𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

It appears that you are correct, my bad. I never realized that reds got so, well, red. I always caught them before they turned and figured the red described the meat. I know I'm different but I always preferred silvers. Kings and reds are both fantastic but my favorite is the silvers, given that all are freshly caught.
We actually have five kinds of salmon on the coast of BC - everyone has their own preferences:

The two that sport fisherman mainly target are:
Kings (Chinook) - (100 pounds max, 15-25 avg). The biggest salmon and arguably the best fighters. They don't jump much but they have great power and stamina (kind of like a bull redfish, but faster). They are a great eating fish.
Silvers (Coho) - (30 pounds max, 5-15 avg). They jump and run and are great on light tackle, but they don't have lots of stamina (kind of like a ladyfish but not as acrobatic). I think they're the third best eating salmon because they have the strongest taste, but others like it a lot. Deep orange-red colored meat.

The other three are:
Reds (Sockeye) - (20 pounds max, 5-15 avg). They taste great because their diet is mainly shrimp.
Chums - (30 pounds max, 10-20 avg). There are two reasons they're called "dog salmon" - one is their pronounced teeth, the other is that's who you feed them to. (However, they fight like bulldogs too.)
Pinks - (10 pounds max, 3 - 5 avg). They don't taste very good and they don't fight very good either. But they're still a salmon. ;)

All salmon are a brilliant silver color in the ocean, and change dramatically when they hit freshwater to spawn. I could go on, but you get the picture - I've caught them all and love them all. :) Cheers.

I love Alberta and the western part of BC, absolutely gorgeous. I've never been to the BC coast but it's on my bucket list.
Since I grew up in BC, and have lived in Alberta for the past 30 years, I think I take for granted just how beautiful the place is. Funny how people come from all over the world to visit your backyard, posing and taking pictures, and yet we drive by it every day without even a glance. Sad but human nature, I guess. :idk:

What do you guys use for bait ? I've never fished for salmon so i'm curious. What other fish can you catch up there ?

Any good fishing stories ? How about some pictures ?

from Fin's weekend fishing event

hootersfish_zpsyfki32nf.jpg

I saw that on yahoo Thump. One hell of a striper.

We don't have those in Miami. What do they fish for in Wyoming ?

We have a little bit of everything here. Lake Trout, Walleye, Bass, Cat Fish, Pike and Tiger Muskies to name a few. I haven't had much time for fishing this year yet but my vacation time is closing in. Plan to spend a day or two fishing with my dad. He has been having good luck this year with the catfish so far. Should I catch anything I will have to post some pictures.

Excellent. Look forward to it.:brewskis:

i'm planning a Savannah trip that may including fishing. I'll post a picture or two if i have any luck.
All the one's i've put up are from Miami.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture.jpg

Only used the gaff to hold him up. Tarpon was released and swam away no worst for the battle.

Excellent brother. Say hi to J.J. for me if you see him :up:

Added a couple of wahoo to 85 mahi and hundreds of snapper, and 20 tunas for the week.. Believe it or not the mahi bite was slow off the full moon and we lost 3 big dolphin and 2 big wahoos that would have made the catch even better.
image.jpg

We found a floating log loaded with triple tail and surprisingly only a couple mahi, and lost 2 big wahoos on it
Well it won't let me upload anymore
Pics unfortunately

Those triple tails fry up nicely :up:

Great pictures slk. Glad you're having a good time and catching plenty of fish :brewskis:

Last edited by a moderator:
back to real life...we ended up with 80 mahi, 130 snappers, 25 tuna and 20 triple tail and some other various species.
we also came across some Cuban migrants on a small raft 15 miles offshore...ill try to upload a pic

Back
Top Bottom