Nfl development league | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl development league

the NFL lite is a great idea. however for all the reasons you can't get people to pay to go to the real game, you can't sell tickets to watch 3rd stringers pretend to be first stringers. it's been tried before, and no business model makes it viable.

What if you make tickets cheap like we have the Brevard manatees here as minor league MLB. Tickets are cheap. You just can't get greedy. Your paying these guys cheap so you have to charge cheap. I'm not sure what tickets cost in the XFL or Europe or any other football league tried out. But I'm sure overcharging was the issue

you can go watch patrick turner butcher the wr position dirt cheap in a developmental league if you want to and every other scrub draft pick that just needed "time"...i'll pass

i think you just need to put the teams in cities that usually sell out. maybe have 14 teams in the minor league. definitely wouldn't put a team in florida. lol

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

you can go watch patrick turner butcher the wr position dirt cheap in a developmental league if you want to and every other scrub draft pick that just needed "time"...i'll pass

yeah, i'd rather read finheaven on the weekend, during the offseason. lol

The NFL is too violent for a minor league system. By the time guys proved themselves, they'd already be too old or damaged for the NFL. We have FA for when managers screw up and good players go undrafted.

There are not enough Cam Wakes selling insurance somewhere out there to justify building out a whole league to find them.

Decent Idea. move to smaller cities like norfolk and whatnot. Gives players a chance to show what they have on the field

What if you make tickets cheap like we have the Brevard manatees here as minor league MLB. Tickets are cheap. You just can't get greedy. Your paying these guys cheap so you have to charge cheap. I'm not sure what tickets cost in the XFL or Europe or any other football league tried out. But I'm sure overcharging was the issue

Agreed with the cheap tickets. The Sky Sox games in Colorado Springs is always a fun time. Plus they have theme nights to attract people to the games.

The XFL's problem is it was billed as extreme football. Because it was Vince McMahon people assumed they were going to get football with folding chair shots.

Agreed with the cheap tickets. The Sky Sox games in Colorado Springs is always a fun time. Plus they have theme nights to attract people to the games.

The XFL's problem is it was billed as extreme football. Because it was Vince McMahon people assumed they were going to get football with folding chair shots.
Agreed didn't they use the race to the football as the coin toss? Just silly. And yes nhl has a minor league too

Tickets are cheap because baseball is cheap to operate. And just FYI, lots of minor league players have multimillion dollar contracts contingent upon them going to the majors.

The ideal situation might be something similar to what you have in hockey where there's an independent league that starts at age 16. Those players get stipends, but there are rumors of the best players getting under the table payments. Players are draft eligible at 18, and the NHL team has the right to sign those players until age 21. Some NHL draft picks end up playing in the NCAA, while others stay in junior, until they're ready to make the jump to the pros.

You can adjust the ages to reflect the different physical nature of the NFL, but ultimately it does away with the notion that all players for SEC teams are really "student athletes". If a player wants to play in the NCAA, and wants to work towards a degree he can. If he just wants to devote all of his time to football, and get paid something to do it, it's actually better for all parties involved. The college teams still will get plenty of talented players, and more players that actually want to work towards a degree will have an opportunity for an athletic scholarship.

Basically, it would be a system where the Ryan Tannehill's of the world will play in the NCAA, while Julius Peppers type players could get a little money in their pocket before making the jump to the pros. In the meantime, someone who would otherwise be a borderline Division I player would end up getting a shot at an athletic scholarship, and get an education that he would actually use in the process. At the same time, NFL teams wouldn't have to worry about investing a lot of money in a separate developmental league.

Unfortunately, in order for it to work, you would need a lot of rich guys to come together to build the infrastructure and marketing efforts to get it off the ground. A lot of those rich guys though are already boosters for NCAA programs. The current system has way too much inertia going for it, and, if anything, the rules for pro eligibility only tend to get ratcheted up instead of relaxed.

the NFL lite is a great idea. however for all the reasons you can't get people to pay to go to the real game, you can't sell tickets to watch 3rd stringers pretend to be first stringers. it's been tried before, and no business model makes it viable.

If you do it it would have to be done as a development focused thing and accept it will not be a money maker. Thays why I said it was like a reserve league those play in front of usually very small crowds, dont make money but they benefit the club in terms of players so they take the hit. You get one or two players and its worth it

If you do it it would have to be done as a development focused thing and accept it will not be a money maker. Thays why I said it was like a reserve league those play in front of usually very small crowds, dont make money but they benefit the club in terms of players so they take the hit. You get one or two players and its worth it

Junior hockey clubs can draw huge crowds, and I imagine do make a nice chunk of change for some of the owners. It would take a large marketing effort to make that work though or American football given how entrenched high school and college football are. But perhaps a few Silicon Valley billionaires with a few hundred million to spare that recognize the hypocrisy of the current system might get something like that off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are still farms around today, CFL (duh lol) and arena league. they don't produce many great players from year to year, but arena league is at least fun and about as injury free as you can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are still farms around today, usfl and arena league. they don't produce many great players from year to year, but arena league is at least fun and about as injury free as you can get.

Mining the CFL seems pretty popular too. Not many success stories but there are constantly teams signing CFL players. Looking for the next Wake I guess

The reason Soccer leagues (in Europe) have a reserve league is because they have nothing like the college system in the US. The teams like Man U, Chelsea, Barcelona, Real Madrid sign players as young as 8 years of age through their academies. The best then sign pro contracts at age 16, and unless exceptional play reserve soccer until they either break into first team squad or drop into lower league football.

It's exact same in Football. The best at high school go to college. The best college break to NFL or drop into Arena, Canada etc

I don't see the point trying to keep these guys for the odd player coming good. The majority would have showed it already

If they go to Canada or somewhere eg Cameron wake and earn a shot then great. Again in your original post you compared to soccer, it's like Ricky Lambert. Left Liverpool, played lower league and earned a shot.

It's not worth 32 teams of full squads tho. The college game is the development.

Back
Top Bottom