OBJ will visit the Dolphins tomorrow | Page 54 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OBJ will visit the Dolphins tomorrow

Not sure how Nix will be in the NFL, but I think we'll agree it's not likely he gets out of the 1st round.
I could see he lasting till the 2nd. Both him and Penix who are QB 5/6 depending on were you look are both 2nd round talents who get overdrafted due to being QBs.

Kinda depends on were JJ goes. If he lasts till say 11 to Minnesota. Then the next 2 teams are Denver/Vegas as QB needy teams. Basically if thise two don't take QB both or 1 of Nix/Penix will fall, unless a team moves up late first to grap one. A lot of drafts have 1 of or both those QBs in the 2nd. Most also seem to have Penix over Nix. If Penix checks out on medicals I think he goes before Nix (better NFL arm). Both Penix/Nix have questions. Both were kinda meh/ up and down a lot at the senior bowl week as well. Which is kinda disappointing considering they are 5/6 year guys, who should have kinda starred in the senior bowl. It brings back the question of were their big numbers more due to talent or because they played on high power O teams in the PAC (horrible D).

I could see he lasting till the 2nd. Both him and Penix who are QB 5/6 depending on were you look are both 2nd round talents who get overdrafted due to being QBs.

Kinda depends on were JJ goes. If he lasts till say 11 to Minnesota. Then the next 2 teams are Denver/Vegas as QB needy teams. Basically if thise two don't take QB both or 1 of Nix/Penix will fall, unless a team moves up late first to grap one. A lot of drafts have 1 of or both those QBs in the 2nd. Most also seem to have Penix over Nix. If Penix checks out on medicals I think he goes before Nix (better NFL arm). Both Penix/Nix have questions. Both were kinda meh/ up and down a lot at the senior bowl week as well. Which is kinda disappointing considering they are 5/6 year guys, who should have kinda starred in the senior bowl. It brings back the question of were their big numbers more due to talent or because they played on high power O teams in the PAC (horrible D).

Plus, you never know when Nix reverts to his Auburn form.

Hard to imagine Denver and Las Vegas not going quarterback, but they also could potentially trade up into the backend of the 1st round.

Obviously, depends on their evaluations of Nix and Penix. If they don't believe either moves the needle enough, they could wait until 2025.

Decent at Oregon?? That's ridiculous. Heisman finalists are never just decent. He was outstanding throughout his tenure at Oregon. Nix may fall to the 2nd, but no further. And if he did get drafted by the Dolphins he would be immediately the #2.
7th round and competition for the 3rd string QB...LMAO.
His senior season, 4508 yards, 77% completions, 9.6 yards per attempt, 45 TD passes, and 3 ints and you dare to call that simply "decent"?
There have been a lot of QB’s who have put up great numbers in college who never are anymore than backups at best in the NFL. Nix was a fifth year player going against a lot of young teenagers for the most part.

I will be extremely surprised if he ever becomes a solid starter in the NFL but anything is possible.

Hard to imagine Denver and Las Vegas not going quarterback, but they also could potentially trade up into the backend of the 1st round.

Obviously, depends on their evaluations of Nix and Penix. If they don't believe either moves the needle enough, they could wait until 2025.
Yep. It really is Dever/Vegas for those two. Will one trade up over Minnesota for say JJ? Do both go with one of Penix/NIx. Basically if Den/Vegas stay put and pass at QB then one or both Penix/Nix could fall into the 2nd. I hope they both go QB, push more talent down the board for Miami at 21.

Yep. It really is Dever/Vegas for those two. Will one trade up over Minnesota for say JJ? Do both go with one of Penix/NIx. Basically if Den/Vegas stay put and pass at QB then one or both Penix/Nix could fall into the 2nd. I hope they both go QB, push more talent down the board for Miami at 21.
Both those teams are competing with Mahomes and Kansas City too. So, I would do anything in my power to move up if they don't view Nix or Penix as the answer. You aren't going to compete with Mahomes with mid-level quarterbacks. Not saying those two are, but if that's the evaluation you either wait until 2025 or trade a boatload of picks to move up for McCarthy, Daniels etc.

As to Nix, I think he'd actually be a perfect fit in Miami's offense. At least the way it is currently constructed, get the ball out quickly and accurately to playmakers. I think Nix could do that and add the athletic element that Tua doesn't have.

Again, just to be clear, I'd stick with Tua. But I think it's worth discussing.

Both those teams are competing with Mahomes and Kansas City too. So, I would do anything in my power to move up if they don't view Nix or Penix as the answer. You aren't going to compete with Mahomes with mid-level quarterbacks. Not saying those two are, but if that's the evaluation you either wait until 2025 or trade a boatload of picks to move up for McCarthy, Daniels etc.

As to Nix, I think he'd actually be a perfect fit in Miami's offense. At least the way it is currently constructed, get the ball out quickly and accurately to playmakers. I think Nix could do that and add the athletic element that Tua doesn't have.

To me while Nix would be an upgrade on athletic aspects over Tua, he is also is a downgrade on anticipation and ball placement. Nix is also a clear downgrade at downfield accuracy. As Utah pointed out, if you get him out of that Oregon simple pass O (30% of his completions were behind the LOS) does he resort back to Auburn Nix?

To me while Nix would be an upgrade on athletic aspects over Tua, he is also is a downgrade on anticipation and ball placement. Nix is also a clear downgrade at downfield accuracy. As Utah pointed out, if you get him out of that Oregon simple pass O (30% of his completions were behind the LOS) does he resort back to Auburn Nix?
Agree. To be fair, Tua is exceptional with anticipation and ball placement. Maybe the best in the league, or among the best in those areas.

There have been a lot of QB’s who have put up great numbers in college who never are anymore than backups at best in the NFL. Nix was a fifth year player going against a lot of young teenagers for the most part.

I will be extremely surprised if he ever becomes a solid starter in the NFL but anything is possible.
Who knows how he will turn out in the NFL? It is just speculation at this point. But saying he was merely "decent" at Oregon is one of the most ridiculous things I've read in a long while.

I've told my Raiders fan friend, who really only follows the team now on a superficial level, to be prepared for his team to take McCarthy if he makes it to their pick. He gets all upset and insists they must only consider OLs at that pick. I reply with maybe so but don't expect it.

I’d love to get a mid 2nd and 2025 1st rounder for pick 21. I’ll throw in Liam Eichenberg, Mike White, Durham Smythe, Jason Sanders and a 2025 3rd rounder.

Last edited:
I've told my Raiders fan friend, who really only follows the team now on a superficial level, to be prepared for his team to take McCarthy if he makes it to their pick. He gets all upset and insists they must only consider OLs at that pick. I reply with maybe so but don't expect it.
Does he think their current quarterback is the answer? I don't see it.

No way on Nix in the first. As I stated only way a QB in the first is if McCarthy was there at 21 (which looks highly unlikely). A lot of mocks have Nix late first or even in the second. Him and Penix seem to flip around and will go anywhere from mid 1st to 2nd round. Both thise two are 2nd round talent QBs. They may go first round because teams always overdraft QBs when they are in need. It is fine to reach on a QB if you need a QB. Miami doesn't NEED a QB. Only way you take a QB is if a top talent fell for some reason (think Marino 83). So unless one if the top 4 QBs in this draft fell, no way do you take QB at 21. Both Nix/Penix are not those type QBs. Both are super Srs who struggled when in conferences that played defense and didn't put up big numbers till in pass happy Os in the Pac were D seams optional at times. Penix/Nix very well may be great but way to many red flags for Miami's situation.
If a great value QB drops to 21, you trade the pick. You don't take another QB when we have holes and QB isn't one of them.

If a great value QB drops to 21, you trade the pick. You don't take another QB when we have holes and QB isn't one of them.
That would be a good scenario. You might have to accept a future pick (2025) to get the best deal, though.

I'm fine with that too for a nice return.

Back
Top Bottom