Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Now that the Draft is in the Rearview Window

I don't think we did enough with our pass rush.

Yes, we drafted Phillips, and that should help if he remains concussion free, but that's ALL we did, and if we made a mistake in this offseason, I think that was it.

Allen KILLED us last year because we couldn't get close to him. He had all day to find receivers-- and we have some GREAT CBs. You can't win with a great secondary alone when you are playing a top 10 QB, and the better teams all have top 10 QBs.

In today's game, you don't need one great pass-rusher... you need three.
Don't you realize Raekwon is going to take the next step and give us eleventysix sacks from inside?

This makes sense to me. Miami's is such a young team tho, who has just lost almost the only leadership figures it had in Fitz, KVN, Flowers and Bobby.

To make the playoffs and to win knockout games requires some smart on-field decision-making at key times. Our group might be a little callow still to be that cool-headed under pressure.
Losing that veteran leadership is something I didn't think too much about, but that's a great point.

All up to the qb and offense.

The new pieces are still young, and outside Fuller, won't be starting day 1.

Defense got significantly better but even with that if the offense doesn't step up it will not make a difference.
Technically, Fuller won't be starting day one either. He is still suspended.

Losing that veteran leadership is something I didn't think too much about, but that's a great point.
There are still some guys that I would say have paid their dues.

X and Jones for sure. At this point, I would put DVP and Bake in that category too.

This makes sense to me. Miami's is such a young team tho, who has just lost almost the only leadership figures it had in Fitz, KVN, Flowers and Bobby.

To make the playoffs and to win knockout games requires some smart on-field decision-making at key times. Our group might be a little callow still to be that cool-headed under pressure.
That’s where coaching and personnel moves come in. The team makes it a point to bring in guys who love football. They drive home their philosophy that they will win if they follow the plan. Once you start winning it doesn’t matter if it’s the playoffs or regular season. That’s embedded in you. Unless you’re Marty Schottenheimer. Lol

I think we will be quite a different team this season. The difference is Tua. The guy we all wanted and drafted will be showing up this year. The very guy that hit Waddle with TD rainbows at Bama. He just wasn't 100% last season but he learned an amazing amount from the experience of getting beat up a little and he also learned a ton thanks to the mentoring skills of Ryan Fitzpatrick who really earned my respect as a Dolphin. It's Tua time and he's coming for Buffalo, NE and the Jets!! That in itself closes the gap but we also added great talent in the draft including the most explosive receiver on the board. The Fuller pick up is going to be a key acquisition going forward. We have gotten so much faster on offense it crazy. Waddle, Fuller, Wilson and Grant are all sprinters. The other big thing is the o-line which, I believe, is finally fixed. At long last we have the right people playing the right positions. Eichenberg looks powerful on tape and he doesn't give up sacks so pencil him in at RT, kick Hunt to G, Jackson at LT and Kindley at LG and Skura at C. That to me is a very talented offensive line. So, yes the offense will be really good imo and we know Flo loves his defense and he got plenty of new toys. Both units are MUCH better than last season. Flo's not done turning the roster. There still may be a FA RB on the way but that remains to be seen.

If Tua and the OL, along with Fuller and the draft picks, can develop into a reliable scoring offense.......then I think we might finally be able to attract the interest of some of the top offensive coordinators.

Being the blind homer that I am I'll hope our two headed approach works. But IMHO a great OC is what is really holding us back.

We ain't getting Reid or Shanahan...or even Payton or McVay. But hey I'm easy to please, so maybe a Darrell Bevell or an Arthur Smith. I'd take Josh McDaniels just to piss of Bill. I forget who the Browns have but he seems okay to me.

I thought CK, once again, made the striking point that our draft reflects a win now mentality.

I think they're primed for a playoff run, but talk to me when they hit the playoffs...they very well may make a run at the Super Bowl.

I can use this answer to answer many questions. All depends on Tua, good draft, average draft, no matter, all on Tua. If Tua blossom, we are even with the Bills. If not, then nothing else matter.

I don't think we did enough with our pass rush.

Yes, we drafted Phillips, and that should help if he remains concussion free, but that's ALL we did, and if we made a mistake in this offseason, I think that was it.

Allen KILLED us last year because we couldn't get close to him. He had all day to find receivers-- and we have some GREAT CBs. You can't win with a great secondary alone when you are playing a top 10 QB, and the better teams all have top 10 QBs.

In today's game, you don't need one great pass-rusher... you need three.
I think we did what we could to indirectly improve the pass rush as we didn’t have the money for a splashy FA (by improving the offense). I don’t know what more we could have done in the draft outside of not taking Long (which I saw you mention) and targeting a developmental rusher. Perhaps that would have been the better move. However, if we don’t want to give Gesicki elite money Long could very well end up the primary TE in 2022.

Back
Top Bottom