Obvious concerns with Dan Campbell... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Obvious concerns with Dan Campbell...

BigNastyFish

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
First and foremost, I have NO issue with promoting him to "Interim Head Coach." His presser was impressive and he brings an obvious intensity and potential "toughness" this team has lacked.

He describes himself primarily as a "motivator" and someone focused on getting the most out of the players talent. Again, this is something we've obviously lacked and certainly a positive quality for a HC.

That said, my concern focuses on Campbell's lack of coaching experience, and specifically his lack of any tenure as a DC or OC. That by itself may not be a death blow, but certainly a point to consider in terms of matching up against other very experienced HCs who have either a strong D background or experience calling plays and/or formulating O game plans.

So the question is -- is it enough to be a strong motivator and disciplinarian as a top quality NFL HC -- or is it essential to be a "special talent" as a defensive mind or offensive mind?

I think the lack of that (as a proven commodity) is a significant concern for Dan's long term viability as an NFL HC.

BNF

No worries, he wont be coaching, he will be yelling

I prefer him over Lazor or anyone else.. We didn't have much of a choice

Well, we're 1-3 and we got nothing to lose at this point.

So let's find out what we've got there. Steve Ross said he wanted a young Don Shula. We know he's young, and now let's find out if he's the next Shula.

Well, we're 1-3 and we got nothing to lose at this point.

So let's find out what we've got there. Steve Ross said he wanted a young Don Shula. We know he's young, and now let's find out if he's the next Shula.

Shula?

Never happen.

He's more qualified than Philbin was. Being a former player brings a definite value. As does his Parcells/Payton pedigree. He's been team captain of championship teams. He's been with the Dolphins longer than Philbin and has done a damn good job in his role. Realistically Philbin has only ever been a position coach and administrator. Ya'll were so confident when Philbin was hired yet the difference in experience is not that extreme and honestly Dan has a lot more success and better background to build off of. This is a substantially better hire than Philbin was.

First and foremost, I have NO issue with promoting him to "Interim Head Coach." His presser was impressive and he brings an obvious intensity and potential "toughness" this team has lacked.

He describes himself primarily as a "motivator" and someone focused on getting the most out of the players talent. Again, this is something we've obviously lacked and certainly a positive quality for a HC.

That said, my concern focuses on Campbell's lack of coaching experience, and specifically his lack of any tenure as a DC or OC. That by itself may not be a death blow, but certainly a point to consider in terms of matching up against other very experienced HCs who have either a strong D background or experience calling plays and/or formulating O game plans.

So the question is -- is it enough to be a strong motivator and disciplinarian as a top quality NFL HC -- or is it essential to be a "special talent" as a defensive mind or offensive mind?

I think the lack of that (as a proven commodity) is a significant concern for Dan's long term viability as an NFL HC.

BNF

Try him or keep Philbin? He get's my blessing.

I don't mind a head coach being a leader and motivator, as long as he has strong X's and O's guys at the coordinator spot. Let the head coach set the culture, philosophy, and personality of the team. He can then drive those qualities to the X's and O's guys.

I've never understood why everyone always assumes a good coordinator makes a good head coach. IMO, a good coordinator is a mastermind on the chalkboard, but not always a leader of men.

With that said, I don't think Dan has the coordinators around him to survive.

no sweatin' SoupDan, he's gettin a resume boost.. makes firing the whole bunch easier (Lazor, et al).. Campbell won't be here next year

Well, every coach is green at some point. I like what I'm hearing so far for sure. He doesn't have to micro manage necessarily, if he can get the major points right, it can trickle down and make a big difference.

He was just on the finsiders...I'm sure it will be posted later, have a listen, good stuff. Talked about riding the line between "legal and.....well, I'll leave it there"

At this moment the problem he has is Coyle and Lazor are running 2 of the elements and calling plays for each. If he had strong coordinators then they'll be fine. Problem is that both seem to be incompetent boobs that are going to continue hurting this team as long as they are in the building.

My question is that if he keeps Coyle what will the fans reaction be?

If Lazor would have produced this year he would be in that seat. He didn't. Coyle sure as hell didn't. They have pride but they must know they haven't done their job. Rizzi was my next guess but who knows. Campbell, love it or hate it, has produced at his position and commands respect. There are glaring concerns but he was the best of what's around.

Unfortunately I can already see the writing on the wall. Ross cans Campbell after the season for Magini or some other derp. Campbell moves on elsewhere to become a great coach, meanwhile we are headed back to square 1 after two years.

Barry Jackson@flasportsbuzz 3m3 minutes ago
Barry Jackson Retweeted Brett Tessler
Agent for NFL players, including Dolphins

Before Stephen Ross hired Joe Philbin he said he was looking for "a young Don Shula"... Maybe he just found one in Dan Campbell.@TesslerSports

Tessler seem to like the move or maybe he wants to stay positive for negotiating purposes in the future..

Back
Top Bottom