NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed.

Boy that 17th game sucks for the players. Totally unnecessary

i won’t complain about more plsyoff football. But some years you’ll get teams like the titans, some years you’ll get those who don’t belong

Not digging this. 2 more pretender teams in the playoffs, did anyone really want to see the Steelers or Rams play in the playoffs if it were under this format? Don’t wanna consistently see 7-9, 8-8 teams in the playoffs. People think initially it’s good for Miami but In the long run it’ll probably be pretender Miami teams making the playoffs as the 7th team, which will lead the FO into believing the team is successful because of “playoff appearances”

Love the playoff expansion. Don't care for 17 game season. Will live with it. Will every team get to play 9 home games?

Two words that dont compute....Miami & Playoffs. Let's just get there 1st. Right now i couldn't care less about playoff changes. Its like me talking about population genetics, operations research, control theory, cryptology, econometrics, theoretical physics, fluid mechanics, chemical reaction network theory and actuarial science.

It seems to be just a proposal, and I assume, contrary to the tweet, it wouldn't go into effect until the 2021 season.

I know the players look at it as more playoff $ to spread around, but as a fan, there are already enough mediocre teams in the postseason.

Basketball is already like that, where .500 or under teams can garner a playoff birth.

I guess it would be a little different with the NFL. Any given Sunday, but in roundball, in a series, it has become a foregone conclusion, and waste of time.

I’m old enough to remember the days when only 5 teams made it to the playoffs per conference, 2 as wildcards. When they expanded the playoffs to 3 wild cards per conference, I thought Miami would never miss the playoffs. Lol.

I think one needs to go with the other, if you're going to add 2 teams to the playoffs, give the better teams an extra week to separate themselves from the pack...

The addition of an additional playoff team is long overdue. The last time they expanded the number was in 90 or 91 (from 5 per conference to 6 per conference). It put almost half of all NFL teams into the playoffs.

When the league expanded to 32 (from 28) in the early 2000s they changed the playoff format but the number remained the same.
With Oakland entering the league we have increased the teams from 28 to 35 without any change in the numbers of playoff teams.

Maybe I'm not following this but how do 7 teams fit into one playoff bracket. Does one team get two bye weeks? Or do 6 teams play and only one team gets a bye?
Under the proposal, the #1 seed would be the only team to get a bye. Three games on wildcard weekend per conference.

Really gives a big advantage to that #1 seed IMO.

Back
Top Bottom