***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

I made my feelings on Germaby known this weekend and we can agree or disagree with that but I do think teams that have such dominant teams for so long tend to have hard times integrating new talent and adjusting. Not saying that happened to Germany this year but I do think that happened to past champs like Spain and Italy

I made my feelings on Germaby known this weekend and we can agree or disagree with that but I do think teams that have such dominant teams for so long tend to have hard times integrating new talent and adjusting. Not saying that happened to Germany this year but I do think that happened to past champs like Spain and Italy
Germany integrated the new generation quite well. Last year's confed cup and the qualification is proof of that. If Germany would have lost against Mexico and Sweden then you may have an argument but losing like that against SK has nothing to do with failed integration. That is a coaching issue. Loew was way to relaxed the last few days. In his interviews there was no urgency and even arrogance. A team reflects the coach. He took the SK game like Croatia did their last game (but they were qualified already). You do not ever change half the team which just pulled a monster second half (even with 10 players) when you need a win in your next game.
In soccer the old wisdom is "never change a winning team"

He treated the game like it meant nothing. And his puppy love for Oezil is almost sickening. This team was stronger pre WC than the WC 2014 champions (in spite of Oezil) pre WC 2014.

Germany integrated the new generation quite well. Last year's confed cup and the qualification is proof of that. If Germany would have lost against Mexico and Sweden then you may have an argument but losing like that against SK has nothing to do with failed integration. That is a coaching issue. Loew was way to relaxed the last few days. In his interviews there was no urgency and even arrogance. A team reflects the coach. He took the SK game like Croatia did their last game (but they were qualified already). You do not ever change half the team which just pulled a monster second half (even with 10 players) when you need a win in your next game.
In soccer the old wisdom is "never change a winning team"

He treated the game like it meant nothing. And his puppy love for Oezil is almost sickening. This team was stronger pre WC than the WC 2014 champions (in spite of Oezil) pre WC 2014.

I know he had been treating the other tournaments to look at young guys, but I do have to wonder if on the big stage he relied too much on things from last year. I dunno just thinking out loud. Like I said previously I think there was a lack of leadership at least in 2 and a half of the 3 games but that's just my personal opinion

I think guys like Ozil, Khedira and Mueller are all past their club prime and this showed they were past their national team prime, despite their still young ages.

The Gomez inclusion was a sign by Lowe that he was stuck in his old ways that he had success with but completely failed to accept the new styles of football the young guys were playing with at the Confed Cup. A complete lack of imagination on this team by the guys you expect to have imagination.

Going forward the backline should be fine with Kimmich, Rudiger, Sule and Plattenhardt.

I think Werner and Sane will do fine on the wings.

But they have to figure that middle out and try to develop a true #9.. Draxler, Brandt, Goretska in combination of the young stars waiting in the wings from the U21 side.

Still loads of talent but this was a tough pill to swallow, but maybe a necessary one. They weren’t going far even if they snuck out the win today.

I know he had been treating the other tournaments to look at young guys, but I do have to wonder if on the big stage he relied too much on things from last year. I dunno just thinking out loud. Like I said previously I think there was a lack of leadership at least in 2 and a half of the 3 games but that's just my personal opinion

The veterans all lacked leadership. Mueller is an enigma in the worst ways. Kroos and Ozil aren’t leaders. No Lahms or Schweiny’s on the team.

The team has plenty of quality, but no real guys they can lean on when they need something to happen. Kroos is a world class free kicker and that is about it.

You are correct with the leadership. Those who were the experienced ones have to show the leadership which was not there. But you need veterans. This team was compromised of 6 or so players who were with the WC 2014 squad. All of them (except Gomez) were still under 30. All of the younger players had received enough playing time in the squad. It was a picture perfect scenario of player integration. If there is a lack of leadership than the coach has to step in. Tony Kroos was the only one who said last January "We are not there where many think we are at. We are not there where many of our players think we are at."
The last few months they went through the motion. Mistakes and errors were written off as "we'll be ready".
The leadership from the "veteran" players like Lahm and Schweinsteiger at the last WC was not there. But that has to be fixed from the coaches in down. Loew never showed any urgency.

I think guys like Ozil, Khedira and Mueller are all past their club prime and this showed they were past their national team prime, despite their still young ages.

The Gomez inclusion was a sign by Lowe that he was stuck in his old ways that he had success with but completely failed to accept the new styles of football the young guys were playing with at the Confed Cup. A complete lack of imagination on this team by the guys you expect to have imagination.

Going forward the backline should be fine with Kimmich, Rudiger, Sule and Plattenhardt.

I think Werner and Sane will do fine on the wings.

But they have to figure that middle out and try to develop a true #9.. Draxler, Brandt, Goretska in combination of the young stars waiting in the wings from the U21 side.

Still loads of talent but this was a tough pill to swallow, but maybe a necessary one. They weren’t going far even if they snuck out the win today.
You answered your Gomez issue in that same post. Loew wanted a #9 on the squad. But there was really nobody else. I am mocking Gomez for over a decade now. When I am overseas with family members and there is a game on they make fun of me "ey look, Gomez plays again." He doesn't have the natural instincts of a #9. He needs to many chances to score goals. We talked about Mueller the other day. He had instincts. Then Klaus Fischer, he had instincts. The problem is: I could not tell you of a true #9 in German soccer.
Forget Sane but maybe Loew should have taken Nils Peterson with him. He scored 97 goals since 2015 in club play. He played for Germany in the Olympics and scored 6 goals in 6 games. But for the National team he had one chance, just one game right before they cut the roster.
He was second in scoring last year (behind Lewandowski).

Here is Gomez

and another one...

I mean the fact that he played a Draxler out of place in the first game in favor of the veteran Ozil pretty much debunks that theory and then playing him in a #9 type role against the a Giant Swedes. Draxler was the engine of the Confed Cup team.

IMO, Low relied too much on the complacent veterans instead of maybe putting his hungry young lions in a better spot. How on earth does Brandt not get more time and we go back to Khedira in Ozil today. I mean it was jokes all 3 games with his positioning and game plan.

He had a **** World Cup . . . . One that IMO is not worthy of being overlooked despite his past success.

Wow, Germany used 20 players in 3 games. There are 23 players on each team. Considering that there are 3 goalkeepers he went through all of the players. That is awful. Bad coaching.

Gomez is a running joke all over Germany.

And he should of taken Wagner over Gomez.

Agreed the general rule with strikers is go with the hot hand.. erm foot. Wagner or Petersen would have made sense.

I hope Brazil chokes honestly. Some of my favorite players of all time are Brazillian but I almost feel like they've become parodies of themselves and need a wake up

Back
Top Bottom