𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

8887c6a8ed0d5acabbc78b805d843aaf.jpg

Slob bull red my son and his friend helped me wrestle today.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This was my wife's first attempt at crabbing on Jekyll Island, GA. Tide was going out and she put the trap in for about 15 minutes.

[video=youtube;Jv2Gx0URY5k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Jv2Gx0URY5kIs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

IMG_4635.jpg

Late post from thanksgiving week down in the Sarasota area with family. Was able to stock the freezer and supply grandparents and neighbors with some fish

OK ... So the excuse for me drinking today immediately after work is this:

Today during 10th period at school was Fishing 101 w/ "Mr Bumpus" ... Today's group was six 7th graders. We're fishing on Wheeling Creek right behind the school.

Primary target species this time of year are bass (largemouth, smallmouth, and white) and trout (rainbow, brook, brown, and golden)

So, we get down to the water. Three minutes later I hear, "Mr. 'Bumpus' I'm stuck in the tree" ... Meh, it happens. :idk:

20 seconds later, same damn comment from 10 yards to my right. :bobdole:

I **** you not, 5 seconds after that the kid 6 feet to his right did the same thing. :bobdole:

My response: "Boys, you've gotta pay attention to where you're casting."

Didn't even finish the sentence before the kid 5 feet to my left uncorks my rooster tail straight into the same tree that I'm trying to get the 1st lure out of. :bobdole:

Ever take six novice kids fishing at once?

Don't. :lol:

Just discovered this thread existed. That's the thing about Finheaven: You can be here for years and still be finding new threads and parts of the site.:up:

Just got really into fishing last year. Went on a rampage in NJ and NY state catching Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass. On my bucket list is going on a Mako Shark fishing expedition. If anyone has gone shark fishing, I'd love to hear your stories.

I've gone shark fishing many times but none of them were on purpose :lol:

11111    bestdayever.jpg

Shark got this fish's tail as my friend was reeling him in. Any time you are catching lots of fish the sharks show up to get their cut of the action.
The average shark is boring to catch just a big tug however the makos which get airborne are a blast. I've fought a couple over the years but they are kind of rare in S. Florida and I've never landed one.

I actually prefer battling a big tarpon on light tackle. I know where they hang out , when to fish for them ( very seasonal) and how to land them . Catching a mako is just dumb luck for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone shark fishing many times but none of them were on purpose :lol:

View attachment 18882

Shark got this fish's tail as my friend was reeling him in. Any time you are catching lots of fish the sharks show up to get their cut of the action.
The average shark is boring to catch just a big tug however the makos which get airborne are a blast. I've fought a couple over the years but they are kind of rare in S. Florida and I've never landed one.

[video=youtube;HjlmIREzkm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjlmIREzkm0[/video]

I actually prefer battling a big tarpon on light tackle. I know where they hang out , when to fish for them ( very seasonal) and how to land them . Catching a mako is just dumb luck for the most part.

Tarpon are most definately on my bucket list. I might just have to plan a trip down someday & let you school me on them!

When is the tarpon bite hot?

You know I live in GA now Bump but in S.Fla the best part of the season just ended. Usual starting in late March through May they school up under the bridges at night and can be had even without a boat. A live mullet or even a large pilchard will do the trick when you drag it through the shadow of the bridge where they lie it wait for the bait fish to come through on any tide change.
Down in the Keys where there are many bridges to choose from it's a blast and if you are in a boat you just anchor where you can cast under the bridge or put one on a balloon or float with about 6 ft of leader and drift it in the current.

[video=youtube;s0Z_IEe44qk]

This is between the old and new 7 Mile bridge just past Marathon. Caught a few nice one's here from my buddy's boat..

I caught this one I posted before drifting a large live shrimp on a white jig in the fast current of Government Cut where the cruise ships sail from.

Picture.jpg

By the time I landed him on 20 lb test the current had taken us at least half a mile off shore :)

This video shows almost the exact spot we were fishing that day.

Of course my fish was much bigger :brewskis:

Last edited:
You know I live in GA now Bump but in S.Fla the best part of the season just ended. Usual starting in late March through May they school up under the bridges at night and can be have even without a boat. A live mullet or even a large pilchard will do the trick when you drag it through the shadow of the bridge where they lie it wait for the bait fish to come through on any tide change.
Down in the Keys where there are many bridges to choose from it's a blast and if you are in a boat you just anchor where you can cast under the bridge or put one on a balloon or float with about 6 ft of leader and drift it in the current.

[video=youtube;s0Z_IEe44qk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Z_IEe44qk[/video]

This is between the old and new 7 Mile bridge just past Marathon. Caught a few nice one's here from my buddy's boat..

I caught this one I posted before drifting a large live shrimp on a white jig in the fast current of Government Cut where the cruise ships sail from.

Picture.jpg

By the time I landed him on 20 lb test the current had taken us at least half a mile off shore :)

This video shows almost the exact spot we were fishing that day.

[video=youtube;SpJkqDXE3P8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJkqDXE3P8[/video]

Of course my fish was much bigger :brewskis:

Very cool and interesting info about the shark fishing! These mako shark expeditions are quite expensive (like $1K) so knowing it is dumb luck as opposed to a special skill is helpful if I have to decide between companies one day.

Where in GA are you? My entire family mass migrated to Cobb Country 20 years ago after the Olympics in Atlanta. -Well, my entire family except for me and my parents.

I'm in Macon GA about 1 hour south of Atlanta. Nearest ocean is 2 1/2 hours away which suks. Lots of bass in the local ponds but nothing beats saltwater fishing.

Very cool and interesting info about the shark fishing! These mako shark expeditions are quite expensive (like $1K) so knowing it is dumb luck as opposed to a special skill is helpful if I have to decide between companies one day.

They may know certain areas where makos like to be but no way they can guarantee you'll hook one. They are loners that don't swim in groups and finding one is iffy at best however the odds are probably better up where you live than in S.Florida.

Back
Top Bottom