Offensive game ball: Jay Fiedler and RW's... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive game ball: Jay Fiedler and RW's...

A perfect pass to McNight? Hardly...

Originally posted by Superself

Not trying to slam Jay, but you turn around and call him a journey man QB??

I'd like to know who the hell are you people comparing Fiedler to??
Give me another example of a journeyman QB in the NFL with stats comparable to Fiedler's. If you can do this, then I'll understand your point. If not then your opinions concerning Fiedler are severly flawed and lack logic.

The pass to McMichael was GREAT!
The pass to Mcknight -- perfect! 30+ yards even though most Jay haters say he can't throw it deep with accuracy.

All the receivers are giving him praise for being on target. So what is it with the fans?

McNight made a PERFECT adjustment to a poorly, underthrown pass. Jays accuracy is an area where I think he can improve. On all his passes, not just the deep JUMP Ball. To me, Jay will always be a journeyman QB until he improves in that area. And as far as his receivers praising him for being on target, I have never, repeat never, heard any receiver give Jay praise for that! I'm not saying they don't, but I have never heard of anyone other than Norv, for that matter give him praise for being an accurate passer. And if they did, it wouldn't change my mind because I comment on what I see on the field and because a coach says it, doesn't make it so.
Now, even though I believe Jay is a journeyman QB doesn't mean I don't support him and believe we can win with him. We have and we will. We have a lot of journeyman players on our team that play a much needed role. I think we will continue to win more games if we are balanced. We won yesterday, but we were a little heavy on running with RW. The game plan against the Patsy's was effective because we kept their offense off the field. The same game plan, if we continure to use it, with 41 carries has me a little concerned about wearing Ricky out before December. I think Jay is hurt, but as the season progresses and teams adjust to trying to stop RW, he will be counted on to make better throws and throw it deep more often to keep them honest. Also keep in mind that although I am critical of Feidler, I do think the areas that I don't have confidence in him he can improve on.

Jays strengths...
1) His mind- by far this is Jays greatest asset! Besides being one of the brightest guys on our team, Jay is one tough bastard!!
2) He can run (When his hip isn't bothering him) and make throws on the run.
3)Play action- Jay has improved this year with his play action fakes. It's nice to see that he has worked on this in the off-season as the "Play- Action" is one of our biggest strengths on offense. Usually, when we have strong play-action we win the game!

Jays areas to improve...
1) The long pass- Jay cannot throw anything other than the long JUMP ball. His passes are usually off target and rarely does he hit his man in stride. On long passes, Jay takes to long to deliver and tips off the safety in the process. This may be why he usually over-throws his target. I think it would be better for him if he would stick to the intermediate pass and hit his receiver at that distance, hopefully in stride and let them do the rest. Jay's velocity is also best in the intemediate range.
2) Accuracy- IMO Jay could be better with hitting his receivers in stride and keeping the ball in front of his target. To many times, his pass is late and behind, something that lets the defender get a hand in, or cause a deflection and a interception.
3) Jay needs to let his finger heal. Jay is one tough SOB, but I think his finger is causing more problems with his throwing than he is willing to let on. Maybe, he should let Lucas play in Denver if his finger continues hurting. I'm afraid, if he doesn't he will need surgery to repair the ligament damage that will eventually occur.

:) :) :)

It was not poorly under thrown...

... yes McKnight had to slow up a step, but that does not mean that qualifies the throw as a poorly thrown deep ball. I swear Fiedler cannot get a signgle break when he completes a deep ball from certain ppl. I mean how do you nit pick a 35-yard completion? At least McKnight didn't drop this one like he did in last years play off game against the Ravens. I guess that was also Fiedler's fault?

Sorry Jay throws a pretty deep ball, just because the offense is struggling a lil bit right now to get the deep ball going that doesn't change he throws a pretty deep ball. I remember the AWESOME deep throws Jay made last year. He's the same QB, he's simply trying to get his deep throw timing down.

Well I don't see his finger being a problem because that throw to McKnight was a nice throw. All he had to do was throw it 1 foot to the left and that was a TD. But that has nothing to with his arm strength or the finger limiting his ability to throw the ball deep.

Oliver...

Originally posted by SWS84

McNight made a PERFECT adjustment to a poorly, underthrown pass. Jays accuracy is an area where I think he can improve. On all his passes, not just the deep JUMP Ball. To me, Jay will always be a journeyman QB until he improves in that area. And as far as his receivers praising him for being on target, I have never, repeat never, heard any receiver give Jay praise for that! I'm not saying they don't, but I have never heard of anyone other than Norv, for that matter give him praise for being an accurate passer. And if they did, it wouldn't change my mind because I comment on what I see on the field and because a coach says it, doesn't make it so.
Now, even though I believe Jay is a journeyman QB doesn't mean I don't support him and believe we can win with him. We have and we will. We have a lot of journeyman players on our team that play a much needed role. I think we will continue to win more games if we are balanced. We won yesterday, but we were a little heavy on running with RW. The game plan against the Patsy's was effective because we kept their offense off the field. The same game plan, if we continure to use it, with 41 carries has me a little concerned about wearing Ricky out before December. I think Jay is hurt, but as the season progresses and teams adjust to trying to stop RW, he will be counted on to make better throws and throw it deep more often to keep them honest. Also keep in mind that although I am critical of Feidler, I do think the areas that I don't have confidence in him he can improve on.

Jays strengths...
1) His mind- by far this is Jays greatest asset! Besides being one of the brightest guys on our team, Jay is one tough bastard!!
2) He can run (When his hip isn't bothering him) and make throws on the run.
3)Play action- Jay has improved this year with his play action fakes. It's nice to see that he has worked on this in the off-season as the "Play- Action" is one of our biggest strengths on offense. Usually, when we have strong play-action we win the game!

Jays areas to improve...
1) The long pass- Jay cannot throw anything other than the long JUMP ball. His passes are usually off target and rarely does he hit his man in stride. On long passes, Jay takes to long to deliver and tips off the safety in the process. This may be why he usually over-throws his target. I think it would be better for him if he would stick to the intermediate pass and hit his receiver at that distance, hopefully in stride and let them do the rest. Jay's velocity is also best in the intemediate range.
2) Accuracy- IMO Jay could be better with hitting his receivers in stride and keeping the ball in front of his target. To many times, his pass is late and behind, something that lets the defender get a hand in, or cause a deflection and a interception.
3) Jay needs to let his finger heal. Jay is one tough SOB, but I think his finger is causing more problems with his throwing than he is willing to let on. Maybe, he should let Lucas play in Denver if his finger continues hurting. I'm afraid, if he doesn't he will need surgery to repair the ligament damage that will eventually occur.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one Oliver...

IMO if Jay can clean up those deep passes and hit those receivers in stride our offense will take the next step and really start to put fear in our opponents eyes.

:D :D :D

Re: We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one Oliver...

IMO if Jay can clean up those deep passes and hit those receivers in stride our offense will take the next step and really start to put fear in our opponents eyes.

Same could be said with EVERY offense in the league.

sws84 you are netpicking a little too much buddy. All I have to say is 24-10. Best in the league. So he has nothing to prove to you. You are blind my friend.

Blind? I don't think so...

Originally posted by CRAZYDOLFAN305
sws84 you are netpicking a little too much buddy. All I have to say is 24-10. Best in the league. So he has nothing to prove to you. You are blind my friend.

and I don't think I am nitpicking at all. To me, I have legitimate concerns about Jays ability to throw the long pass and be accurate. I am hardly the only one who has these concerns. Heck, Bill Parcells said on his radio show that the Dolphins do NOT have a NFL caliber passing attack. If that cannot be construed as Feidlers fault, I don't know what can. I'm not saying that I agree with Parcells on that issue. I have stated that I think Jay is a good QB, but not a great QB, and I support him 100%. He is on our team and our starting QB. When Jamar Fletcher is in the game I support him 100% also. Does Fletcher have areas he needs to work on? Sure, all our players do. To me, it's okay to discuss and debate these issues and still be 100% behind our team and coaches. Also, I am not laying the ground work for a bunch of "I told you so's" later. Thats not my style. I will continue though, to point out areas I think our team and players can improve on and support them 100% along the way. I consider my approach to be healthy and involved, not BLIND and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't get personal because my opinion is not the same as yours regarding Jay Feidler.

I'm a Jay fan but, I agree with SWS84, Jay needs to be more accurate on the deep ball. It's not a knock, it's a fact. how many times has he missed an open receiver deep? How many times has he thrown the ball out of bounds on the sideline?

It's not that he can't hit the deep ball.....hell, anybody can, eventually. He just can't do it consistently.

He played a great game yesterday and he has done THAT pretty consistently since last season but let's be realistic, he has his weaknesses...............

............ if he didn't............ he would be perfect.

Yes.....I hear ya Michelle......props to you for giving props to him.;):D

Originally posted by inFINSible
I'm a Jay fan but, I agree with SWS84, Jay needs to be more accurate on the deep ball. It's not a knock, it's a fact. how many times has he missed an open receiver deep? How many times has he thrown the ball out of bounds on the sideline?
I hear you and agree, but in our O that is not nearly as important as handing off to RW, finding the open receiver, not taking sacks and not making mistakes. Hitting a high PCT of big plays is always important, but not quite as important on this team as others that have no D or no running game.

If Jay could hit Chambers or McKnight deep at will, it would boring we'd be so unstoppable ;)

I agree with that...

... but I don't agree the McKnight reception was a poorly thrown ball by Fiedler. It was a GOOD throw, if he threw 1' to the left it would have been a GREAT throw IMO.

Oliver...

Re: I agree with that...

Originally posted by Oliver
... but I don't agree the McKnight reception was a poorly thrown ball by Fiedler. It was a GOOD throw, if he threw 1' to the left it would have been a GREAT throw IMO.

Oliver...

not sure how any 35 yard in the air reception could ever be poor thrown - not perfect maybe - but never poorly thrown. Once you are airing it out that much, the percentage of completion go way down, so that any completion is a great throw.

Bill Parcells?

... he hates Fiedler, you don't think deep down Parcells is routing for Lucas? I do, Parcell's does everything he can to down grade anything Fiedler does.

Oliver...

and I don't think I am nitpicking at all. To me, I have legitimate concerns about Jays ability to throw the long pass and be accurate. I am hardly the only one who has these concerns. Heck, Bill Parcells said on his radio show that the Dolphins do NOT have a NFL caliber passing attack. If that cannot be construed as Feidlers fault, I don't know what can. I'm not saying that I agree with Parcells on that issue. I have stated that I think Jay is a good QB, but not a great QB, and I support him 100%. He is on our team and our starting QB. When Jamar Fletcher is in the game I support him 100% also. Does Fletcher have areas he needs to work on? Sure, all our players do. To me, it's okay to discuss and debate these issues and still be 100% behind our team and coaches. Also, I am not laying the ground work for a bunch of "I told you so's" later. Thats not my style. I will continue though, to point out areas I think our team and players can improve on and support them 100% along the way. I consider my approach to be healthy and involved, not BLIND and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't get personal because my opinion is not the same as yours regarding Jay Feidler.

Originally posted by dolphan39
I hear you and agree, but in our O that is not nearly as important as handing off to RW, finding the open receiver, not taking sacks and not making mistakes. Hitting a high PCT of big plays is always important, but not quite as important on this team as others that have no D or no running game.

;)

I absolutely agree, he has a job to do on this team, and he has been doing it extremely well over the last 12 games.....

If Jay could hit Chambers or McKnight deep at will, it would boring we'd be so unstoppable

That would be terrible!!;) :biggrin:

Re: A perfect pass to McNight? Hardly...

And as far as his receivers praising him for being on target, I have never, repeat never, heard any receiver give Jay praise for that! I'm not saying they don't, but I have never heard of anyone other than Norv, for that matter give him praise for being an accurate passer. And if they did, it wouldn't change my mind because I comment on what I see on the field and because a coach says it, doesn't make it so.

Not necessarily trying to change your mind but...

What we did today was something that defenses were going to force us to prove," Chambers said. "We had to show that we could win with the pass. We did OK last week. It was just hard to keep up the scoring pace throughout the game. We corrected what we needed to, and we did the job [today]."

On the touchdown pass, Chambers said he simply ran across the field and Fiedler found him and put the ball in a place "where I could get my hands on it."

Chambers also had two down-field catches for 31 yards in the game's signature drive when the Dolphins went 74 yards in 10 plays to make it 23-6 on a 1-yard pass to tight end Randy McMichael. The drive had 67 yards in passes, including a 35-yard completion to James McKnight, who beat Otis Smith.

Fiedler indicated that the Patriots' cornerbacks were bailing on some plays, leaving the opportunities to get third wide receivers like McKnight open on deep routes. McMichael, who caught his third touchdown pass of the season, beat Lawyer Milloy to the corner of the end zone.

"It was a perfect throw," McMichael said. "He threw the ball where only I could get it."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ct07,0,3840517.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Originally posted by inFINSible

It's not that he can't hit the deep ball.....hell, anybody can, eventually. He just can't do it consistently.

He played a great game yesterday and he has done THAT pretty consistently since last season but let's be realistic, he has his weaknesses...............

............ if he didn't............ he would be perfect.

Yes.....I hear ya Michelle......props to you for giving props to him.;):D

Jay did really play a great game yesterday. As far as I'm concerned it was his best game ever. This is the type of game we need for him to suceed. He wasn't called on to carry the team but when his name was called to step up and produce, he did. I only saw one bad throw (The deep ball to Mcknight) and it was good enough for Mcknight to adjust and catch it. So Jay gets and A+. The big deal though is the goose egg under the INT. column!
You have to give props to the coaching staff as well because all week in interviews they mentioned drilling not making "I think I can get it in there throws" into his head. Pull it down and run or throw it away. He did that great yesterday especially on the TD run.

Props to Jay and the whole team yesterday!

I watched the 115 million dollar man yesterday stretching his receivers like spandex on Oprah.....

Accuracy is relative to interceptions and incompletions. Completions, by definition, are accurate throws.

63.3 percent completion percentage....is an accurate passer.

Back
Top Bottom