NFL investigating Patriots for filming Bengals playcalls | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL investigating Patriots for filming Bengals playcalls

That's not the point, is it? What they did to the Bengals could be SOP for the Patriots in prep for ANY opponent. Which clearly could be an unfair advantage, which is why they made the rule, obviously.
It's actually very much the point. If they don't need it, then it probably isn't what you think.

It's actually very much the point. If they don't need it, then it probably isn't what you think.

Like I said . . . standard operating procedure. Whether they need it or not, their people could be doing it by default to everyone. Can you definitively say they aren't?

Like I said . . . standard operating procedure. Whether they need it or not, their people could be doing it by default to everyone. Can you definitively say they aren't?
I wouldn’t put anything past New England. This is Belicheat we’re talking about. He’s proven he’ll push the envelope as for as it can go and will take any edge no matter how small and no matter the opponent. Hell 2007 Miami and Cleveland were both teams New England recorded in Spygate. Those two teams were dreadful back then. How about Kansas City’s equipment being sent to Newark before the game?

Their history doesn't really make it easy to give them the benefit of the doubt though. I was reading an article yesterday that executives are split (pretty much like this thread). Since they were blatantly caught with a literal database of film on opponents it makes it difficult for opposing teams to allow this to be swept under the rug

I personally don't have a problem with recording the opponent as long as it is at an actual game, and not at their private practice facility.
What goes on, on the sidelines is there for EVERYONE to see, so what's the problem.
It's up to individual teams to safeguard their signs and signals so their opponents cant capitalize on them. In other words, constantly change signs from game to game, have two or more coaches sending in signs and signals with only one of them being the "live" signal. Vary doing that, by changing WHO is sending the live signals from drive to drive. It's not that difficult.

Lol. Why is it the Patriots always get caught doing this kind of stuff. Belichek you sly dog.

I don't think they were trying to cheat in this scenario... Every other scenario... Yeah... But not this one.

I do think that Flores does have insight into the lengths they will go for an advantage however. Which will help us in preparing and being vigilant for possible foul play against us in the future.

I am pretty sure the Pats are not the only ones trying things like this. I always imagine the visitor's locker room to be mic'd up no matter what team we are playing.

What makes them look guilty is that they always destroy the evidence. This is crazy but I think New England thrives when it is being doubted or falsely claimed against.

I think they put themselves in these situations to motivate their team and fanbase. To make every year "us against the world."

In a sport where every team is full of pros... The team who has more passion has a definite advantage.

It's easy to scoff and say that the Pats should be able to beat the Bengals without help, which they should, but the Pats are underperforming and getting desperate. They are not dominating as in previous years and have the Ravens, Bills and Chiefs to contend with. A bye or home field advantage could make all the difference to how far they progress; Bellicheck deals in marginal gains and is unlikely to dismiss the possibility of losing or pass up the opportunity for even the smallest advantage.

And secondly the last spying scandal revealed that they had a considerable database of coaches and signals used, so who's to say that this was related to next weeks game? They may not be concerned at all but instead are taking the opportunity, under the guise of scouting their next opponent, to study a new HC that they do not have anything on file of. The more they can get the more accurate their studies will be.

Last edited:
So I want to say first, that I am not saying Flores would do this, conspired to do this, or had any hand in it.
I do want to propose a question:
Upon reading that article, it seems fair to say that New England may have been trying to film Cincinnati in order to steal their signals(that there was an attempt to destroy the recording is damning); It also fits with the history of the Patriots, since they have been punished for filming other teams in the past.
To my question: Flores, having been in the NE organization for quite some time, may have been aware that the Patriots do this. He may have benefitted from knowledge gained from the recording. I am not saying that Miami is going to go this route, but my question is: If Flores is aware of New England's "tricks", what advantage does it give us moving forward? Would he know the Patriots' practices so he could block any filming; would he create "dummy" hand signals to trick them? Is this just too much conspiracy theory going on in my head to make this post worth while?
Anyway- the first thing that popped into my head when I read the article was that a coach in New England's system would certainly have knowledge of all this, and how does it affect Miami now?
In regards to Flores: I am sure he was not in the loop. The book "Spygate" pointed out the "cheating" scheme did not involve that many people/coaches nor did it have to involve that many people.

I.e. the helmet communication cheating only required one upstairs person (Adams), one sideline coach (Bellichick) and one player (Brady).
I.e. Taping required only the video guy and a coach processing accumulated info to relay to the players. Most coaches and players never saw the video.

Contact this guy

The problem I have with this argument (from the writer not you) is why give them the benefit of the doubt? Just because it was the lowly Bengals? What if they just got caught this time?

Spygate covered from 2000-2006. In that period the Pats won the Superbowl 3 times. After Spygate was exposed the Pats suddenly went on a 9-year Super Bowl dry spell. Until 2014. Between 2014 and 2018 they won 3 out of 5 Super Bowls and lost one.
I would even take out the first season when Bellichick started (2000/2001). It was rebuild year and I am sure all that taping was it its infancy. Plus a guy like Bledsoe would have never agreed to that helmet communication crap.
So we start with Brady. A kid drafted in the 6th round, with a chip on his shoulder taking over Bledsoe and a 0-2 start to the season (on a team which went 5-11 the year before). Enter helmet communication and taping and the kid who was just a 4th string QB at the beginning of his NFL career went on for an 11-3 record and a Super Bowl win.
To sum it up:
Spygate starts in the 2000 season.
2001 Brady starts and wins Super Bowl with cheating fine tuned. Pats win Super Bowls in 2003 and 2004. In 2006 Spygate gets exposed.
After winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years in which the trio Bellichick/Brady/Adams operated Spygate for a total of 5 years the drought begins with Spygate exposed.

2007 until 2013 (7 years) the Pats never win the Super Bowl. They make it twice but the Giants bitch slapped them twice.

From 2014 until 2018 (5 years) the Pats win the Super Bowl 3 times and are in the Super Bowl 4 times.

I'd say the taping restarted back in 2014. Why the Bengals? It is a first year coaching staff.

The kicker is this:
When the videographer/cameraman was confronted and interviewed by Bengals/NFL security, he "asked if they could just delete the footage and it all be forgotten," according to ESPN.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...at-bengals-evidence/356b9am414951grsjpujdtknd

Maybe all of our ex coaches have been taped by the Pat's since 07 when they got caught. They got caught taping the worst team but they are their opponent this week and zach Taylor is a new head coach they didn't have film on. NFL games are decided by inches and if they had our signals that could've cost us many games.

There wasn't anything on the video that would not be seen just watching the game on TV. However, it is the Patriots and they have a history of videotaping opponents so this incident is a bit overblown. Miami has actually beaten the Patriots a few times with the record being like 5-7 the past 6 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom