Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread

Alex44

Chicago Bears GM
Reaction score
The off season is rapidly drawing to a close and were almost to spring training, almost time for some baseball :yes:

Couple little stories:

Young Marlins Well Armed For 07

Sanchez, Johnson Easing Into Spring Training

The rotation should look something along these lines if everyone stays healthy:

1) Willis
2) Sanchez/Johnson
3) Olsen
4) Johnson/Sanchez
5) Nolasco

I like the idea of switching back and forth between lefty and righty pitchers to keep clubs honest, give them a different look every night. Sanchez is my personal front runner to be the number two guy, but I could also see it going to Johnson. Either way I'd say talent wise our top 4 is as good or better than any in the league, and Nolasco isn't a slouch. If Willis regains his form we could easily have four guys with 16 wins, and Nolasco with around 12. Olsen and Sanchez are by far my two favorite guys, they both have potential so high it just shoots through the roof. Both guys could grow into 20 game winners and All Stars at some point in their career and hopefully they are Marlins when we see that happen. Both guys have nasty stuff and can be unhittable at times (Sanchez showed that last year by actually throwing a no-no). Willis is a somewhat unknown, personally I think he pitched far better than his record last season. He got very little run support and could have won 4 or 5 more games than he did. That said he was wild at times and had his share of struggles. Josh Johnson doesn't have the best stuff but he really knows what to use and when to use it, I don't see the potential that Olsen and Sanchez have in him but even as it is I see him as a 15 to 16 game winner every year. I'm not a Nolasco fan as some of you know....I think he has great stuff for a span of a few innings but then he gets to easy to figure out. I'd love to have another starter step up and give Ricky the closer role.

As for the lineup

1) Hanley: SS
2) Uggla: 2B
3) Cabrera: 3B
4) Jacobs: 1B
5) Willingham: LF
6) Hermida: RF
7) Olivo:C
8) Alex Sanchez: CF (as of now I have him as our CF)
9) Pitcher

Hanley is going to be a stud, he really improved as the season went along his average and power numbers just kept climbing as he gained experience and confidence.

Uggla had an amazing year last season, and lots of people don't know if he can keep it up but I think he can. Even in the minors he could always hit pretty well, fielding is what kept him from being a Major League player and he has made huge strides in that area. Not to mention he has great protection behind him in Miggy.

Cabrera is going to do what he always has, if Jacobs can step up his game some and provide protection for Miggy then I expect Cabrera may have a career year.

Jacobs was really up and down, and I really hope he steps it up. We all know he had some injury problems last year (mainly the ankle) but he is going to be a key piece

Willingham is what he is. A very solid hitter who will struggle from time to time, but he plays hard and if he can be consistent he will be a huge piece for us.

Hermida struggled last year, was injured often and never found his form, but trust me he has great potential if he can stay healthy. I expect him to have a solid year and then take off with a great year in 08.

Olivo really improved his defense but he really needs to get more consistent at the plate. I doubt he will get as many first pitch fastballs this year and he needs to adjust.

Sanchez is a speedy guy, the kind of guy I love as my number 8 hitter. He can get a single, steal a base and have the pitcher bunt him over to third. He has the speed to make things happen.

Overall I think we have the pieces to make a push at the playoffs, and if everything comes together perfect then maybe even the division. We need to not make so many critical mistakes on defense to just give other teams runs. We aren't going to sit there and out slug teams every game so we need to be efficient. Hopefully last years run gave these guys the confidence to keep on rolling.

Here's to an injury free playoff year!

Still can't believe we couldn't do better than Alex Sanchez in CF. And I'm still holding out for K-Mart to recover and be our closer-of-the-future. I think Tank is too good to waste in the closer role.

Still think D-Train will be D-Train and have another solid year. 16+ wins and sub 3.3 ERA.

Definetly excited about Olsen and Sanchez. Nasty stuff. Johnson still is a question mark in my eyes, but you can't argue with production.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding Nolasco, as I think he screams middle relief. But, IMO, he probably gets to hold down the 5 spot for a few years until some of our studs in Jupiter are ready. But, we can do much worse than Nolasco as a 5.

Nice write up. I'll be rooting for the Marlins again this year. Hopefully my 'boys' Hanley and Anibal continue their success in their sophomore year.

Good luck!

ive already said it and ill say it again: WE WILL WIN THE DIVISION.

EDIT: we will win the wild card. we get the wild card and MLB might as well just hand us the trophy!:D

The Marlins worked out Shannon Stewart to see if he's healthy so he might be the starting CF.

That would probably be a mistake. Stewart doesn't have the wheels anymore nor has he played CF in years. Plus he's always injuried. Maybe if they signed him to play LF or RF and move Hermida to CF it could work.

One name to look at who could be available is David Murphy from the Red Sox. A young lefty hitter that reportly gained 15 pounds of muscle in the off season.

I don't follow baseball during the offseason at all, but I follow the Marlins and a few other teams during the actual season. Really, I don't get into baseball until the playoffs......season is too long and boooooring.

How are the Marlins looking for next year though?

I don't follow baseball during the offseason at all, but I follow the Marlins and a few other teams during the actual season. Really, I don't get into baseball until the playoffs......season is too long and boooooring.

How are the Marlins looking for next year though?

They look like the 03-04 Heat.....young and full of potential.

They can easily make the playoffs...

Their pitching is key..if it stays healthy..they will carry them to 85 wins..
I think it will take 91 wins to make the playoffs...

It can Happen.

They look like the 03-04 Heat.....young and full of potential.

They can easily make the playoffs...

Their pitching is key..if it stays healthy..they will carry them to 85 wins..
I think it will take 91 wins to make the playoffs...

It can Happen.

91 wins will be difficult with our bullpen.

Nice write up. I'll be rooting for the Marlins again this year. Hopefully my 'boys' Hanley and Anibal continue their success in their sophomore year.

Good luck!

Why...Do you want to see Theo fired??!! :sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:

It is true. Theo quit the GM position with the Sox on 10/31/05. The Beckett deal was made in late Nov/early Dec 2005. Theo returned in Jan 2006.

Be prepared, MikeO is going to say something along the lines of: 'Oh and you think Theo wasnt pulling the strings in those few months? That he would come back knowing deals he didnt want were made? He just took a vacation and came back, his fingerprints are all over it :shakeno:'

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom