No tag for Boston | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No tag for Boston

Let's bring it back to Thomas...

I don't agree with the "bad PR" theory...

maybe it would actually show the team that Dave and Rick have some guts to try and step up to the plate.

After last year's effort, I think Miami should be less concerned with loyalty and more concerned with doing what's best for the team.

People want to bitch and moan about no loyalty to Gadsen...
give me a break...he did what he felt was best for him...and the Dolphins did what they thought was best for them...

Do you think Jon Gruden would give a sh-- about Zach's feelings or Jason's feelings?

Although I would love for Boston to become a fin, lets keep in mind he's been caught with cocaine before and I believe he was even suspended, would this become a distraction, even moreso living in Miami.....I hope he does become a fin but he should be kept on check if we pay a high price.

Listen Zach Thomas plays his heart out every year VISIBLY and he's always one of the best in the league going to pro bowls and whatnot and the dolphins are supposed to have this big history of taking care of their own players and whatnot, so if we just cut Zach and let him go off to another team you got ALL kinds of guys like Tim Bowens, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison, Surtain, and Marion who have all been with Zach for a long time and see him play his heart out and they would really step to bat for this guy.

It would be a TERRIBLE move for locker room morale. Heck some players even stepped up to the plate to talk about the Daryl Gardener thing and he was NOT well-liked. Zach is. He's the leader of the defense. You don't just cut the leader of your D because you're at an impasse over the STRUCTURE of the contract, not even the amounts just the structure

At worst we can still get Gandy. Then we go get Newson, Robinson, and Willie Jackson. We keep Rodgers for cheap and get a playmaker to complement him and eventually take the job. If it gets even worse we don't re-sign Konrad. That is not the end of the world. Ayanbadejo has good hands and solid blocking, while Dyer has good hands(never used) and dominant blocking.

If I had a prescription it would be thus. We have too much money tied up in the defense. Period. We need upgrades at OLB but we need them CHEAP. We need upgrades at safety but we need them cheap and fortunately in general, safeties are cheaper than others so we could afford to go long on the safety I think because you get more bang for your buck (ie less buck, more bang). So a guy like Knight would not necessarily be out of the question.

But anyway since the defensive upgrades need to come cheap that means the draft. So in round 2 we draft an outside linebacker, probably a DE convert. Rodgers is given a paycut or outright released. Tim Ruddy is released but Todd Perry stays. We get a big name at WR like Curtis Conway and we draft a guy in the third round who can play slot (3rd round guys are good at slot, they are usually guys who have dipped because of physical shortcomings like size). I would honestly prefer to draft a WR in round 2 or not at all however the third round will do for the slot position.

We get Wayne Gandy. Need a LT end of story. Sign back Mark Dixon for cheap. Sign Richmond Webb to back up. Greg Jerman can back up the RT position (or Cesario if he's still around). Thats pretty much the end of the offensive line except that Troy Andrew prolly makes the team (backup C and G)

If Conway is signed McKnight either needs to be cut or severely restructured or given a paycut. If he doesn't play ball release him and grab Oronde Gadsden late in free agency when he's cheap. Koy Detmer should be signed and this guy needs to be told to BULK UP bigtime...quarterbacks can afford to bulk up this isn't a guy that makes a living off speed like Kordell Stewart. He might be lured down here just by letting him know the situation with Fiedler and Fiedler's spike in cap level beginning next year.

A veteran needs to be signed at safety, preferably cheap.

The lynch pin of my idea here is Curtis Conway. If we can't get him then eveyrthing changes. We should switch from drafting an OLB in round 2 and a WR in round 3, to drafting a WR in round 2 and a QB in round 3. The QB holds a clipboard while Sage Rosenfels backs up (or Lucas if he stays). If no Curtis Conway then James McKnight should be retained, and we sign a cheaper guy to help us at WR like Marcus Robinson or Martay Jenkins.

Basically the whole situation for the dolphins breaks down to this. We NEED a LT and have no choice but to get Gandy really. But aside from that, we have OLB and WR that present semi-equal needs for us to upgrade. One should be taken care of through the draft and one should be taken care of in free agency. We cannot afford to address LT, OLB, and WR through free agency alone. We just don't have that signing power and we still have QB, S, and NCB to consider. My preference is to solve the OLB problem cheaply, while spending the money at WR

I still think that Marcus Robinson can do the job at #2 WR. If not then we fall back on Willie Jackson or maybe a draft pick such as Doug Gabriel. How much have I said that name already? Conway is a surer bet, but will still have a good price to demand. That is higher than Robinson I mean.

What you said on the O-Line is correct, but I see Jarvis Borum easily beating Jerman out for backup RT. Physically he is a copy of Todd Wade in size and height.

Back
Top Bottom