Obvious concerns with Dan Campbell... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Obvious concerns with Dan Campbell...

He's more qualified than Philbin was. Being a former player brings a definite value. As does his Parcells/Payton pedigree. He's been team captain of championship teams. He's been with the Dolphins longer than Philbin and has done a damn good job in his role. Realistically Philbin has only ever been a position coach and administrator. Ya'll were so confident when Philbin was hired yet the difference in experience is not that extreme and honestly Dan has a lot more success and better background to build off of. This is a substantially better hire than Philbin was.

Lets hope DC is more Payton than Tuna.

Unfortunately I can already see the writing on the wall. Ross cans Campbell after the season for Magini or some other derp. Campbell moves on elsewhere to become a great coach, meanwhile we are headed back to square 1 after two years.

I STRONGLY doubt that. If Campbell preforms admirably the job is his. We've all accused Ross of being too loyal. Now you're suggestions he has no loyalty towards someone(assuming he's successful) that produced when other's he's hired couldn't? I don't know why some people are having a hard time figuring out Mr.Ross. He seems pretty transparent to me.

At this moment the problem he has is Coyle and Lazor are running 2 of the elements and calling plays for each. If he had strong coordinators then they'll be fine. Problem is that both seem to be incompetent boobs that are going to continue hurting this team as long as they are in the building.

My question is that if he keeps Coyle what will the fans reaction be?

If we had real coordinators, we would not be talking about this to begin with.

I'm good with Campbell at this point. No way lazor or coyle would be a better choice. He has 12 to show what he can do. The OC and DC have not done well so if Campbell turns this around then we're set. I believe he needs to let coyle go right now thought not sure who he would promote to DC.

Ozzy rules

I STRONGLY doubt that. If Campbell preforms admirably the job is his. We've all excused Ross of being too loyal. Now your suggestions he has no loyalty towards someone(assuming he's successful) that produced when other's he's hired couldn't? I don't know why some people are having a hard time figuring out Mr.Ross. He seems pretty transparent to me.

I agree. Barring some highly qualified coach wanting the job next year, if Campbell goes 6-6 the rest of the year, he will be back as HC with different coordinators that suit his style of play.
Our OC and DC are not Parcell type coordinators. I think Campbell will bring back the defense and running attack. If RT cannot thrive in that system, then he will be phased out as well.
Frankly, I hate the WCO and both our coordinators schemes. I want a power attack and attacking hybrid defense that cover physically man to man. We don't have the horses yet, but we are almost starting from scratch anyways. Our oline and secondary will need to be replaced, as well as our LB's.

We have tried everything else the only thing we haven't tried is a first time head coach promoted from within.

Barry Jackson@flasportsbuzz 3m3 minutes ago
Barry Jackson Retweeted Brett Tessler
Agent for NFL players, including Dolphins

Before Stephen Ross hired Joe Philbin he said he was looking for "a young Don Shula"... Maybe he just found one in Dan Campbell.@TesslerSports

Tessler seem to like the move or maybe he wants to stay positive for negotiating purposes in the future..

What I've been hearing from basically everyone is that people really, really love Dan Campbell. Scott Fujita said earlier that he's now a Dolphins fan. :idk:

Maybe we get lucky for once?

What I've been hearing from basically everyone is that people really, really love Dan Campbell. Scott Fujita said earlier that he's now a Dolphins fan. :idk:

Maybe we get lucky for once?
No one hopes more than me that you're right. But I am not pinning my hopes on a guy that has 2 lousy coordinators.

I STRONGLY doubt that. If Campbell preforms admirably the job is his. We've all accused Ross of being too loyal. Now you're suggestions he has no loyalty towards someone(assuming he's successful) that produced when other's he's hired couldn't? I don't know why some people are having a hard time figuring out Mr.Ross. He seems pretty transparent to me.
Can you forsee this team winning more than 5-6 games with Lazor and Coyle on board?

I think what Daytona is fearing is that you won't get a fair evaluation and we'll move on like we did with Bowles. Todd was 2-1 but even though it was only 3 games you could see how the team responded to him. Hell you could see what he did with the ****ty secondary we had in 2008 to know he was a quality coach. It's so Dolphins to let players and coaches go only to see them go to another organization and flourish.

That said, my concern focuses on Campbell's lack of coaching experience, and specifically his lack of any tenure as a DC or OC. That by itself may not be a death blow, but certainly a point to consider in terms of matching up against other very experienced HCs who have either a strong D background or experience calling plays and/or formulating O game plans.
And how has getting coaches with more experience worked out?

Campbell was part of the Giant's 2000 Super Bowl team. They stressed stopping the run and running the football. Going to be interesting to see how much he thinks he can change quickly. His coordinators don't mesh well with that strategy. But if he gets rid of them who from outside would come in under these circumstances? He is in a catch 22. These next few days are going to be interesting. I hope he returns us to a more balanced attack offensively. Even if you are only picking up a few yards you have to run the ball. Tell Lazor to save his gimmick offense for special situations and get the QB under center more often. Tell Coyle to get much more aggressive and we will live with the consequences. Or he could fire them both and promote in house buddies to implement his plan or take chances that he can attract quality replacements quickly.

At this moment the problem he has is Coyle and Lazor are running 2 of the elements and calling plays for each. If he had strong coordinators then they'll be fine. Problem is that both seem to be incompetent boobs that are going to continue hurting this team as long as they are in the building.

My question is that if he keeps Coyle what will the fans reaction be?

Coyle is 100% GONE. Has to be. If not -- the "sham rule" will dominate the conversation...

Maybe our coordinators were working for a overly conservative boob who forced them as their boss to play to his philosophy? Maybe with a guy who will kick ass and take names (theirs) they will be more creative instead of being force fed incomprehensible unimaginative dribble that has no chance of being successful. Maybe DC won't settle for mediocrity. Maybe DC will break things and fire somebody's @$$ on the spot (I'm channeling my inner "Danny- get me the Ball",from the Replacements).. At halftime if necessary... One can only hope!

Can you forsee this team winning more than 5-6 games with Lazor and Coyle on board?

I think what Daytona is fearing is that you won't get a fair evaluation and we'll move on like we did with Bowles. Todd was 2-1 but even though it was only 3 games you could see how the team responded to him. Hell you could see what he did with the ****ty secondary we had in 2008 to know he was a quality coach. It's so Dolphins to let players and coaches go only to see them go to another organization and flourish.

12 games is alot of time to fairly evaluation Coach Campbell. Certainly you will have to take his unique hiring into context. Particularly, he inherited what the other coach left behind. As a FO (Ross & Tannebhaum) you looking to see is he able to get these players to respond? The player who are that good can he get them to be a little more? The changes he implements what is there results? More positive than negative(Hopefully)?

In private pick his brain(Which I'm positive they did). If he had an offseason knowing what he does now and what he project in the future. What would he do? What kinds of player would he like to go after? What position? Why?

So bottomline Coach Campbell has 1 hell of an opportunity to impress and the powers that be MUST take into consideration this unique setup.

I freak's like what I heard and I made a thread before all of this transpired stating..Whatever the "first" thing Coach Campbell does or says about the old coaching staff is going to tell us along. Ironically, the 1st thing was about toughness!

When you're stuck in a dysfunctional situation where the players no longer respect / believe in / want to play for their coaches, you need to make a change.

It looks to me like they went with the coach who they felt was the most respected by the players. It may or may not work out, but we needed someone to coach this team for the rest of the season and IMO Dan Campbell was the right choice.

We don’t have much to lose anyway. If we start winning games and actually show some fire and intensity on the field, great. If it doesn't work out, then try to fix this mess in the 2016 offseason.

Back
Top Bottom