***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread*** | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official 2018 FIFA World Cup thread***

I am glad to see Brazil score and win this game. Need them in the Knock out phase.

Couple thoughts:

Brazil needs to play more Douglas Costa. I really liked him at Bayern and he was the MVP today. Willian has been terrible.

Coutinho is full of class. He reminds me of a refined Kaka.

Neymar needs to know he is a marked man. He is gonna have to toughen up and overcome his emotion.

Navas is the only reason This game was in doubt after 90 minutes. Tremendous keeper . . . Would of loved to see them advance but once they lost to Serbia that dream was dead.

That was a great performance by Brazil. Obviously they need to score goals but I think the best is yet to come.
Neymar needs to stop being a baby. 90% of the touches where he went down like someone chopped his legs were normal battles and sometimes no touches at all. That dive trying to get a penalty kick should have been a yellow card against him.

It was a last minute win - deserving but they need to make more of their opportunities.

Neymar needs to stop being a baby. 90% of the touches where he went down like someone chopped his legs were normal battles and sometimes no touches at all. That dive trying to get a penalty kick should have been a yellow card against him.

It was a last minute win - deserving but they need to make more of their opportunities.

I mean no matter how weak it looked it was a penalty . . . .but just not in that game, not the way the head ref was calling it.

He definitely embellished the contact which probably helped in reversing the decision once they went to VAR.

But for sure he better stop expecting calls and playing so weak on the ball. It ain’t working and it is making him look bad.

I mean no matter how weak it looked it was a penalty . . . .but just not in that game, not the way the head ref was calling it.

He definitely embellished the contact which probably helped in reversing the decision once they went to VAR.

But for sure he better stop expecting calls and playing so weak on the ball. It ain’t working and it is making him look bad.
If Germany wins tomorrow we’re probably seeing Brazil against Germany in the round of 16. And Brazil will have extra motivation from that semi final four years ago. Should be interesting.

If Germany wins tomorrow we’re probably seeing Brazil against Germany in the round of 16. And Brazil will have extra motivation from that semi final four years ago. Should be interesting.

Still early for me to put Mexico as group winners. They Jekyll and Hyde too much. Hopefully they stayed away from the Tequila and Coronas after that win. Prime spot for a letdown game.

But if we saw a Brazil/Germany match, it would all come down to midfield play. Who can possess the ball more without turning it over. Both teams are only average in the back and can be had . . .. both teams have aggressive left/right backs that don’t like to play defense. Brazil is better up top, Germany has the better keeper.

But Germany needs to get their heads out of their asses these next two group games. If it means going with the youth and bringing guys like Khedira and Ozil off the bench, then so be it.

Argentina got the exact result they were hoping for. They pretty much control their own destiny outside of Croatia laying down vs. an inferior Iceland team.

I am actually thinking of putting money on Argentina next match. They usually find a way to get it done when they need it the most.

Nigeria did well vs. Iceland but I am uneasy regarding how young they are going up against big bad Messi and friends.

Argentina got the exact result they were hoping for. They pretty much control their own destiny outside of Croatia laying down vs. an inferior Iceland team.

I am actually thinking of putting money on Argentina next match. They usually find a way to get it done when they need it the most.

Nigeria did well vs. Iceland but I am uneasy regarding how young they are going up against big bad Messi and friends.
Seriously? I think it is the worst result Argentina could hope for. If Iceland would have won they'd be battling Croatia for first place and probably got smacked while Argentina would have faced a Nigeria team who would have been devastated. Now they are facing a Nigerian team who is playing at its highest, want to go to the knockout round and have an outside chance at first place. Nigeria did play pretty well against Croatia as well.
I said it before: Argentina is a bad team. Messi is done. He should have stayed retired. His head is not in the game for the National team and the pressure to deliver this year (his last WC) is crushing him. If you rewatch the games he is just a bystander. There is no fight in him, no attempt to carry the team, no attempt to turn the fortune of this team.
The only team who controls its destiny is Nigeria. Argentina still has to win and hope that Iceland doesn't win and beats them out on goal differential.

To early to say. Depends on where everybody ends up in the standings plus Brazil is certainly not through yet. They had a pretty good game today against a bad Costa Rica team but they looked mediocre against a pretty solid Swiss team.

Germany could still win the division but they also could be out tomorrow.

Seriously? I think it is the worst result Argentina could hope for. If Iceland would have won they'd be battling Croatia for first place and probably got smacked while Argentina would have faced a Nigeria team who would have been devastated. Now they are facing a Nigerian team who is playing at its highest, want to go to the knockout round and have an outside chance at first place. Nigeria did play pretty well against Croatia as well.
I said it before: Argentina is a bad team. Messi is done. He should have stayed retired. His head is not in the game for the National team and the pressure to deliver this year (his last WC) is crushing him. If you rewatch the games he is just a bystander. There is no fight in him, no attempt to carry the team, no attempt to turn the fortune of this team.
The only team who controls its destiny is Nigeria. Argentina still has to win and hope that Iceland doesn't win and beats them out on goal differential.

Your scenario requires to many what ifs and hypotheticals tho.

In both scenarios, Argentina need to win.

In this one if they win they only have to worry about goal differential IF Iceland wins. If Iceland draws or loses . . . Argentina is through. Not to mention Croatia still has something to play for with this result, even if small.

If Iceland won, Argentina still needed goal differential to play a factor, in addition to needing Croatia to win.

So say Iceland won . . . .their goal differential would have been ATLEAST +1 . . . .Argentina would of been -3. In the current scenario, Iceland is -2 and Argentina is -3.

A tie would of been rough as Croatia would of wrapped up the group 1st place and Iceland would be 2 points going into a Croatia team playing for nothing.

So yea this was the best result . . . .the only thing that would of been better for Argentina is Nigeria putting up more goals on Iceland

Last edited:
Laser from the Swiss . . . .but lol at the Serbian defender diving instead of taking one for the team.

Your scenario requires to many what ifs and hypotheticals tho.

In both scenarios, Argentina need to win.

In this one if they win they only have to worry about goal differential IF Iceland wins. If Iceland draws or loses . . . Argentina is through. Not to mention Croatia still has something to play for with this result, even if small.

If Iceland won, Argentina still needed goal differential to play a factor, in addition to needing Croatia to win.

So say Iceland won . . . .their goal differential would have been ATLEAST +1 . . . .Argentina would of been -3. In the current scenario, Iceland is -2 and Argentina is -3.

A tie would of been rough as Croatia would of wrapped up the group 1st place and Iceland would be 2 points going into a Croatia team playing for nothing.

So yea this was the best result . . . .the only thing that would of been better for Argentina is Nigeria putting up more goals on Iceland
You are basically saying what I was saying. Right now it is more likely that an "inferior Iceland" steals a win from Croatia (who may or may not rest players especially those with one yellow card already) than Argentina beating Nigeria.
Nigeria just beat an "inferior Iceland" into a pulp which was the same "inferior Iceland" Argentina was lucky to tie. Nigeria looked also much better against Croatia than Argentina did - by far.

I am always so amazed with the US fascination of Argentina. They are really only the England of South America. Always showing up like Champions just to be kicked to the curb. Since there last WC win 32 years ago they had two second place finishes, three QFs, one Round of 16 and one Group Stage exit. Those are almost England stats.
This year they just have a bad team. Despite that I had Croatia and Argentina come out of this group but that was before the tie against Iceland and the loss to Croatia. I expected at least 4 points out of those 2 games.

Anyhow, we'll see how the 'great' Argentinian team will do next week. Right now I see at best a tie against Nigeria.

Even if Argentina somehow makes it out of their group, they will probably play France in the first knockout round. Not a chance they’ll pull an upset.

I mean Argentina has looked like ****. The team we have seen is going nowhere.

But I think they find a way against Nigeria and I do not think Iceland gets 3 points on even a half hearted Croatia team.

But I do believe Iceland could get 1 point on a half hearted Croatia, and had they won today, that would of been enough even if Argentina wins 4-0 over Nigeria.

But you are absolutely right, Nigeria could come out and smack Argentina in the mouth and make this a moot point. But Argentina and Messi have a history of doing just enough to move on if the opportunity presents itself.

Back
Top Bottom