach Fins game played on a a high school football field with guys who couldn't make an NFL roster? We struggle to get Sun Life Stadium half full for a professional football game, let alone trying to turn a profit on selling bleacher seats to a scrub game.

Frankly if you want a development league you accept it wont be a million pound a day business and it wont have huge fanbases especially in Miami of all places. But things like this do exist across a great many sports and you take on the issues if you go with it. I only brought it up after the NFL mentioned it and I personally think it would be a good expense for teams who frankly could can afford it without even noticing the money was gone. If the palm Beach fins produces one Cam Wake then the money is never mentioned again.

How much is a million pounds???

Wont work bc of $$

it wont make the owners and execs any more money, and they sure as hell wont run a charity league.

I would like to see some league like this with maybe 8 teams. NFL teams can still keep ownership of a player and they can play in this league.

What you are proposing is 32 "minor league teams" I don't see that working..

I'd love to see a Spring developmental football league that follows nfl rules. People get bored when football is off the air, I'd love to have a few games to watch at this time of year. I do think we'd have to cut it down to 8 or 12 teams, rather than 32.

Seems like a good idea to me. Nfl Europe helped guys like jake delhomme and Kurt Warner lead teams to a SB appearance and a win in warners case. The nba and mlb both benefit from a minor league.

Guess who else started in Europe Jon Kitna, Jay Fielder, Brad Johnson, Damon Huard.

the NFL lite is a great idea. however for all the reasons you can't get people to pay to go to the real game, you can't sell tickets to watch 3rd stringers pretend to be first stringers. it's been tried before, and no business model makes it viable.

Back
Top Bottom