No tag for Boston | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No tag for Boston

Originally posted by dolphinators13
What happens if Boston pulls a James and comes back from his injury as garbage? I would rather have us get Spikes and Hilliard than Boston and some other linebacker.

Very true. Thats why teams work out players before they sign them. I'm sure Wanny-Spiel wouldn't sign the guy if he was too much of a risk. Of course this is a risk no matter what, but aren't all signings? I just think this team needs a WR like Boston more than they need a LB like Spikes......

In regards to SMadison's response, I agree that may be a problem. Again, I think that is something Wanny-Spiel can feel out if they bring him in for an interview. This guy is way too good to just sit back and watch another team sign......

I agree Boston is good but lets consider his ONE good season. He has been in the league as long as Ricky. Spikes constantly puts up great seasons. I am not bashing Boston, but considering the facts he would be a major risk.

One good season? You got numbers to show that? I'd look them up, but I don't have the patience. If he has only had one good season, wouldn't you hear about it much like with Price? Also, if he only had one good season, I don't think he would be as hot of a commodity as he is. Willie Jackson has had one good season, and the guy is praying that we sign him for the vet. minimum. On a side note, have you seen the guys arms? The guy is a beast......

Originally posted by Bazinet37
One good season? You got numbers to show that? I'd look them up, but I don't have the patience. If he has only had one good season, wouldn't you hear about it much like with Price? Also, if he only had one good season, I don't think he would be as hot of a commodity as he is. Willie Jackson has had one good season, and the guy is praying that we sign him for the vet. minimum. On a side note, have you seen the guys arms? The guy is a beast......

http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/133230 My fault two good seasons

http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/1676 Robinson’s numbers not as good. When healthy good soild numbers, we can get him really cheap.

Sorry Den54, i was sopping up my own urine from my pee-soaked floor that came about as a result of hearing this news.

The bottom line is a player like Boston just doesn't hit free agency free and clear every year. The guy led the league in yardage for WRs last season. In fact, I may be mistaken, but I believe he had more yardage than ANYONE last year, bar none. He had over 1600 yards and no runningback gained that much last year. This, while being on the biggest joke team of the NFL (yeah thats right, historically worst than the Bungles) and people wonder why he hasn't looked very consistent at times this year? People also wonder why the Cards haven't franchised him...gee I wonder...but if you wonder that why don't you open pandora's box and just start questioning ALL of the Cardinals' moves since their freaking inception as an NFL team!!!

Its just another in a LOOOOONNNG line of screwups and unexplainable maneuvers that the Cardinals have been performing for DECADES.

When nearly 3/4 of our cap money is tied up in the defense, you gotta wonder why people are wanting to make an "Olin Kreutz" play for another DEFENSIVE player. Heck I thought our D was pretty darn good last year, and the only weakness I saw was at safety and scheme. Our OLBs were adequate. But our receivers couldn't get open and our offensive line wasn't giving a long enough average count to the QB to get rid of the ball and our QB was not getting the ball out to the WRs.

Also keep this in mind, if you want to know how much Boston will cost think about the franchise tag cost of WRs....$5.1 million. The franchise tag cost of linebackers I believe is somethig like $5.6 million.

Which player is going to receive the bigger contract you think? Spikes? Or Boston.

With that in mind, there are pointed reasons not to make a big play at Boston. One, we need a LT because we don't have one on the ROSTER. Two, we need a LT because we don't have one on the FREAKING ROSTER! Also, football offensive schemes call for two different type of WRs...one has to take primary importance and Chambers might be best used like that and Boston might be best used like that too so two #1 WRs on the same offense don't necessarily mean two #1 WR production in a non-Martz offense. But thats very theoretical and speculative. Think on this though. Get Boston, and you don't need to get Konrad back. If we got Boston more passes would have to be going to the WRs and far less to the FB.

Here is what I see. His rookie year, he has the stats of a rookie. Look at his second year. 1100 yards on only 71 receptions? Thats amazing. His third season, he hits 1500 yards on 98 catches. Also damn good. Both seasons, he has averaged over 18 yards a reception. Last season, his 4th, he was injured and only played in 8 games. Not counting his rookie year, he has had VERY productive seasons when he has finished them. In all, having 2 1,000 yard seasons out of 4 years playing, I'm impressed. If he shows he is healthy, I'd definately want him in a Phins uniform......

I was wondering when you were going to respond CK. Its nice having someone that agrees with me......

IMO, I would drop the $$$ towards a Spikes move. The offense has proven it can score points in the twenties consistantly and even control the ball (when we pound Ricky). Even though there were six pro bowlers and our D was ranked 3rd, we lacked that killer instinct and allowed teams to make big plays against us at the worst possible times. I think our defense could win a superbowl by itself with one player added the caliber of Spikes. Don't get me wrong, I love what Boston could bring to the team, I just feel that as good as the defense is, we still lack the "go for the throat" mentality.

You think Spikes is going to give that mentality better than a receiver who averages over 18 yards a reception? This offense is merely average right now. Our defense is top 5. Boston would make our offense top 10 atleast. Top 10 offense + top 5 defense = lots of victories......

Its hard to say what we should do.

I mean, we NEED a left tackle there really is no way around it. I think that any contract offer to Spikes would have to be on the par with a contract signed by David Boston. So given that they would cost the same, would you rather have a perennial pro bowl caliber WR that will be turning 25 during the next season, or a perennial pro bowl caliber LB that will be turning 27 during the next season?

To me its quite clear that the OBVIOUS choice is to pay David Boston given the fact that we've already got like a jillion dollars sunk into the defense and we're about to be sinking even MORE money into it (Zach Thomas' extension). If we got Boston you could forget re-signing Konrad because Dyer and Femi would be workable considering the number of passes that will be going into the WR corp now rather than the RB corp. We could wipe the WR position off the freaking board for draft day (unless its a returner). That means we could use our picks exclusively for help at LB, S, CB, and OL. And I don't think David Boston would be the only free agent we could get, anymore than Takeo Spikes would be the only free agent.

BUT, I still say the LT situation takes precedence. The rankings to me are clear at

1. Left Tackle
2. David Boston
3. Takeo Spikes

You think Spikes is going to give that mentality better than a receiver who averages over 18 yards a reception? This offense is merely average right now. Our defense is top 5. Boston would make our offense top 10 atleast. Top 10 offense + top 5 defense = lots of victories......

I'd love to go Spikes/Gandy and then Conway at WR then draft a WR and QB with our 2nd/3rd picks. No way our cap allows this but I like to dream :)

i would rather have boston spikes would be great but we need to improve our offense to take the pressure off our defense our recieving corp is average and a guy like boston would make us imo unstopable...we wouldnt have to pound ricky so much and the less we use ricky the more years he'll last and when they put 8 in the box we would be able to throw the ball...david boston is like T.O he is a big fast physical reciever and he could be our go to guy since chris hasnt proven himself yet

Last edited by a moderator:

On defense......yes I do. My reasoning is this, we had a lot of leads well into the late quarters that were blown by the defense last year that could have easily been W's. Like I said, it's only an opinion and that's just how I see it. ;)

Yes but seeing as how those leads were given up largely by our pass defene, how again does Takeo Spike put the plug in the dike?

Getting Spikes or Boston would make me cream my jeans. They are both equal in impact for our team. We could vastly upgrade the O or make the D good to dominanting. It would be bliss to get either of them. Not worth the fuss on our part as we probably wont land either of them.

Back
Top Bottom