𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

Here's a monster grouper i snagged while fishing for Tarpon with 7 mile bridge in the background.

000%20%20%20Untitled_zps6rfsl3tq.png
That's good eating!

A couple fish sandwiches anyways :)
He just made the keeper list as we were fishing for the big boys and he got my bait.

Hey, nothing big, because i don't fish as much as I'd like, but here's a pic of me with a monster 6" Bass from the pond on the side of my house! LOL!
*Note the Miami Dolphins colors on my boat! :thumbsup

Bass.jpg

Hey, nothing big, because i don't fish as much as I'd like, but here's a pic of me with a monster 6" Bass from the pond on the side of my house! LOL!
*Note the Miami Dolphins colors on my boat! :thumbsup

View attachment 12683

I'd put a hook in his dorsal fin and throw him back out. Big bass love to eat little bass.

Thanks for the invite to this glorious thread FFM.

My only fishing highlight this year is seeing my 12 year old catch his first rainbow trout, 1 month after striking out completely on opening day here in PA.

The kid sat there with a spinner, cast after cast after cast probably not believing it could happen. Then he had one momentarily and lost it. It was cool to see him get that confidence that it could happen. A few cast's later, I had a picture of him holding a nice 13" rainbow trout that I texted to his mom.

Fishing is great, sharing it with other's is even better.

He learned two valuable lessons that day. First being how to land a trout but more importantly when the tape measure says 12 1/8", the mouth should say 13".

I'm yearning to hit the ocean and catch some monster fluke AKA summer flounder.

We typically catch fluke, striper's, sea bass, black fish, blue fish and porgies (scup) this time of year.

I can't wait til the day I'm friends with one of you Florida guys so I can schooled in some of these Caribbean fish.

I have family in Tarpon Springs (what east coast Greek doesn't?) and I've had some nice days on the gulf catching snapper and grouper. I long for my mom's fish soup, with grouper. To die for.

It's a 100 degree's today and I'm stuck in an office. Pitty.

For the sake of accuracy, my first of back to back posts should've read my 12 year old NEPHEW. By the time I noticed the omission of the very relevant fact to my story, it was too late to edit.

My son is almost a year and a half old. I can not wait to have that first fish moment with him. I have little doubt he's going to love fishing, and the Miami Dolphins, the same if not more than I do.

And since I have the opportunity to bring it up. Is Redfish fishing as much fun as it looks? That's at the top of my bucket list right now for fish to catch/eat along with the Snook.

I love the open ocean and deep sea fishing from a boat as much as anyone. The thrill of not knowing what you might reel until you see that deep color.

That said, as a seasoned trout fisherman as well, I love the idea of casting from land into saltwater inlets, rivers and back bays. Seems like the Red and Snook are the ultimate in-shore prize down in Fl. Up north that would probably be the Striped Bass for me.

I can't believe my brother moved to Florida almost a year ago and hasn't caught either.

Last edited:
That said, as a seasoned trout fisherman as well, I love the idea of casting from land into saltwater inlets, rivers and back bays. Seems like the Red and Snook are the ultimate in-shore prize down in Fl. Up north that would probably be the Striped Bass for me.
I assume you mean rainbow trout as opposed to seatrout? I'm far from an expert when it comes to Florida fishing, but all I can say is that casting from land for inshore fish has been nowhere near as productive for me as casting from a boat. It's just a matter of access to the good locations, and a boat gives you far easier access than by foot. Of course that's basically true of all fishing, isn't it? (Even rainbow trout/seatrout fishing. ;))

Ghost I've caught several snook up to 6 lbs night fishing under a bridge at the Haulover inlet. They line up in the shallows there and wait for the bait when the tide changes. Good eating. Not lots of red fish in S. Florida but I've caught them in Louisiana on vacation. They are more plentiful on the West coast of FLa. Tampa / St Pete area in the Gulf.

GasPed planning any more keys trips ? That was a nice pompano you hauled in last trip.

Gasped, ya definitely meant freshwater trout, (Browns and Rainbows). I always prefer to be out in the ocean but part of what makes fishing so fun is the variety of ways it can be done. I've never really had the urge to fly fish but I bet if I were in Montana or in New Zealand fishing some of their amazing streams and waterfalls I'd be down to try. I've never caught a sea trout.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's what makes fishing awesome.

Many people up here (Eastern Pa/Jersey Shore) think the sea robin is a trash fish.

hqdefault.jpg

This is a cool fish. Armor plated head, spiney wings and fins. They make a loud croaking/belching sound. Cleaning these fish takes skill.....and sharp scissors.

Excellent soup fish, clean white meat with little bones. Most "American" angler's throw these puppies back into the water and I cringe. I say "American's" as a proud Greek-American, no slight. Just that Greek's don't throw anything back (of legal size). I get that they are a hand full to clean and your usually bleeding from multiple spots regardless of how careful you are. So tasty though and an excellent fight, pound for pound. They spread their wings and create so much resistance you think it's a much bigger fish.

No one goes sea robin fishing, you just catch them when fishing for Fluke or Blue Fish. Blue fish are a blast to catch but so oily I never seek them out. Size/power/availability make them a great fish for new angler's though.

GasPed planning any more keys trips ? That was a nice pompano you hauled in last trip.
Permit, man. That was a permit! (Funny, we have a video of me releasing it, and my wife says "Goodbye, Mr. Pompano" and immediately all of us boys say "Permit, Mom! That was a permit!") Tbh, it could've been a pompano but at 25 inches and close to 10 lbs, it would've been a massive one.

Aug. 17 is our Marathon trip this year. Praying for good weather and tight lines. :finger:finger

:(
Gasped, ya definitely meant freshwater trout, (Browns and Rainbows). I always prefer to be out in the ocean but part of what makes fishing so fun is the variety of ways it can be done. I've never really had the urge to fly fish but I bet if I were in Montana or in New Zealand fishing some of their amazing streams and waterfalls I'd be down to try. I've never caught a sea trout.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's what makes fishing awesome.

Many people up here (Eastern Pa/Jersey Shore) think the sea robin is a trash fish.

hqdefault.jpg

This is a cool fish. Armor plated head, spiney wings and fins. They make a loud croaking/belching sound. Cleaning these fish takes skill.....and sharp scissors.

Excellent soup fish, clean white meat with little bones. Most "American" angler's throw these puppies back into the water and I cringe. I say "American's" as a proud Greek-American, no slight. Just that Greek's don't throw anything back (of legal size). I get that they are a hand full to clean and your usually bleeding from multiple spots regardless of how careful you are. So tasty though and an excellent fight, pound for pound. They spread their wings and create so much resistance you think it's a much bigger fish.

No one goes sea robin fishing, you just catch them when fishing for Fluke or Blue Fish. Blue fish are a blast to catch but so oily I never seek them out. Size/power/availability make them a great fish for new angler's though.
That is a very cool fish. Totally reminds me of the so called "trash fish" (rockfish, greenling, etc.) that we catch on the Pacific coast when jigging for cod or snapper - anyone who has tried them knows they are the farthest thing from "trash".

I grew up flyfishing for rainbows in the lakes and streams of BC, and I suppose that's where my heart still is. But Florida is such an amazing sportfishing destination - the variety of fish, techniques and habitats all within a 10 mile radius is just astounding. When you couple that with the fact that even people who have no clue (e.g. our family) can catch them - well, it truly is an angler's paradise. Now, if only it wasn't so far away...:(

Back
Top Bottom