Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 74 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

Alex44 said:
The Bullpen really needs to keep things nailed down, if you notice throughout the year when the bullpen struggles we struggle as a whole, we arent going to outslug every team every game (although down the road I think we will be able to) we are still young and you dont want the guys to have to try and score 7 runs every game to win.

Do we have ANYONE in the minors capable of playing centerfield? Abercrombie was someone I liked at the start of the season but he has a wilder bat than Gonzo did, if he could stay in the strike zone and be a little patient he could be very good, I love his glove

Nope. The closest thing we have to a prospect is a guy named Jose Campusano, who is hitting .287-1-14-.331-.343 with 36 SB/12 CS in his first year as a center fielder after moving from SS. Obviously, he's very unpolished defensively, and his slugging is nowhere near MLB levels, so he's a long way away. The next closest is our second pick in this year's draft, a high schooler out of Georgia named Thomas Hickman. He's hitting .263-2-20-.377-.411 in rookie ball as an 18 year-old. He's at least four years away, of course, even though I have good feelings about him. But for right now, Cofredo Aberossaga is going to have to make do, and they're going to have to trade for/sign someone for next year.

death7star said:
i went over there and read your stuff...wow, you were one pissed off person.

i think us diehard fans were in the same boat as you during that game.

:sidelol:

Yes, yes I was. I cooled down after an hour or so. I just hate it when we beat ourselves. I can't stand that. There was no reason for that game to be lost, and definitely no reason to end it the way we did. That said, we moved on, came back, and won a nice game tonight, and we're right back where we were, so no harm done.

RWhitney014 said:
Nope. The closest thing we have to a prospect is a guy named Jose Campusano, who is hitting .287-1-14-.331-.343 with 36 SB/12 CS in his first year as a center fielder after moving from SS. Obviously, he's very unpolished defensively, and his slugging is nowhere near MLB levels, so he's a long way away. The next closest is our second pick in this year's draft, a high schooler out of Georgia named Thomas Hickman. He's hitting .263-2-20-.377-.411 in rookie ball as an 18 year-old. He's at least four years away, of course, even though I have good feelings about him. But for right now, Cofredo Aberossaga is going to have to make do, and they're going to have to trade for/sign someone for next year.

Im kind of disappointed Reggie didnt do better, there was one short stretch where he was hitting decently and I had some hope for him, now that were in the race he isnt even getting the ABs he would need to improve, so were in a no win situation out there in center, Alfredo isnt an every day player and Cody ross isnt the fleetest of foot out there, and is one of the most streaky hitters I have ever seen

Thank god for our pitching.....

Alex44 said:
Im kind of disappointed Reggie didnt do better, there was one short stretch where he was hitting decently and I had some hope for him, now that were in the race he isnt even getting the ABs he would need to improve, so were in a no win situation out there in center, Alfredo isnt an every day player and Cody ross isnt the fleetest of foot out there, and is one of the most streaky hitters I have ever seen

Thank god for our pitching.....

There was no reason to get your hopes up about Reggie. The guy has every tool in the world, but it's pretty telling when you're 25 and in A-ball/AA. And his stats weren't even good. Sure, he hit 25 HR combined last year, but he hit around .260 with a pitiful .310 OBP. He struck out 127 times and walked 25. He doesn't have good instincts in center field, even though his speed can mask that sometimes. He doesn't throw well, even though he's got a strong arm. He misses cut-off men, throws to the wrong base, takes bad routes, all that. He's handled adversity quite well and I love his work ethic, but the bottom line is that he's going to be 27 next year and hasn't mastered any level in professional baseball. I wish him the best and I'd love to see him put it all together somehow, because he could easily duplicate the kind of year Gary Matthews, Jr. is having in Texas at 32 (.321-14-64-.376-.517, 74 K/41 BB, good-to-spectacular D) with his physical tools, but the Marlins can't afford to fool around with the center field position.

They need to go out and trade some of their excess pitching for a prospect at the Mike Jacobs or hopefully Hanley Ramirez level, like Felix Pie of the Cubs, trade for an established yet relatively affordable veteran like Vernon Wells, or sign a veteran stopgap like Kenny Lofton or Dave Roberts for one or two years while they go out and try to draft a Curtis Granderson or Cameron Maybin.

great game tonight guys

lets do it again tommorow

josh johnson vs ben sheets

RWhitney014 said:
There was no reason to get your hopes up about Reggie. The guy has every tool in the world, but it's pretty telling when you're 25 and in A-ball/AA. And his stats weren't even good. Sure, he hit 25 HR combined last year, but he hit around .260 with a pitiful .310 OBP. He struck out 127 times and walked 25. He doesn't have good instincts in center field, even though his speed can mask that sometimes. He doesn't throw well, even though he's got a strong arm. He misses cut-off men, throws to the wrong base, takes bad routes, all that. He's handled adversity quite well and I love his work ethic, but the bottom line is that he's going to be 27 next year and hasn't mastered any level in professional baseball. I wish him the best and I'd love to see him put it all together somehow, because he could easily duplicate the kind of year Gary Matthews, Jr. is having in Texas at 32 (.321-14-64-.376-.517, 74 K/41 BB, good-to-spectacular D) with his physical tools, but the Marlins can't afford to fool around with the center field position.

They need to go out and trade some of their excess pitching for a prospect at the Mike Jacobs or hopefully Hanley Ramirez level, like Felix Pie of the Cubs, trade for an established yet relatively affordable veteran like Vernon Wells, or sign a veteran stopgap like Kenny Lofton or Dave Roberts for one or two years while they go out and try to draft a Curtis Granderson or Cameron Maybin.

Reggies work ethic is what made me want to think he could be the guy, he didnt play baseball as a kid he played football so maybe he was a little behind when he started, I dont know.

But he runs like a deer and can hit the ball 498 feet, now of course I know there is probally not much hope he ever does anything substancial but at the beggining I was hoping he would improve with more ABs

If we can get Hanley Ramirez or Jacobs production out of a young CF next year Im all for it, but also I dont want to give up to much, its always great to have excess pitching in case someone goes down

Alex44 said:
Reggies work ethic is what made me want to think he could be the guy, he didnt play baseball as a kid he played football so maybe he was a little behind when he started, I dont know.

But he runs like a deer and can hit the ball 498 feet, now of course I know there is probally not much hope he ever does anything substancial but at the beggining I was hoping he would improve with more ABs

If we can get Hanley Ramirez or Jacobs production out of a young CF next year Im all for it, but also I dont want to give up to much, its always great to have excess pitching in case someone goes down

Running fast and hitting hard do not a star make. He's got a lot to improve upon. He's either going to flame out or be a star, though. With his physical package, there's no in between.

RWhitney014 said:
Running fast and hitting hard do not a star make. He's got a lot to improve upon. He's either going to flame out or be a star, though. With his physical package, there's no in between.

Oh I know, he swings at wild pitches, his throws sail, sometimes he reads balls off the bat wrong etc.

But just looking at physical tools he has them all, thats whats kind of frustrating, you see a guy that talented and really want them to do well for your team

Gary Matthews, Corey Patterson, Adrian Beltre, Jason Lane, and the list goes on. There are many players in that category.

3 hours away from gametime, as a fan this is the most excited I have felt in a long time, what makes it even better is most of these kids arent even that much older than me :lol:

Last night you saw what happens to this lineup when Cabs isnt 100% hopefully he is closer to it tonight and they give Josh some run support, even though he is pitching great and probally wont need it the cushion is always nice and helps save the bullpen some.

Alex44 said:
3 hours away from gametime, as a fan this is the most excited I have felt in a long time, what makes it even better is most of these kids arent even that much older than me :lol:

Last night you saw what happens to this lineup when Cabs isnt 100% hopefully he is closer to it tonight and they give Josh some run support, even though he is pitching great and probally wont need it the cushion is always nice and helps save the bullpen some.

Miggy looked bad last night. Not his fault, and I give him credit for going out there and giving it his best. But that last fly ball, he just could not extend on it. That's a double in the gap for him, if not a homer, if he's extending.

Hopefully for his and our sake, he's better today and better still tomorrow and all that. We need him.

RWhitney014 said:
Miggy looked bad last night. Not his fault, and I give him credit for going out there and giving it his best. But that last fly ball, he just could not extend on it. That's a double in the gap for him, if not a homer, if he's extending.

Hopefully for his and our sake, he's better today and better still tomorrow and all that. We need him.

Well like Tommy said last night its the kind of injury you really cant make worse by playing, so Im hoping that means it slowly gets better....but generally when you hear that it also means it wont get much better for a while either....

Down 1-0 (thanks Borchard for booting the ball)

In the 2nd, if we dont score a run we werent gonna win no matter what so lets shut them down from here on out

Back
Top Bottom