Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window

Nobody knows how Indianapolis is going to look with a new QB. Buffalo could have lost any of their playoff games. I think it’s the Chief’s conference then everybody else. And I would put us up against anyone else in the conference with our roster. That said, it’s going to come down to coaching and execution.

We all know who the legit coaches are. You can’t count out the Patriots, Steelers and Ravens. But when I think about winning 10 games fielding 2-3 WRs most weeks, only having 1-2 healthy RB most games, losing our second best Cb for a spell, and losing guys across our OL throughout the season. I have to believe that our coaching staff does an outstanding job preparing our guys to win. If that translates over to the talent that we brought in, we are competing for a playoff spot. And we should be in the conversation for a division title. Maybe even the 2 seed.
2 seed is pretty optimistic, but I agree with the general premise.

I don't think we did enough with our pass rush.

Yes, we drafted Phillips, and that should help if he remains concussion free, but that's ALL we did, and if we made a mistake in this offseason, I think that was it.

Allen KILLED us last year because we couldn't get close to him. He had all day to find receivers-- and we have some GREAT CBs. You can't win with a great secondary alone when you are playing a top 10 QB, and the better teams all have top 10 QBs.

In today's game, you don't need one great pass-rusher... you need three.
Ogbah?
AVG?

2 seed is pretty optimistic, but I agree with the general premise.
I feel the same way. But did anyone suspect the Bills would be a 2 seed? If we can stay healthy, our defense continues to create turnovers, then it isn’t that hard to win games with a ball control, efficient offense. Most likely we compete for the division and a playoff spot. Hopefully we’re in this year. At that point anything can happen.

Ogbah?
AVG?
Ogbah is a decent 2nd weapon, but he'd never gone over 5.5 sacks in a year before, so I think we may have seen his best... plus, he may leave after this season. If we do keep him, he'll be pretty expensive. OTC has an estimated value on him of 13M/Year, and he's already 28.

AVG is OK, I guess... but I see him as more of an edge-setter than a real pass-rush weapon. 2 of his 5.5 sacks came vs. Oakland which had a pretty poor line. I hope to be wrong on this one, but I see AVG as a better weapon on 1st and 2nd down than on pass rushing downs.

At this point, I think we have our fingers crossed on both of these guys.

Yes, we drafted Phillips, and that should help if he remains concussion free, but that's ALL we did, and if we made a mistake in this offseason, I think that was it.

Allen KILLED us last year because we couldn't get close to him. He had all day to find receivers-- and we have some GREAT CBs. You can't win with a great secondary alone when you are playing a top 10 QB, and the better teams all have top 10 QBs.

What team has that? No team really has that. Miami is mostly a scheme driven pressure team like New England was for most of their dynasty. Who were their great pass rushers? Miami will be great in the secondary and they will apply pressure with Van Ginkel, McKinney, Phillips, Ogbah, and Biegel running different games and blitzes.

One thing I do know is the adition of Fuller and Waddle to this roster, regardless of their production, will change the way opposing Ds will play the Fins. Its really a matter of how the OCs and Tua will be able to exploit the extra space. There's no doubt in my mind Tua will take the next step in this new setting, he'll get his numbers no matter what, how that translate to points scored will depend on the coaches.

Gailey said he was shooting for a dink and dunk 10 plays drives as his prefered outcome and I really hope that was his thing, not Flores. Given the additions, Im confident they get it.

On paper, 30 points a game is doable, and once you do that you're basically a lock for 10+ wins. Im also anxious to see this D playing most of their snaps with a lead, should be fun.

One thing I do know is the adition of Fuller and Waddle to this roster, regardless of their production, will change the way opposing Ds will play the Fins. Its really a matter of how the OCs and Tua will be able to exploit the extra space. There's no doubt in my mind Tua will take the next step in this new setting, he'll get his numbers no matter what, how that translate to points scored will depend on the coaches.

Gailey said he was shooting for a dink and dunk 10 plays drives as his prefered outcome and I really hope that was his thing, not Flores. Given the additions, Im confident they get it.

On paper, 30 points a game is doable, and once you do that you're basically a lock for 10+ wins. Im also anxious to see this D playing most of their snaps with a lead, should be fun.
Hope your right.

The NFL is so volatile it’s really difficult to forecast anything accurately. Teams often go from worst to first and, conversely, teams expected to contend for years to come can suffer set backs.

Take SF as an example of the latter.

First off, they were under .500 for 4 consecutive seasons until striking lightning and making a SB run in 2019. Then 2020 found them under .500 again. Which meant they were under .500 in 5 of the past 6 seasons.

I fully realize injuries greatly affected their 2020 season. As they also did in 2018.

But that’s kinda the point. $#!t happens. It’s hard to be lucky and healthy every season.
And in SF’s case, all the teams within their own division have improved to a point where even if healthy, they might well be the 3rd best team.

Buffalo enjoyed a renaissance season of sorts. Where most things went right. Now everyone expects them to be the same team they were last season. Maybe they will be. Maybe they’ll be even better. But they could easily regress as well. Or see MIA and others improve more than they do.

Nobody knows what’s going to happen.

If we have made up enough ground depends entirely on how many players take the next step next year. To take the next step we need some players to become elite, you can't win with a roster of just above average players.

Good point. I always tried to double down at edge in mock draft simulation games.

Then again, trading down and getting more picks was pretty easy.

That's probably where Miami adds in the coming years.

What? What about Ogbah along with Phillips plus AVG blitzing !! Wilkins going into his 3rd yr should be a good year for him. Sieler will be really good to! I think our Pass rush will be just fine.

Nobody knows how Indianapolis is going to look with a new QB. Buffalo could have lost any of their playoff games. I think it’s the Chief’s conference then everybody else. And I would put us up against anyone else in the conference with our roster. That said, it’s going to come down to coaching and execution.

We all know who the legit coaches are. You can’t count out the Patriots, Steelers and Ravens. But when I think about winning 10 games fielding 2-3 WRs most weeks, only having 1-2 healthy RB most games, losing our second best Cb for a spell, and losing guys across our OL throughout the season. I have to believe that our coaching staff does an outstanding job preparing our guys to win. If that translates over to the talent that we brought in, we are competing for a playoff spot. And we should be in the conversation for a division title. Maybe even the 2 seed.
This makes sense to me. Miami's is such a young team tho, who has just lost almost the only leadership figures it had in Fitz, KVN, Flowers and Bobby.

To make the playoffs and to win knockout games requires some smart on-field decision-making at key times. Our group might be a little callow still to be that cool-headed under pressure.

Back
Top Bottom