Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread

its time to trade the d-train.

so we still dont have a catcher or center fielder...WTF was our front office doing this offseason???

Alex Sanchez will be the CF. Not a bad player....good speed and decent fielder. Should be our #8 hitter.

Marlins' Cabrera becomes first in '07 to win arbitration

Miguel Cabrera became the first player to win in arbitration this year when the Florida Marlins' All-Star third baseman was awarded a $7.4 million salary on Saturday instead of the team's offer of $6.7 million.

Cabrera made $472,000 last year and was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He was second in the NL last season with a .339 batting average, and he had 26 homers and 114 RBIs.

The arbitration panel of Howard Block, Stephen Goldberg and Elliott Shriftman made the decision one day after hearing arguments in the case.

Cabrera received the third-highest salary in arbitration, trailing only the $10 million Alfonso Soriano earned after losing to Washington last year and the $8.2 million Andruw Jones got when he defeated Atlanta in 2001.

Cabrera was ecstatic with the ruling, said his agent, Fernando Cuza.

"We were confident going in," Cuza said. "You never know how the arbitrator is actually going to rule, but we felt good about it."

Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said the team budgeted for the decision to go either way.

"You're talking about a guy who's up in the top of his class," Beinfest said. "We thought our filing number was indicative of that, and obviously the arbitrators thought otherwise. It was a lot of money either way for a great player."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/17/bc.bbn.marlins.cabrera.ap/index.html

Marlins' Cabrera becomes first in '07 to win arbitration

Miguel Cabrera became the first player to win in arbitration this year when the Florida Marlins' All-Star third baseman was awarded a $7.4 million salary on Saturday instead of the team's offer of $6.7 million.

Cabrera made $472,000 last year and was eligible for arbitration for the first time. He was second in the NL last season with a .339 batting average, and he had 26 homers and 114 RBIs.

The arbitration panel of Howard Block, Stephen Goldberg and Elliott Shriftman made the decision one day after hearing arguments in the case.

Cabrera received the third-highest salary in arbitration, trailing only the $10 million Alfonso Soriano earned after losing to Washington last year and the $8.2 million Andruw Jones got when he defeated Atlanta in 2001.

Cabrera was ecstatic with the ruling, said his agent, Fernando Cuza.

"We were confident going in," Cuza said. "You never know how the arbitrator is actually going to rule, but we felt good about it."

Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said the team budgeted for the decision to go either way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/02/17/bc.bbn.marlins.cabrera.ap/index.html

700k difference? are you kidding me? The FO called him out over 700k?

gonna be a good year for the Marlins. I don't think anyone besides the Mets are any good in the divison so I expect a two horse race the whole year

gonna be a good year for the Marlins. I don't think anyone besides the Mets are any good in the divison so I expect a two horse race the whole year

then you'll be disappointed. The Braves are going to be better than they were last year after fixing their bullpen and the Phillies will also be there at the end. IMO it will be a 3 team race between the Mets, Braves, and Phillies with 2 of them making the playoffs.

then you'll be disappointed. The Braves are going to be better than they were last year after fixing their bullpen and the Phillies will also be there at the end. IMO it will be a 3 team race between the Mets, Braves, and Phillies with 2 of them making the playoffs.

now that seems biased, why wouldn't you have the Marlins in there? they were hot last year, they almost won the wild-card spot they were so hot. and the team is definitely going to be improved as they were all very young last year, Willis had an off year and he will be back on track this season. you can't dismiss this team

now that seems biased, why wouldn't you have the Marlins in there? they were hot last year, they almost won the wild-card spot they were so hot. and the team is definitely going to be improved as they were all very young last year, Willis had an off year and he will be back on track this season. you can't dismiss this team

The general feeling is that every player on the team played hot (and most way over their head) at the same time. To repeat that again this year will be very tough as every team probably has a better scouting report on the players, not to mention the added stress and pressure of playing up to their magical 2006 season. Adding to the fact that the Marlins didn't do anything in the offseason to address their closer or CF problem and their biggest off season move was signing Aaron Boone.

The Marlins have some studs on their team: Miggy Cabrera, Hanley, Olsen, Willis, Johnson and possibly Anibal if he can stay healthy but it's going to be hard to compete with the Mets, Phillies and even Braves this year. Bottom line the Marlins don't have the line up the Mets or Phillies have, don't have the pen the Mets or Braves have and although their starters have a chance to be special you have to expect some regression (as its natural) plus a lot of those pitchers are starting to show effects of pitching so much last year (Anibal and Johnson so far).

I think its going to be
1. Mets
2. Phillies
3. Marlins
4. Braves
5. Nationals

The phillies upgraded their SP and have a pretty solid rotation (Myers, Hamels, Garcia, Moyer, Eaton) to go along with a very good Lineup. I believe their lineup can compete with the Mets this year. I think Victorino and Roward(contract year) will play great.

The Marlins can't afford any injuries to any of their hitters. If Cabrera or Hanley go down for any significant period of time they will be in big trouble.

Back
Top Bottom