Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window

I don't think we did enough with our pass rush.

Yes, we drafted Phillips, and that should help if he remains concussion free, but that's ALL we did, and if we made a mistake in this offseason, I think that was it.

Allen KILLED us last year because we couldn't get close to him. He had all day to find receivers-- and we have some GREAT CBs. You can't win with a great secondary alone when you are playing a top 10 QB, and the better teams all have top 10 QBs.

In today's game, you don't need one great pass-rusher... you need three.
Hopefuly we can pick up 1 more decent Edge pass rush player prior to the season. remaining FA and camp cuts.

“Blah blah football is a team game...”

yeah - all the “good” teams have stayed good or got better, Miami included.

So the big X factor at play here is: Are we going to be notably improved at the most important position? With this in mind... We go as far as Tua goes. Period.

All on Tua, and seeing how the FO operates, they are going to be pulling the plug a lot sooner than Tua supporters want.
Yes, all Dolphins fans are or should be rooting for Tua to succeed. However there are those with agendas who would rather see the kid fail no matter what.

If Tua stays healthy yes if not it will be a long season.

I don't think we did enough with our pass rush.

Yes, we drafted Phillips, and that should help if he remains concussion free, but that's ALL we did, and if we made a mistake in this offseason, I think that was it.

Allen KILLED us last year because we couldn't get close to him. He had all day to find receivers-- and we have some GREAT CBs. You can't win with a great secondary alone when you are playing a top 10 QB, and the better teams all have top 10 QBs.

In today's game, you don't need one great pass-rusher... you need three.
Ogbah is a good pass rusher. I think AVG is good. If Phillips lives up to his hype, our pass rush shouldn't be horrible.

It should be formidable.

Ogbah is a good pass rusher. I think AVG is good. If Phillips lives up to his hype, our pass rush shouldn't be horrible.

It should be formidable.
It'll be better, but I don't think it'll be formidable... not yet. Even if I agreed with your characterization of AVG (and I don't), you've described a rookie that you hope will live up to his hype and 2 'good' pass rushers. This doesn't equal elite.

Nor am I suggesting that it will be horrible... it wasn't horrible last year before we drafted Phillips, and I think it is slightly better now.

What I'm suggesting is that it won't be elite... not with what we have. It'll be good enough until we face the top teams, then it'll be ok, and if that sounds like faint praise, It is. If teams like Buffalo beat us, I am suggesting that it will be because we STILL are giving Allen too much time to find an open man. He absolutely chewed us up and spit us out last year... and this was with the top CB in the NFL, and a very good partner in Jones, not to mention Rowe, who everyone swears covers TEs like paint.

As good as our coverage is/was, our defense didn't work vs. Allen because we couldn't get close to him, and receivers eventually broke open.

I'd love to be wrong... but for us to have enough pass rush... all three of the players that you mentioned will have to succeed beyond my expectations AND all three will have to remain healthy ALL year... because we have no depth.

I think we have a better roster now but how good we'll be depends on more than just the draft picks. We need at least 4 or 5 of last year's rookies to take a big step forward. Mostly Tua and the 3 O-line guys.
For sure, all the young players developing is the key and ultimately tells the story of whether they have succeeded or failed as management.

Tua being the most important one.

I think I was most surprised at the faith they showed in Skura and apparently Dieter....after trying so hard to acquire Andrews! Being that they could have drafted a young center on day 2!

For sure, all the young players developing is the key and ultimately tells the story of whether they have succeeded or failed as management.

Tua being the most important one.

I think I was most surprised at the faith they showed in Skura and apparently Dieter....after trying so hard to acquire Andrews! Being that they could have drafted a young center on day 2!
yeah I was a bit surprise they didn't draft a center. I'm going with that's how the board fell for them and they were going to stick to it. Tme will tell if that was the right decision or not.

No doubt we improved, but I am not sure we did enough to dominate the AFC East this year. We have a young team, and they will need time to learn, gel, and build that winning culture. I see us building momentum more towards next year (2022+), where ~60 million in cap space will let us add key free agents to our core. As some have said, we probably can't stop Buffalo, so we will have to outscore them. Hopefully, Tua will take the next step, and our offense will be a force to be reckoned with. I am excited and can't wait to watch our team. This year is going to be fun as we battle for king of the hill.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2022/© Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports/© Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports/

It'll be better, but I don't think it'll be formidable... not yet. Even if I agreed with your characterization of AVG (and I don't), you've described a rookie that you hope will live up to his hype and 2 'good' pass rushers. This doesn't equal elite.

Nor am I suggesting that it will be horrible... it wasn't horrible last year before we drafted Phillips, and I think it is slightly better now.

What I'm suggesting is that it won't be elite... not with what we have. It'll be good enough until we face the top teams, then it'll be ok, and if that sounds like faint praise, It is. If teams like Buffalo beat us, I am suggesting that it will be because we STILL are giving Allen too much time to find an open man. He absolutely chewed us up and spit us out last year... and this was with the top CB in the NFL, and a very good partner in Jones, not to mention Rowe, who everyone swears covers TEs like paint.

As good as our coverage is/was, our defense didn't work vs. Allen because we couldn't get close to him, and receivers eventually broke open.

I'd love to be wrong... but for us to have enough pass rush... all three of the players that you mentioned will have to succeed beyond my expectations AND all three will have to remain healthy ALL year... because we have no depth.
First of all,, I don't agree with the premise, "it's not formidable". It was top ten last year with 42. That's 2.6 a game...the Bucs won the SB with with 3 a game. That's interesting.

Additionally, you concede it'll be "improved", but still not willing to call it formidable. I'm inclined to think this comes from perception and narrative as opposed to facts.

Not sure what you were expecting from AVG..5.5 sacks, 3 FF, PFF grade of 79...played only half team snaps.

But also, using your logic, there is nothing we could have done in the draft to change this opinion, because none of them have played and we are just hoping ALL of them live up to the hype. We don't know how the depth will shake out.

Another thing to consider is scheme. Pressure is often applied by disguised coverages and rushers. Another year, presumably more familiarity, "hopefully" will yield better play.

Narratives are powerful drivers, I get that..but juxtaposing them against facts, imo, is the better way to analyze the team.

If we are improved in any position, imo, is not a reason to wring hands.

“Blah blah football is a team game...”

yeah - all the “good” teams have stayed good or got better, Miami included.

So the big X factor at play here is: Are we going to be notably improved at the most important position? With this in mind... We go as far as Tua goes. Period.

Just a guess, but you'll likely get some responses on the apparent either/or stuff. I can read that post as, 'it doesn't matter how good the 'team' is if TT doesn't play to top level.' You know, like Trent Dilfer.
I'm NOT saying TT doesn't have to play well and I expect great improvement. But he can't drag a below average 'team' along with him. Even Rodgers and Brady couldn't.

Back
Top Bottom