𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

Way back when I was 8, I was trying to cast a rapala. It wasn't going too far, so I got the bright idea of using more slack to gain distance.

That was the day I learned there is in fact "too much slack" possible. With approx. 10 feet of slack from the end of the rod to your lure, it IS possible to whip the hooks of that sucker straight through your earlobe.

8-year-old Bump panicked. Would not let dad near my ear. (He wanted to push it far enough through to clip the barb off) I made him take me to the hospital. Sitting in the ER waiting room was also the day I learned about how annoying the general public is. Picture a little boy with a rapala dangling from his right earlobe like some kinda f'ed up earring. I can't count the number of people who looked at my ear and said, "What happened?"

Doc took one look, pushed the hook through, clipped the barb off so the shank fell free, gave me a tetanus shot and sent me on my way. Dad laughed the whole way home.

You have to be careful with hooks. :lol:
When I was about 11 or 12, I got a top water Rapala hung up in some weeds. Rather than just wading out and getting it, I whipped my bait caster about 200 times until the plug broke loose and shot back at me at about mach 2. Needless to say, all three treble hooks embedded in my right forearm. My dad didn't give me a choice, he pushed each one through and cut the barbs. I ended up with a bloody arm and a useless plug but did get a cool story for school. Moral of the story, brute force and ignorance has its place but generally increases the risk factor exponentially. It does make me feel a bit better to know that I'm not the only one whose butt has been kicked by a Rapala.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When I was about 11 or 12, I got a top water Rapala hung up in some weeds. Rather than just wading out and getting it, I whipped my bait caster about 200 times until the plug broke loose and shot back at me at about mach 2. Needless to say, all three treble hooks embedded in my right forearm. My dad didn't give me a choice, he pushed each one through and cut the barbs. I ended up with a bloody arm and a useless plug but did get a cool story for school. Moral of the story, brute force and ignorance has its place but generally increases the risk factor exponentially. It does make me feel a bit better to know that I'm not the only one whose butt has been kicked by a Rapala.

How it really went down :hump:

0%20%20%20%20%20%20aaa172lv7_zpsuhyp6pte.gif

Almost got eaten by an alligator once but I've never been taken down by a Rapala :)

(knock on wood)

Last edited by a moderator:

Almost got eaten by an alligator once but I've never been taken down by a Rapala :)

(knock on wood)
That's pretty much it except I had no one to blame but me. Dumb dumb extraordinaire!

(knock on wood)
Have to say that I have been hooked quite a few times, most often while flyfishing. Two or more guys in a boat flailing the buggy whips around, especially when it's windy, is just asking for it. I remember my dad once stuck me right between the eyes, which was actually very fortunate, because one inch either way would've been much much worse. He was the worst - my brothers and I would literally pull on sunglasses, baseball caps and hoodies when fishing with him just for protection, and hunker down in the boat when he was casting. Miss those days. :)

I got myself with a sabiki hook while unloading the pole out of the front hatch of my kayak in the back of my truck with a camper, I just didn't want to pull my kayak out after just loading it, laziness is going to be the fall of me someday. When I was pulling my rod out I had to flex the tip to fully get it out of the front hatch as soon as the pole cleared it snapped back into place and set the hook on my finger. I consider myself lucky I've been fishing for 20 years and that was the only one. I hope it heals up fast and you get back on the water fast brother

I know it's not like the fishing in Florida but here's a decent ling from a couple weeks back, decent for CA at least lol going out to troll for halibut Saturday
image.jpg

I know it's not like the fishing in Florida but here's a decent ling from a couple weeks back, decent for CA at least lol going out to troll for halibut Saturday
View attachment 16886
I've never trolled for halibut, only bottom fished. What type of bait do they hit and how deep do you have to go? Btw, welcome aboard!

Ive heard mackral is the best. I've personally never caught a halibut but I would love to hook onto one, guys I've talk to on the local forum say live maks work best, use a Carolina rig and no weight no trolling required in no more than 40 ft most butt like to hang out close to shore. If you have frozen maks use a Carolina rig with a sliding treble hook to hook onto the tail of the Mak and use a slinging weight at the top no more than oz start from shore and drag in sort of a zig zag formation trying to keep the bait about 4 ft from the bottom in prime location for a halibut dragging it on the bottom your more likely to pull up a ray again this is all what I've heard and haven't hooked into one yet

[video=youtube;B-Zy4J5OL4Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Zy4J5OL4Y[/video]

Go to 4:00 mark for the fish being caught.

Those suckers get huge. 200 + LBs not uncommon.

I spun up this rod specifically for catching one of those tasty flat fish, this little ling decided he wanted to be the first to test the acid wrap
image.jpeg

They really do!
That's a nice butt Csonka pulled up!
I keep telling myself my next trip will be Alaska but I'm not sure I can pass up an opportunity to watch the Phins play at the coliseum this year who knows maybe I'll get a big bonus and get to do both οΏ½οΏ½

Last edited by a moderator:
They really do!
I keep telling myself my next trip will be Alaska but I'm not sure I can pass up an opportunity to watch the Phins play at the coliseum this year who knows maybe I'll get a big bonus and get to do both
I was stationed at Fort Richardson in Anchorage but caught the halibut off of Seward. They have a military recreation area there with boats. Outstanding fishing there, you need to go if you can!

I visited Seward as a kid and saw two huge fish hanging at a dock there that dad told me were halibut but did not know you could catch them off the Cali coast

Back
Top Bottom