NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed.

Not a fan of this in the least bit.

Nor do I want 17 games.
I have mixed feelings. Will definitely add excitement down the stretch for a number of teams.

I think it does water it down a little bit and could add some teams that are 8-8 or 7-9. This year it would have added Pittsburgh and the Rams.

Am I the only one that hates this? Feels like the NBA playoffs where ****ty teams get in. I feel like it would be watered down.

Yes, but worse. In the NBA the first round has joke teams but at least they normally always lose to the superior teams in a series. With the NFL you're gonna have joke teams nobody wants to see in the playoffs pulling random fluke upsets and ****ing up potentially awesome matchups later in the playoffs.

I have mixed feelings. Will definitely add excitement down the stretch for a number of teams.

I think it does water it down a little bit and could add some teams that are 8-8 or 7-9. This year it would have added Pittsburgh and the Rams.

And especially in the case of Pitt, who the **** wants to watch whoever the hell their QB was the end of last season in the playoffs?

Brutal.

I’m torn. There are some years where the 5th and 6th seeds barely deserve to be in the playoffs. However the 1 team bur is good imo. That’s such an advantage and usually sets up for the 2 teams on bye to play on the title game. Makes the games more meaningful for the top teams.

Yes, but worse. In the NBA the first round has joke teams but at least they normally always lose to the superior teams in a series. With the NFL you're gonna have joke teams nobody wants to see in the playoffs pulling random fluke upsets and ****ing up potentially awesome matchups later in the playoffs.
Yep. When a team just needs to win a single game to advance to the next round, all it takes is one lucky game by a 7-9 team that lucked into the last wild card to knock out a 12 or 13 win team that finished second in the conference.

The new format doesn’t really favor the 1st seed any more than the current one does, but it greatly devalues the season-long performance of the second seed. A 12 or 13 win team that finished first in its division will now have to survive wild card weekend just to get to the divisional round; the only advantage they’d have over a wild card team with single digit wins Is a home playoff game.

Report: NFL will add playoff team to each conference beginning this season

I know this is more of an NFL thread but I figured this was gigantic news wise enough to post here as we'd all want to know. Starting this season, 7 teams instead of 6 get into the playoffs. Now only the #1 seed gets a bye and #2 seed needs to play in the wild card round. Adds two more playoff games for us to enjoy and should make a huge difference to teams on the cusp.

I don't like it, that would mean nearly half the league makes the playoffs. I don't see how this benefits anything. Just another ploy to get the NFL more prime time tv and ad money.
Hmm. I just love playoff football and I think each year there are so many teams that are only a few plays away from making it. Once you're in the contest, you have a chance to run the tables even though it's unlikely.

I don’t like the one team getting bye in each conference . The top seed already makes it to Super Bowl half the time. This will just make it more. Any playoff system need to have everyone have to win the same amount of games. If you are going to expand the playoffs just make it 8 teams in each conference and each team has to win 4 playoff games. All teams eventually get a bye. Make seeding and home field the only advantage. 1 less game is just too much of advantage for the 2 teams.

I don't like it, that would mean nearly half the league makes the playoffs. I don't see how this benefits anything. Just another ploy to get the NFL more prime time tv and ad money.
It benefits the owners’ wallets and that’s job 1 for the NFL. Job 2 is getting the public to fund their stadiums while they pocket the profits.

The quality of the sport is job 9 or 10, at best.

Hmm. I just love playoff football and I think each year there are so many teams that are only a few plays away from making it. Once you're in the contest, you have a chance to run the tables even though it's unlikely.
None of that changes, whether it's 10,12,14,16,18 teams making the playoffs, there always be team(s) only a few plays away from making the playoffs or a crap team making an unlikely run.

None of that changes, whether it's 10,12,14,16,18 teams making the playoffs, there always be team(s) only a few plays away from making the playoffs or a crap team making an unlikely run.
Right. So...I guess sorry? I like it. Two more playoff games a year and the #2 seed needs to play and not get protected. I'll now try to act like I'm disappointed. BOOO more playoff football. DAMMIT! Lol.

Come on guys! Billionaires have rather immense needs!

20 Estate Homes to support!

Private jets and multiple chauffeurs etc.

Not to mention premium health care!

BNF

Well, there are a good bit of pros and cons; I realize that a 7-9 team could upset a 12-4 two seed, but so what? If the 7-9 beats a 12-4 team, shame on the 12-4 team for choking to a team with a losing record in the playoffs. Honestly, if they are going to expand, knock off this BS with a bye for one team. Add an 8th team and have a 3 week tourney with everyone playing- you're almost there, anyway. It's already watered down, what's one more? This way, everyone plays all 3 weeks, even more money, and no break for a 1 seed who may darn well have gotten the one seed due to fluke tiebreakers.
Otherwise, leave it. 7 teams to me is just frigging annoying. Go 6, or go 8. But I realize this is probably an unpopular opinion, and I LOVE playoff time.

Not digging this. 2 more pretender teams in the playoffs, did anyone really want to see the Steelers or Rams play in the playoffs if it were under this format? Don’t wanna consistently see 7-9, 8-8 teams in the playoffs. People think initially it’s good for Miami but In the long run it’ll probably be pretender Miami teams making the playoffs as the 7th team, which will lead the FO into believing the team is successful because of “playoff appearances”
I don't understand how so many can dislike the opportunity to add in more teams into the playoffs. It's one more team per conference. It's nothing too nutty. We spent many years on the verge of being able to get in and in those years that one more win would have gotten us there and then, anything can happen. I LOVE it.

Back
Top Bottom