Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread

I watched a lot of games last year........far more than I expected. This year, I plan on watching even more. I'm excited to watch guys like Hanley Ramirez and Josh Johnson progress. Can't forget about Anibal's no-hitter last year. I remember how pumped Cabrera was (fellow Venezuelan).

Go Marlins.

(as for the MLB in general, I won't watch any other games until the playoffs like always!)
..other than the Yanks & Red Sox, some Ryan Howard, some Mets games :wink:

Marlins Mailbag

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news...t_id=1793646&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

What are the chances that Dan Uggla moves out of the No. 2 slot in the lineup? I really like the idea of putting a power hitter in the two slot, as it gives the lineup protection with the No. 3 slot -- in this case, Miguel Cabrera -- without moving Cabrera down to the four slot. That's much like Chris Duncan and Albert Pujols with the Cards. However, the "normal" lineup is having two very fast guys as your 1-2, and putting all power hitters in the middle of the lineup. So will Uggla stay at the two spot or will he move to the middle of the lineup?
Secondly, why didn't the Marlins go after Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 Draft? He has a lot of talent and could have possibly won the starting center-field spot.
-- John H., Gainesville, Fla.

I'll address the second question first. From what I've gathered, the Marlins indeed were leaning toward taking Hamilton in the Rule 5 Draft, but the former Tampa Bay prospect was taken third by the Cubs, who picked ahead of the Marlins in the draft order. Immediately, Chicago turned around and traded him to the Reds to complete a prearranged deal. As for Uggla hitting second, you may recall the All-Star second baseman paced the team in home runs with 27. Cabrera and Josh Willingham each had 26. So having Uggla batting ahead of Cabrera does provide a powerful 2-3 option. I like Uggla batting second because it seemed when he was asked to bat lower in the order, he tried to do too much, and lengthened his swing to be more of a power hitter. Batting ahead of Cabrera and behind Ramirez, he found a nice groove. The question I have with Uggla, and it's similar to the other rookies from a year ago, is how they will adjust to their second full season in the big leagues.

A couple different pieces of news. I'll do them in seperate posts to be easy.

FSN to televise 150 games this season.

FSN to televise 150 games

FSN Florida will televise 150 Marlins regular-season games, including 74 home and 76 road games.
The exclusive regional television home of the Marlins, FSN Florida once again will feature the broadcast team of Rich Waltz handling play-by-play and Tommy Hutton handling commentary.

Last but not least.

Closer to be determined in Spring

Through creativity and craftiness, the Marlins' front office was able to put together a World Series championship club in 2003 and one of the most promising young squads in the league last season.
Yet, for all the clever moves and quality players brought in, one area of the club has repeatedly been the most frustrating to build: the bullpen.

This team and season are going to frustrate the hell out of me.

SOOO much talent, and yet, such GLARING weaknesses. Ohh, and the ERRORS!! :wall:

Can't wait. :D

I'm still not settled with Mike Jacobs, his infield play is okay, but his bat is inconsistent, especially against lefties. He does do a good job though.

I would not be surprised if we send 4 Marlins to the All Star game this season, or even 5-6 [depending on how are young pitchers do].

But the 4 that have the best chance are: Miguel Cabrera [no brainer], Dontrelle Willis, Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla.

I'm still not settled with Mike Jacobs, his infield play is okay, but his bat is inconsistent, especially against lefties. He does do a good job though.

I would not be surprised if we send 4 Marlins to the All Star game this season, or even 5-6 [depending on how are young pitchers do].

But the 4 that have the best chance are: Miguel Cabrera [no brainer], Dontrelle Willis, Hanley Ramirez, Dan Uggla.

Jake is not a franchise player. He's merely a pretty good 1B. But as far as last year is concerned, he was playing on a broken ankle for about 5 months. That injury healing up should help boost his numbers. He never had problems in the minors with hitting lefties, so a fresh psychological start with them could help, especially because there's no Wes Helms behind him to absolutely take the ABs if he doesn't do well. I could see him posting .270-27-85-.340 numbers with average-to-below-average defense this year, and if that's in the 5 hole, it's plenty acceptable.

Jake is not a franchise player. He's merely a pretty good 1B. But as far as last year is concerned, he was playing on a broken ankle for about 5 months. That injury healing up should help boost his numbers. He never had problems in the minors with hitting lefties, so a fresh psychological start with them could help, especially because there's no Wes Helms behind him to absolutely take the ABs if he doesn't do well. I could see him posting .270-27-85-.340 numbers with average-to-below-average defense this year, and if that's in the 5 hole, it's plenty acceptable.

Works for me. Can't wait for Gaby to get his shot.

The Marlins' dour prediction of continued low payrolls also is why pitcher Dontrelle Willis, the only other Marlin making big money, is sure to be the subject of trade rumors again. Anyone who doubts D-Train might be in another uniform before season's end hasn't been paying attention to the ardor with which the Jeffrey Loria ownership works to save a buck.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/02/13/truth.rumors.mlb/index.html

Back
Top Bottom