Official Florida Gators Thread | Page 116 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Florida Gators Thread

Major Wright is not a FS period. He struggles v.s. the pass. He did a very good job last considering tho. He will take over for Tony Joiner right away. Will Hill will probably be starting by mid season

Major Wright is not a FS period. He struggles v.s. the pass. He did a very good job last considering tho. He will take over for Tony Joiner right away. Will Hill will probably be starting by mid season

Interesting.......I remember suggesting the move to SS during the season and was told he couldn't be a SS.

:unsure:;)

Beat me to it. Sounds like we have a stud on our hands. I know who my favorite freshman is already.

Wonder what this means for Major Wright? Move to SS?

:hi5: I have to get up early to beat you! :wink: (or cheat and post it last night) hehe.

Wright needs to be SS. Period. He just was not good enough on passes. He is a much more NATURAL SS. Besides, now we have Eraser II!

Interesting.......I remember suggesting the move to SS during the season and was told he couldn't be a SS.

:unsure:;)

LOL, really? IMO he looks like a classic SS. BIG hitter and solid tackler and only so so in pass coverage.

LOL, really? IMO he looks like a classic SS. BIG hitter and solid tackler and only so so in pass coverage.

Couldn't agree more, he's a bigger hitter than Joiner and has great instincts. Perfect for the SS spot.

Couldn't agree more, he's a bigger hitter than Joiner and has great instincts. Perfect for the SS spot.

My only concern with Wright as SS is his lack of size. He is a big hitter, but those things are a lot easier as a FS. FS are frequently big hitters partly because of the opportunity the position allows. You get plenty of time to line up your shot, and take advantage of the surrounding "landscape".

SS is quite different. He'll be playing closer to the LoS, and will have to be more of a sure, technique tackler. He'll also have to deal with blockers other than WR's. That will be a big challenge for him. BTW, I have my doubts about his listed weight, and height. Looks a lot smaller to me.

We shall see.

My only concern with Wright as SS is his lack of size. He is a big hitter, but those things are a lot easier as a FS. FS are frequently big hitters partly because of the opportunity the position allows. You get plenty of time to line up your shot, and take advantage of the surrounding "landscape".

SS is quite different. He'll be playing closer to the LoS, and will have to be more of a sure, technique tackler. He'll also have to deal with blockers other than WR's. That will be a big challenge for him. BTW, I have my doubts about his listed weight, and height. Looks a lot smaller to me.

We shall see.

I'm not so sure there is a better form tackler on the team. I mean I know he's tried to just lower his shoulder on a few big hits but he's also shown he definitely know how to wrap up. I can understand the size concern though.

Ok, I can see the size as being a little question. However, hopefully he has bulked up a little this off-season. He was only a Freshman last year, so there is always room for growth!?

I'm not so sure there is a better form tackler on the team. I mean I know he's tried to just lower his shoulder on a few big hits but he's also shown he definitely know how to wrap up. I can understand the size concern though.

I'm not talking about form tackling, and looking back, I didn't word that very well. One of the things I saw with Wright, especially towards the end of the year, was waiting and sort of "catching" the ball carrier. He got put on his rear end several times because of this. I love his aggressiveness, but it's much more limited when facing a RB. He goes balls to the wall against WR's, but it was the RB's that made him hesitant.

I think it all comes down to size. I love watching him play, but I feel like I'm looking at Brandon James' slightly bigger brother. At SS, he's going to have to deal with TE's, and some linemen (especially if we don't do better with the front 7 next year).

He will be much better against the pass as a SS, I just worry about him getting swept out to sea against the run.

Ok, I can see the size as being a little question. However, hopefully he has bulked up a little this off-season. He was only a Freshman last year, so there is always room for growth!?

Absolutely!
I just have my reservations about assuming anything after last year. He certainly can carry more weight. ESPN has him listed as 6-1 204.
I don't buy that for a second.
Reggie Nelson is currently listed as 5-11 198.

I'm not talking about form tackling, and looking back, I didn't word that very well. One of the things I saw with Wright, especially towards the end of the year, was waiting and sort of "catching" the ball carrier. He got put on his rear end several times because of this. I love his aggressiveness, but it's much more limited when facing a RB. He goes balls to the wall against WR's, but it was the RB's that made him hesitant.

I think it all comes down to size. I love watching him play, but I feel like I'm looking at Brandon James' slightly bigger brother. At SS, he's going to have to deal with TE's, and some linemen (especially if we don't do better with the front 7 next year).

He will be much better against the pass as a SS, I just worry about him getting swept out to sea against the run.

Fair enough, I think he may surprise you this season though. :D

You weren't the one I was thinking of that disagreed with me earlier in the season BTW.

Congrats on 10K posts! :woot:

Fair enough, I think he may surprise you this season though. :D

You weren't the one I was thinking of that disagreed with me earlier in the season BTW.

Congrats on 10K posts! :woot:

:woohoo: I'm officially useless.

I didn't think you were talking about me. I was voicing my concerns :wink:

GREAT article about Will Hill...

Eraser II on his way to Gainesville

BTW, I SHOULD have commented on this article.
Thanks for posting it :up:

He sounds exactly like what we need. If he can really patrol the secondary as reported, it changes everything. THAT was Nelson's impact, far more than the impact of his hits (yes, the pun was intended :D ).
This makes me very excited. I believe our Wondy, Anderson, and Haden will makes significant strides in their growth as players next season. I expected more from Anderson this year, but he never seemed right after the injury. Wondy improved a lot as the season progressed, and I can't even express how impressed I am with Joe Haden's potential. He will leave Gainesville as a stud CB prospect.
If Will Hill lives up to the hype, well then the front seven better pick up their game.

Back
Top Bottom