Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 88 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

NYPhinFan said:
OMG...have you checked the standings???:D

Well if the season started may 22nd (which I know it doesnt and thats why its important to start strong)

The Mets would only be 1.5 games ahead of the Marlins, so Id say next year they do have something to worry about as far as the divison goes

Alex44 said:
Well if the season started may 22nd (which I know it doesnt and thats why its important to start strong)

The Mets would only be 1.5 games ahead of the Marlins, so Id say next year they do have something to worry about as far as the divison goes
The Marlins have been nothing short of amazing....respect to all...but the season did not start on May 22nd..The Mets have been the best team in the National league from start to finish. I look forward to seeing the young Marlins play for years to come.

CO-DY! CO-DY! CO-DY!

Secondly, on Preston Wilson...no. Wilson is the best center fielder we've ever had? That guy that wore #9 whom we traded Wilson for? Well, we averaged 70 wins or so a year when he played here, while we averaged in the upper 80s while JP was. Wilson is an awful defensive CF, so bad that the Cards are playing him in right while his former Marlins teammate Juan Encarnacion, who played right here, is playing center.

Preston had a huge year offensively in Colorado, sure, but that was pre-humidor Coors. While with Florida, he had one great year (.264-31-121), but the rest of his career here was mostly .265-23-68 kind of seasons, which means his homers were 1) mostly solo or 2) the only way he could drive in runs because he strikes out at near-historic rates. We're as good as we're going to get this season with the Alcojoe Amezaboross platoon. Preston Wilson just does not fit the profile of this team. He's 32, has fading skills, and would not be back next year. The only acquisition they really should have made if they had had the chance at a fair price was Soriano. They paid their due diligence, decided better of it, and have shot off at an incredible rate. They have played 18 days in a row, and if I'm not mistaken have won 13 or 14 of those games. To do that at this point in the season with the playoffs on the line is incredible, and it's not just Cabrera and Willis doing it. Scotty Olsen has stepped up huge. Anibal Sanchez has been great, even if you don't include the no-no. Joe Borchard and Cody Ross have decided that hitting homers feels good. Dan Uggla has been as productive a hitter in the two-hole can be. Hanley's been hot, Hammer's living up to the nickname. Tankersley's been good, Borowski's been good enough, Herges and Moehler and Resop are keeping a patchwork pen sewn together. Every night is a different hero, and that's what it takes to win.

Don't grouse at acquisitions that weren't made. This team is just fine the way it is and needs very few adjustments for next year. As far as I'm concerned, there are 5 new players needed: a center fielder, either the Vernon Wells or Chris Young type, the real Jeremy Hermida, who will appear as the second- or third-best offensive player next year and in the future, and three reliable bullpen arms to go along with Tank and Borowski, who I think stays. Whether those are Logan Kensing and Carlos Martinez when they return from injury, Resop and Randy Messenger when they get up to speed, Harvey Garcia or Jesus Delgado (keep an eye out for Garcia) when they make it to the bigs, or unforeseen FA additions, who knows, but we need three of them, four if Borowski leaves. That's it. Our bench is fantastic, especially when a real CF allows Ross, Borch, and Amezaga to do what they do best, and even more so if Mr. Close and Late Wes Helms returns, as should be ensured.

I knew this team was talented, but how close they are to winning it all, not just competing, is amazing me to no end. They are a pleasure.

13,000 at tonights game in Miami. What was it hat night? Why the big turnout?:sidelol: :sidelol:

Good game tonight fellas. Your boys looked good.

Not to throw a damper on it but next season there will be expectations so ill be interested to see how these kids play now that they will be expected to have a good season. Expectations bring pressure and im not saying they cant handle it, just that it could be something to watch if some guys dont respond well.

MikeO said:
13,000 at tonights game in Miami. What was it hat night? Why the big turnout?:sidelol: :sidelol:

:rolleyes:

Anyway...just hearing RWhit say JP and Encarnacion brings me back the thoughts of the 2003 Team. Damn I loved that team. :yes:

Boik14 said:
Good game tonight fellas. Your boys looked good.

Not to throw a damper on it but next season there will be expectations so ill be interested to see how these kids play now that they will be expected to have a good season. Expectations bring pressure and im not saying they cant handle it, just that it could be something to watch if some guys dont respond well.

not to mention how their new manager will handle them and if they will accept a new manager after Joe

NYPhinFan said:
The Marlins have been nothing short of amazing....respect to all...but the season did not start on May 22nd..The Mets have been the best team in the National league from start to finish. I look forward to seeing the young Marlins play for years to come.

He said IF...IF

:rolleyes2
MikeO said:
oh man i never heard that joke before!

need a good start from josh tonight, hopefully he gets it together from his last couple starts

Back
Top Bottom