Nfl Qb Position: Absolute Or Relative? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl Qb Position: Absolute Or Relative?

Average weight is 226, and median is 226
Average height is 6-3.5, median is 6-2.5.

So I really have to know, in your opinion do you think if all those QB's you listed to be 6'3 or taller were somehow shrunken down to 6'1 and all those QB's you listed to be 6'2 or shorter were somehow blown up to 6'4 that it would change anything? Like would McNabb, Plummer, and Delhomme etc go to more championship games if they were 6'4? Would Manning, Brady, Big Ben etc go to less championship games if they were 6'1?

I've been saying, man- yall been sleeping on Largo. I always give him credit for passion even if misguided and he makes good points every now and a good ways away then.

I don't know how QB size came to be an overwhelming statistic. Height/weight doesn't take into account any of the situations those QBs were playing in.

You know that and I know that and ALMOST everyone on finhaven knows that.

I don't know how QB size came to be an overwhelming statistic. Height/weight doesn't take into account any of the situations those QBs were playing in.

Now you know how. They win championships.
Why are we discussing it? Because the Dolphins want to TANK for a 6-0 218 QB!
You do not tank for that! If you are tanking then you are tanking for everything.
Gotta be consistent, efficient, and have a big arm, and have a quick gun, and high attempts, carry the team, and be prototypical. So this discussion centers on just the last part, prototypical, 6-4, 230.
Otherwise, why not tank for Easton Stick?
It comes to high standards, or fkn around.

Last edited:
Why are we discussing it? Because the Dolphins want to SUCK for a 6-0 218 QB!
You do not suck for that! If you are tanking then you are tanking for everything.
Gotta be consistent, efficient, and have a big arm, and have a quick gun, and be prototypical. So this discussion centers on just the last part, prototypical, 6-4, 230.

My point was protypical doesn't quite tell the whole story just as many other stats don't. There's too many factors in this sport to say this size equals success, this measurement equals championships, so on and so forth.

Still, as it stands, the numbers are on your side. Good stuff, Largo.

You do not tank for that! If you are tanking then you are tanking for everything.
Gotta be consistent, efficient, and have a big arm, and have a quick gun, and high attempts, carry the team, and be prototypical. So this discussion centers on just the last part, prototypical, 6-4, 230.

I've heard a lot of "different" opinions throughout my time here but I have never heard prototypical height and weight wins championships. It's true what they say you do learn something new everyday.

So not going to answer this question? Good idea, don't want to make it too obvious.

So I really have to know, in your opinion do you think if all those QB's you listed to be 6'3 or taller were somehow shrunken down to 6'1 and all those QB's you listed to be 6'2 or shorter were somehow blown up to 6'4 that it would change anything? Like would McNabb, Plummer, and Delhomme etc go to more championship games if they were 6'4? Would Manning, Brady, Big Ben etc go to less championship games if they were 6'1?

So not going to answer this question? Good idea, don't want to make it too obvious.

Now that would be an interesting study, somehow getting taller players to pass at lower measurements and vice versa.

And which heights have a greater consistency of contending compared to winning championships. I believe the Brees we saw last year was the best Brees we've seen yet. The guy keeps getting better with age. Where does height/weight come into play there?

There's obviously something about size seeing as much taller QBs don't seem to fair well. There's something to it but nowhere near as simple as he makes it out to be.

Too bad Trent Dilfer at 6'4" and 247 couldn't have stuck around longer than double digit years in the NFL.... He could have really helped turn some franchises around like he did with the Ravens....

I mean, 1 of the 5 teams he tried to help with his prototype size actually used him correctly and they won the SuperBowl….

I have an idea... why don't we scout for an actual FOOTBALL PLAYER at the position... I don't know... maybe see what the guy gives week in and out to the game... I know it's going to be tough for some of you stats guys... and don't get me wrong... Height Weight speed etc are all great places tp start..... but

IS he a proven winner at the position when facing decent competition? …. Has he steadily improved his GAME (not necessarily technique) … DOES he consistently do what it takes to make a play when things break down?

Let's look at the player first and then see if his measurables really matter because let's face it …. if the guy has proven he can (and does) move the chains and put points on the board..... I say take a shot because the draft is a gamble anyway for the most part.... But I would never mortgage the future of my team for a "hope" … I would indeed take the player that would make plays for my team and build my team but I wouldn't sell my soul for a "mini-me" or a prototype...

Hell we have mortgaged the farm for PROVEN vets that really didn't take us to the promised land.... why do the same with an unproven hopeful? Yes, at some point you HAVE to find the guy and you may HAVE to pull the trigger via trade
but in the end it is still a TEAM sport.

Just sayin'

Pretty sure Thill fit the "prototype" for size etc.

The answer to this question comes from that great American Philosopher, Yogi Berra.

He said "I'd rather be lucky then good any day". He also said this enduring phrase, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" I interpret this to mean don't fall into an analysis paralysis; take a chance when it comes your way and run with it. You may just get lucky.

And all these years I thought he was talking about base ball.

That's right. that's why you loved Tannehill more than John Beck, more than Cleo Lemon, more than Pat White.

You must have me confused with someone else...

I never "loved" Thill.

Back
Top Bottom