Obvious concerns with Dan Campbell... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Obvious concerns with Dan Campbell...

The Dolphins record at the end of the season, level of play, and player support will determine whether he remains HC or not. In his presser he said he is taking as a long-term position.

Tough way to break into the role as HC though. The easiest part of the schedule were the first two games. Our next game going against Mariota won't be easy. He is not a typical rookie. If Miami doesn't get pressure on him, he'll show what we've been missing...great QB play. 4 of the next 5 games on the road and pretty tough home schedule that follows.

Sporano was a position coach....Philbin was not a typical Offensive coordinator, since McCarthy called the plays. Campbell another position coach with no X's and O's experience. His presser was interesting, but very worried about his lack of experience.

Another interesting experience-- six years with the Phins. 2 years with Tony and 4 years with Philbin. Is that something one would put on your resume?

Not sure...but I hope we wen 10 out of the remaining 12 games and get into the playoff. Then all of this will be a bad dream.

Worst case scenario is the team goes 8-8 (Joe Philbin would be proud) ,garnering a middle of the road draft pick as usual , Ross decides to keep Dan Campbell & the rest of the coaching staff. 2nd to worst case scenario the Dolphins go 1-15 Dan Campbell and the rest of the coaching staff are gone in 2016 and the Dolphins end up with the #1 pick in the draft. Best case scenario Dan Campbell proves to be a good Head Coach, gets the team to play inspired football, makes some personnel & scheme changes, while the Dolphins end up with a winning record and make the playoffs.

Worst case scenario is the team goes 8-8 (Joe Philbin would be proud) ,garnering a middle of the road draft pick as usual , Ross decides to keep Dan Campbell & the rest of the coaching staff. 2nd to worst case scenario the Dolphins go 1-15 Dan Campbell and the rest of the coaching staff are gone in 2016 and the Dolphins end up with the #1 pick in the draft. Best case scenario Dan Campbell proves to be a good Head Coach, gets the team to play inspired football, makes some personnel & scheme changes, while the Dolphins end up with a winning record and make the playoffs.
Is that the worst case? We're the worst team in football. If Dan gets us to go 7-5 the rest of the way that's pretty damn impressive.

Let's see if there's a fullback brought in soon.

Im beginning to think that good HCs are born, not made. Either you have the innate ability to organize, plan and lead (head coach, CEO) or you don't.
Having prior HC experience doesn't necessarily make you good at being a HC (Wade Phillips, Norv Turner etc)
Some young assistants show potential early on and succeed (Mike Tomlin, Sean Payton etc)
In some respects picking a HC is much like the 1st round of the draft. Its a bit of a gamble. In both instances you are making an assumption that a player or coaching candidate can transition their skills to the next level. Some succeed, but many fail.
Sometimes its just a matter of luck.
None of us have any idea what type of coach Campbell will be. He may be the next up and coming star that was just waiting for the right opportunity or he may be in over his head.
The good news is that he has played in this league, which automatically will garner him some level of respect from the players. He also wasnt a star player (Mike Singletary) therefore, he likely had to be a student of the game and work harder in order to compensate for a lack of physical gifts.

I am not concerned with that. This team has lacked a personality with a will too fight. Dan appears to bring that. he is also well liked by players

Campbell was part of the Giant's 2000 Super Bowl team. They stressed stopping the run and running the football. Going to be interesting to see how much he thinks he can change quickly. His coordinators don't mesh well with that strategy. But if he gets rid of them who from outside would come in under these circumstances? He is in a catch 22. These next few days are going to be interesting. I hope he returns us to a more balanced attack offensively. Even if you are only picking up a few yards you have to run the ball. Tell Lazor to save his gimmick offense for special situations and get the QB under center more often. Tell Coyle to get much more aggressive and we will live with the consequences. Or he could fire them both and promote in house buddies to implement his plan or take chances that he can attract quality replacements quickly.

Considering he said we have to play tougher up front on both sides of the ball. I would look for some more base offensive plays and one gap defensive fronts.

Coyle I think goes in the next day or two. I think if he and Lazor have a good relationship we could see some changes. Lazor did work under Gibbs as well, so he knows how to line it up and run the ball. It will be interesting to see if the offense was what Lazor wanted to do or what Philbin wanted to do.

DC could end up being a great HC. The problem is the situation. So just like a player, he is on display for the rest of the league.

The guy he reminds me of most is Bill Cowher when he took over the Steelers from within as a ST coach. They saw the fire and respect players had for him. It didnt matter the level of coaching.

This situation is just whack. But it will be more fun to watch. It would be better if we could lure Schwartz out of working with league officials...hey! that would be a plus!

seeing two TE sets alot more in the future and I imagine more rookies will play provided they show up in practice.

Waiting for Ajayi to return. I think he could be our power back to run the ball. We have to! set up Ryan with playaction and run from behind center more! He is no Aarron Rogers back there so you have to come from behind center to keep defense honest otherwise they tee off with blitzes all day.

DC could end up being a great HC. The problem is the situation. So just like a player, he is on display for the rest of the league.

The guy he reminds me of most is Bill Cowher when he took over the Steelers from within as a ST coach. They saw the fire and respect players had for him. It didnt matter the level of coaching.

This situation is just whack. But it will be more fun to watch. It would be better if we could lure Schwartz out of working with league officials...hey! that would be a plus!

Pretty sure Cowher went from being Kansas City's DC straight to the Steelers head coaching job.

The good thing is we should run a more balanced offense now. Running the ball breeds toughness on offense and defense. Lazor can't call all the plays, Dan and Tannehill have to have input on play selection and he should be able to audible. Anyway, unless proven wrong, I don't expect we will win more than 5-6 games this year. :( We really need a RB to stay back and block. I'm afraid we won't see less penalties. I'm also afraid of Suh, they say he should be a leader but he's a disruptive locker room leader that causes uprise when he doesn't get his way. We have to play Suh the way Detroit played him as a two gap player.

Sporano was a position coach....Philbin was not a typical Offensive coordinator, since McCarthy called the plays. Campbell another position coach with no X's and O's experience. His presser was interesting, but very worried about his lack of experience.

Another interesting experience-- six years with the Phins. 2 years with Tony and 4 years with Philbin. Is that something one would put on your resume?

Not sure...but I hope we wen 10 out of the remaining 12 games and get into the playoff. Then all of this will be a bad dream.

I can understand the lack of experience concern.....

But if I'm not mistaken, John Harbaugh was never an OC or DC. I think he was a special teams coach and DB coach and is one of the better coaches in the NFL today.

You just never know where success will come from.

Back
Top Bottom