NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed.

teams relocating all over the place. games in mexico and london. less preseason and more regular season. expanded playoffs. but absolutely under no circumstances will they re-align the afc with the dolphins in the south. what a dumb idea.

Boy that 17th game sucks for the players. Totally unnecessary

i won’t complain about more plsyoff football. But some years you’ll get teams like the titans, some years you’ll get those who don’t belong

My concern with 17 games is, I suspect more than 53 on a roster. There are already non-NFL-quality players in the league and this could add more.

OTOH, I get the concern about a 'lower' team beating a top team, but that happens under the current system. How many people think the next contract will expand the playoffs to 18?

Just curious. Do you like Xmas gifts? Trying to find some joy here from you lol.

I love Xmas.

I also love math, fairness and continuity.

16 games is a staple of the sport, 17 makes things complicated with comparing historical figures.

And I am a big fan of 17 (RT) but not in this instance.

Also, giving 1 team such a big advantage over the other 6 playoff teams doesn't seem fair.

I'd rather see 8 teams with no bye or 6 teams with 2 byes. This format is literally odd.

I love Xmas.

I also love math, fairness and continuity.

16 games is a staple of the sport, 17 makes things complicated with comparing historical figures.

And I am a big fan of 17 (RT) but not in this instance.

Also, giving 1 team such a big advantage over the other 6 playoff teams doesn't seem fair.

I'd rather see 8 teams with no bye or 6 teams with 2 byes. This format is literally odd.
I get it but 16 games as we know wasn't always a staple of the sport. Imagine how up and arms people were when it jumped to that. It think it'll be great. Of course the players union is going to whine that's all unions do.

When the league expanded to 32 (from 28) in the early 2000s they changed the playoff format but the number remained the same.
With Oakland entering the league we have increased the teams from 28 to 35 without any change in the numbers of playoff teams.

Great point! So this is basically right sizing it to what we knew from the Marino era.

Great point! So this is basically right sizing it to what we knew from the Marino era.
Close.
During the first part of the Marino years we had only 3 divisions (5 teams) per conference and the division winners and two wildcards made the playoff. All division winners had a bye week while the two wildcard teams battled it out. In the second half of his career they simply added a wild card team to the playoffs. Of the three division winners 2 received a bye and the lowest division winner had to play in a wildcard weekend with the 3 wildcards.

In early 2000s the divisions were realigned and we had now 4 divisions (top two bye week, bottom two wildcard weekend). While it was the same number of playoff teams it was one less wildcard team.

I think the latter half of Marino's career was the easiest way to make the playoffs. In most years 3 teams out of a division of 5 made the playoffs and a few years even 4 out of 5 teams in a division made the playoffs. I believe one year it was the AFC East.

The additional wild card will make it easier to make the playoffs than the past 18 years but not as easy as the 2nd half of Marino's career since the league expanded by 5 teams since Marino retired.

I don't like it, that would mean nearly half the league makes the playoffs. I don't see how this benefits anything. Just another ploy to get the NFL more prime time tv and ad money.
I am sure you didn't mind the 90s when 12 out of 28 (43%) teams made the playoffs. We benefitted from that many times. The last major realignment happened in the early 2000s with Houston joining the league. Since then 12 out of 32 (37%) teams made the playoffs. With the playoff expansion 14 out of 32 (43%) will make the playoffs. So we are basically going back (percentagewise) to the 90s.

I also like the expansion to 17 games. One preseason game will be eliminated. I actually would like to see 18 games with only 2 preseason games. It makes preseason gaemes more meaningful.
Over the years everybody has cashed in on the NFL. The players, the coaches, NFL, advertisers, sports networks - everybody - except the fan who has to pay more and more for less football.
On an average an NFL player is only 11 minutes/game actually in motion. 11 minutes in a 60-minute game. The rest is spend on the sidelines, in the huddle etc. If you consider all the TV time outs, halftime etc then an NFL player spends 11 minutes working in a 3 hour timeframe. I like to call that a casual Sunday afternoon.

I am sure you didn't mind the 90s when 12 out of 28 (43%) teams made the playoffs. We benefitted from that many times. The last major realignment happened in the early 2000s with Houston joining the league. Since then 12 out of 32 (37%) teams made the playoffs. With the playoff expansion 14 out of 32 (43%) will make the playoffs. So we are basically going back (percentagewise) to the 90s.
I'm not looking for free handouts from the NFL. I would rather see the best teams get in rather than honorable mentions rounds. I would prefer 10 teams instead of the 12 now.

I also like the expansion to 17 games. One preseason game will be eliminated. I actually would like to see 18 games with only 2 preseason games. It makes preseason gaemes more meaningful.
Over the years everybody has cashed in on the NFL. The players, the coaches, NFL, advertisers, sports networks - everybody - except the fan who has to pay more and more for less football.
On an average an NFL player is only 11 minutes/game actually in motion. 11 minutes in a 60-minute game. The rest is spend on the sidelines, in the huddle etc. If you consider all the TV time outs, halftime etc then an NFL player spends 11 minutes working in a 3 hour timeframe. I like to call that a casual Sunday afternoon.

I'd rather see 18 games than 17, with 2 bye's.

I can't believe 17 is actually an option.

And while I am not a fan of expanding the playoff field to another odd number, 7, I'd much rather expand to 8 with no byes. A bye is a huge advantage, and while it may be well earned, in some cases it's going to come down to a tie breaker.

It's too big of advantage to give to just one team.

Where as with 8 teams in the playoffs, the 1 and 2 seeds are essentially getting a bye anyway with a weak opponent.

I don't mind seeing a 7-9 team in the post season. Will make for a great story line if/when they knock off a 14-2 team.

Clearly this is all about money, I get it, but 16 games and 6 playoff teams with 2 team byes is PERFECT.

Go ahead and change it if you want, but this guy is not on board.

They've already bastardized the rules to the point where passing yards are no longer a relevant stat anyway.

I don't remember there being a lot of negative noise when they expanded the schedule to make the season 16 games, though I was youngish and there was no internet where everyone could post like now. But I agree with Mr. Ghost-17 games just seems too odd, and 7 teams in the playoffs with one team having a bye gives a weird advantage to one team. I wonder if this is sort of the "stepping stone" for a more even 18 games, 8 team playoffs, and they just have to inch their way towards it.

Back
Top Bottom