Offensive game ball: Jay Fiedler and RW's... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive game ball: Jay Fiedler and RW's...

Re: Re: A perfect pass to McNight? Hardly...

Originally posted by Superself

Not necessarily trying to change your mind but...

What we did today was something that defenses were going to force us to prove," Chambers said. "We had to show that we could win with the pass. We did OK last week. It was just hard to keep up the scoring pace throughout the game. We corrected what we needed to, and we did the job [today]."

On the touchdown pass, Chambers said he simply ran across the field and Fiedler found him and put the ball in a place "where I could get my hands on it."

Chambers also had two down-field catches for 31 yards in the game's signature drive when the Dolphins went 74 yards in 10 plays to make it 23-6 on a 1-yard pass to tight end Randy McMichael. The drive had 67 yards in passes, including a 35-yard completion to James McKnight, who beat Otis Smith.

Fiedler indicated that the Patriots' cornerbacks were bailing on some plays, leaving the opportunities to get third wide receivers like McKnight open on deep routes. McMichael, who caught his third touchdown pass of the season, beat Lawyer Milloy to the corner of the end zone.

"It was a perfect throw," McMichael said. "He threw the ball where only I could get it."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ct07,0,3840517.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Nice quotes, but what do you think they are going to say. They are saying the right thing, but what I really want to know is how they really feel. It would be suicidal for a receiver to say, to the media, that the QB made a bad throw. Nice effort though, but it's gonna take some better passes on the field to change my mind on Feidler. And when I see it, I will be the first to acknowledge it!

:D :D :D

Did you see McNabb throw up?

... man that was some of the funniest football I've seen in a long long time. Up chucking when you are under center, is simply a priceless moment. You know McNabb is going to take some heat over that for quite some time. The announcer also said no one wants to catch that ball. It had throw up all over it, too funny.

Oliver...

Originally posted by inFINSible
I watched the 115 million dollar man yesterday stretching his receivers like spandex on Oprah.....

Accuracy is relative to interceptions and incompletions. Completions, by definition, are accurate throws.

63.3 percent completion percentage....is an accurate passer.

Jay was great yesterday, but it is true that he doesn't do well when he goes deep, but he is great inside 20 yards. I think they need to work more on the deep play because he always overthrows everyone on it, and as you saw in the KC game, it results in interceptions.

He hasn't done well this season...

... but sorry both he and Chambers were on fire when it came to the deep last year. I think the lack of practice time during the pre-season is why they are unable to reproduce last years success to this point. I'm confident they'll get it going real soon.

Oliver...

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
Jay was great yesterday, but it is true that he doesn't do well when he goes deep, but he is great inside 20 yards. I think they need to work more on the deep play because he always overthrows everyone on it, and as you saw in the KC game, it results in interceptions.

Seems like Jay's ability will always be in question, according to the varied opinions on this tread. To the Jay bashers, remember, the coaches have much more at stake than we do. Their livelyhood depends on who produces and who doesn't, our opinions are just that "opinions" Opinions, are like ASSHOLES everybody has one and they all STINK. I'm turning the Miami Dolphins Football team over to the coaches, that's what they are being paid for. 26 & 11 ain't to shabby, I'm sticking with Jay cause I don't have a dog in the race.

Re: Did you see McNabb throw up?

Originally posted by Oliver
... man that was some of the funniest football I've seen in a long long time. Up chucking when you are under center, is simply a priceless moment. You know McNabb is going to take some heat over that for quite some time. The announcer also said no one wants to catch that ball. It had throw up all over it, too funny.

Oliver...

I didn't actually see it.....but I saw it all over his arm.......funny as hell.......You could see the defensive line just standing there with their hands on their hips, shaking their heads and looking to the sidelines like" I'm not sure if I want to tackle this man....is somebody going to call time out?... please"

McNabb looking all woozy:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I gotta say this much for McNabb... the guy is definately a gamer... He's one tough SOB for playing through that.

SWS, others - here are the QB's that are playing better than Fiedler this year:

1) Gannon
2) Mcnabb
3) Favre
4) Manning
5) Bledsoe (lots of yards, but has 5 INT's (like Jay) and been sacked 18 times - and his team has struggled)
6) Brady (been great, though he has 6 INT's)

In addition, these two have been as good as Fiedler (but not better):

7) Brooks (7 turnovers already)
8) Griese (6 INT's and 17 sacks)

Thats it, folks. Only six (maybe 8) out of 32 starting NFL QB's.

Fact: Only Brady and Mcnabb have more total TD's in the ENTIRE LEAGUE (Fiedler and Bledsoe each have 12).

Want more facts? Fiedler's only been sacked 5 times and hasnt lost a fumble this year. Know what that means? Great decision making. Ability to feel the pressure (and there has been pressure). Throws the ball away when he has to. And remember, Miami's OL isnt exactly dominant.

More facts? Jay has 3 Rushing TD's - tied for first in the league with Mcnabb. Whats the significance? Opposing LB's in pass coverage have to play closer to the line or else Jay will take off. Makes for easier, safer passes to TE's and slot receivers over the middle.

More facts - Each of the players mentioned above have been paid to be the CENTRPEICE of that team. $15 million signing bonuses, $100 million contratcs. Jay's cap number for this year is $1.8 million for the next two seasons. Not only is he a top 8 QB, but hes by far the biggest bargain in the league when wieghing productivity and dollars. No way the Phins retain its stars on defense if it dishes out a $100 million contract to a QB. This argument isnt even close. SWS, considering this last fact, I cant even fathom which other QB you think is a better fit for this team.

So call him a journeyman if you like. Complain about his "accuracy" or "poor long balls" - its all irrelevent. Jay Fiedler is getting the job done, while the big name guys that CAN throw the long ball - Warner and Culpepper and Garcia - have been mediocre at best.

There is some upside to all the perpetual complaining about Fiedler. With all the (unfair) crirticsim that he endures, Jay is slowly turning into a cult symbol :-). I for one think he is a great QB that compliments the team that Dave an Spielman have built here. And the more people hound him (and the more he proves the naysayers wrong), the larger his legend grows...

Complaining?

I guess, it's how you look at it. But, without repeating everything I have posted in the last few days throughout the board, I'll be brief.
1) I think Jay is a good QB (just not great) and we can win with him.
2) I support him and our other players 100%.
3) I think it is okay to discuss areas where I think a player can improve on, including the QB and/or coaches.
4) Jay and our teams success is dependent on whether we play as a team. Stats, etc can be misleading when evaluating a players value to his team. Jay is the consummate team player.

You do make a very good point about Jay's monitary value to our team with the salary cap ver. performance. There are several teams out there that are not getting the same value, however, that cannot always be construde as being the QB's fault. I suppose I would say team chemistry would be the biggest factor.
If you have a bunch of guys who are prima donna's than you can have all the talent in the world, but you won't win much against teams that have a bunch of journeymen who play together.
I think Jay's performance is directly related to the players he has around him. We happen to have a very solid unit this year, including the OL, and our coaches have done a good job with teaching and playing towards our players strengths (except at KC).

:D :) :D

Re: Complaining?

Originally posted by SWS84
I guess, it's how you look at it. But, without repeating everything I have posted in the last few days throughout the board, I'll be brief.
1) I think Jay is a good QB (just not great) and we can win with him.
2) I support him and our other players 100%.
3) I think it is okay to discuss areas where I think a player can improve on, including the QB and/or coaches.
4) Jay and our teams success is dependent on whether we play as a team. Stats, etc can be misleading when evaluating a players value to his team. Jay is the consummate team player.

:D :) :D

Yes, complaining....that is what you did. Now after someone spills some facts that shred your opinions into vapor, you are backtracking away from calling him a journeyman QB.
That is taking a shot at Fiedler for no reason whatsoever! He is not playing like a journeyman QB.

To add further to the FACTs which were posted earlier, here are even harder stats:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year to Date
Player PaYd PaTD PaInt RuYd RuTD 2P FL
Fiedler, Jay 1079 9 5 77 3 0 0
Griese, Brian 1176 9 6 40 1 0 0
Brooks, Aaron 1186 10 6 99 1 2 1

So, Fiedler is doing better than both Griese and Brooks....soooo are they journeymen too?

Now you are saying that Jay is the only QB that needs a team to help him win?? That just sounds stupid....I apologize, but that is ridiculous! All QBs need a supporting cast! Were you not a Dolphin fan when Marino was here??!!!

Come with something better!

I loved Marino. That said, the minute he hung up his hat I began to support Fiedler. i argue his merit almost daily. If he breaks his leg I'm a diehard Lucas fan. Or Rossenfels will be my man. I support my team regardless of the QB or wins and losses.
Personally, I really like Fiedler.

Re: A perfect pass to McNight? Hardly...

Im also a bit confused about your definitions SWS...

Originally posted by SWS84

I believe Jay is a journeyman QB

Originally posted by SWS84 .
I think Jay is a good QB

Journeyman=Good? :D

I know youre just critiquing his play, but its nitpicky. Its like criticizing Ricky on his long TD run vs the Jets, saying that he hesiated too long before hitting the hole. Its neither here nor there.

He just completed a 35 yard pass to a guy that couldnt catch a ball from 2 feet last year!

Shreds my opinion? Is that possible?

Originally posted by Superself

Yes, complaining....that is what you did. Now after someone spills some facts that shred your opinions into vapor, you are backtracking away from calling him a journeyman QB.
That is taking a shot at Fiedler for no reason whatsoever! He is not playing like a journeyman QB.

To add further to the FACTs which were posted earlier, here are even harder stats:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year to Date
Player PaYd PaTD PaInt RuYd RuTD 2P FL
Fiedler, Jay 1079 9 5 77 3 0 0
Griese, Brian 1176 9 6 40 1 0 0
Brooks, Aaron 1186 10 6 99 1 2 1

So, Fiedler is doing better than both Griese and Brooks....soooo are they journeymen too?

Now you are saying that Jay is the only QB that needs a team to help him win?? That just sounds stupid....I apologize, but that is ridiculous! All QBs need a supporting cast! Were you not a Dolphin fan when Marino was here??!!!

Come with something better!

My opinion is just that, my opinion. No one is saying you have to agree with me. I've stated my case, and you have stated yours. I can agree to disagree. And as for my definition of Journeyman I posted this yesterday afternoon in response to Oliver...

...I've been saying all along that I think Jay is a good QB, just not a GREAT QB. As for my definition of journeyman, I meant it to reflect much like someone would in the trades industry. Someone who is much better than a helper ( rookie), but not at the master level (Marino, Elway, Kelly, etc). Believe me, if (I think) a player or coach sucks, I'm not going to try and sugar coat it.

:D :D :D

Oh and here are a few more EXCELLENT statistics worth mentioning:

Fiedler is third in the league in TD% - one out of every 6.1 attempts (holy cow!)

Hes 8th in Yards per attempt - 7.34

Hes 5th in 3rd down conversion percentage - 46%

These statistics show that hes doing more than just "managing the game", hes making things happen out there...

I knew I liked him just from watching him play, but the more I read about this guy, the more I am impressed..

So, SW, in your eyes, pretty much every current starting QB in the league is a journeyman QB except for Brett Favre?

Back
Top Bottom