𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝 | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

𓆝𓆝𓆝 Official Fishing Thread 𓆝𓆝𓆝

My mistake GasPed

Permit

images

Pompano

AFP-2.jpg

Ok, got back from Marathon after a week of sweating and running from thunderstorms. It was an eventful week - unfortunately many of the events were bad (e.g. flight issues delayed our arrival by a day, lost another day because the rental boat blew an engine, lost another day due to bad weather).

But, the lobstering was fine (we had a lobster feast every day we made it out on the water), the bonito fishing was great (I've never seen them busting bait on the surface like they were on a couple days. just spectacular) and the reef fishing was sufficient to give us a few keepers every evening (interestingly we never caught a keeper mangrove snapper, only yellowtail and yellow jacks - both of which taste fantastic).

And oh yeah, on the last evening, caught this fella:
IMG_1333 best small.jpg

This guy was just a monster - he was 30+ inches long and I'm guessing close to 25 pounds. It was the last evening though, and there was no way we'd ever finish eating him so we put him back. What I didn't know is that the world record mutton snapper is actually 30 pounds. Maybe I should've kept him just to see... ;)

Anyhow, If you want to take a shot at him, Delta shoal off Marathon near Sombrero reef, 10 feet of water - I'm sure he's still there. ;) And thank you again Florida, for a great vacation! :up:

Nice fish brother :cheers:
Thanks man! :cheers: I'm not going to take a lot of credit for it though. Like I said, I just love Florida because it rewards even the semi-skilled with good fish. We're sitting on this patch reef, pitching shrimp and catching little ones with the occasional keeper. I get this dumb(?) idea to cut a strip off one of our bonito and let it sit on the bottom. Which I did, and it promptly got snagged so I put it in a rod holder and just ignored it.

20 minutes later, my son says "Hey are you watching that line Dad?". I said, "Yeah it's just snagged". He said "I don't think so", so I went over to reel it up and whoa - the reel started smoking. Like, where else in the world can you take a dumb idea, mess it up even further by snagging the line, ignore it for 20 minutes, and it turns into a monster fish? :wink

Thanks man! :cheers: I'm not going to take a lot of credit for it though. Like I said, I just love Florida because it rewards even the semi-skilled with good fish. We're sitting on this patch reef, pitching shrimp and catching little ones with the occasional keeper. I get this dumb(?) idea to cut a strip off one of our bonito and let it sit on the bottom. Which I did, and it promptly got snagged so I put it in a rod holder and just ignored it.

20 minutes later, my son says "Hey are you watching that line Dad?". I said, "Yeah it's just snagged". He said "I don't think so", so I went over to reel it up and whoa - the reel started smoking. Like, where else in the world can you take a dumb idea, mess it up even further by snagging the line, ignore it for 20 minutes, and it turns into a monster fish? :wink

Cut bonita is Primo bait for snappers and much more...Not such a dumb idea! Nice Mutton

They are killing the Kingfish action down in the Keys this year. The experts say for some reason these fish have migrated from the Texas and LA area to show up in the keys in huge numbers. Maybe the water temps are rising or what ever but it's great for S.Fla and the keys.
I've caught lots of these smokers off Miami Beach up to about 40 pounds when I fished there.
Here's one caught 20 miles south of Key West

IMG_6621.jpg

Oh yea

Biggest King I have ever seen

They are killing the Kingfish action down in the Keys this year. The experts say for some reason these fish have migrated from the Texas and LA area to show up in the keys in huge numbers. Maybe the water temps are rising or what ever but it's great for S.Fla and the keys.
I've caught lots of these smokers off Miami Beach up to about 40 pounds when I fished there.
Here's one caught 20 miles south of Key West

IMG_6621.jpg

Oh yea

Biggest King I have ever seen

That is a monster kingfish!

We came down to Tarpon Springs yesterday for a week to visit the family.

Plan on doing some night fishing with my brother tonight.

Any recommendations for good shore spots in Pasco or Pinellas counties? My brother moved down here about a year and a half ago but he’s spent way tooooo much working.

Hoping to hook my first snook and redfish.

We had a member who fished that area but haven't seen him in a while. Good luck getting your snook or red :up:

In Miami I caught snook in the shadow under a bridge most on a tide change.

The Big Catch on Netflix is very good. Several fishermen travel the world fishing for the title. The episode in Canada is great where they are catching up to 7 foot long sturgeon

d05095c3a60cab5c608161be3b0a7e176e979c94.jpg

It's like survivor and they eliminate fishermen after each episode

The Big Catch on Netflix is very good. Several fishermen travel the world fishing for the title. The episode in Canada is great where they are catching up to 7 foot long sturgeon

d05095c3a60cab5c608161be3b0a7e176e979c94.jpg

It's like survivor and they eliminate fishermen after each episode

I always enjoyed Wicked Tuna. I'll take a look at this, sounds very interesting.

We came down to Tarpon Springs yesterday for a week to visit the family.

Plan on doing some night fishing with my brother tonight.

Any recommendations for good shore spots in Pasco or Pinellas counties? My brother moved down here about a year and a half ago but he’s spent way tooooo much working.

Hoping to hook my first snook and redfish.
Hope you caught something! I honestly don't know much about the wade fishing in that area, but if you can get a boat to the sandbar (just north of Anclote Key) and fish on the east side of it, you will catch fish (trout, the occasional snook, spanish macks too). The cut between the sandbar and Anclote can be good for mackerel (baby Kings and Spanish) too. Also the east side of Anclote holds reds but you have to be quiet and fish shallow. Sorry for the late recommendations!

So a few years ago I had the pleasure of going on a private charter out of Montauk, NY with the shark hunting legend Frank Mundus. Frank pioneered shark fishing back in the 60's. One of his clients was Peter Benchley, the author of JAWS. Peter drew much of his inspiration for Jaws by going out on several charters with Frank. This is how he researched his book before he wrote it. The grouchy and egotistical character "Quint", the ship's captain in Jaws, was modeled after Frank. The Great White shark (pictured below) was the largest ever caught on rod and reel. It was later disqualified when they discovered the shark was caught while feeding on a dead whale carcass and they had been using whale meat as bait. Still doesn't diminish the fact it was landed with a rod and reel. Anyway, look him up, pretty interesting character, he died a few years back. He had numerous appearances on the Discovery channel with his own story being told. We didn't catch anything that day but the stories he told more than made up for it. He was retired living in Hawaii when he returned to Montauk for the 20th anniversary of catching the shark. He had a very limited number of charters he went out on to celebrate the event and me and a few friends were lucky enough to go out on one.
FMUNDUS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom