Official Florida Gators Thread | Page 118 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Florida Gators Thread

Yeah Charlie Strong deserves to be a HC. hasn't he actually turned some jobs down? I think he has but I am not totally sure on that.

Yeah he had a great defense in South Carolina and the year we won a national title. he comes up with a lot of ways to put pressure on the qb. intrested to see out d this year

I'm really interested to see who Holiday's replacement is. If we can get a top notch Safety coach to go along with the talent of Will Hill and Major Wright we could be in for a treat.

I dont remember if It was Rivals.com or Scout.com but according to one of them we have a top 10 dra...I mean recruitment class.

The baby Gators baskeball team is not doing so good right now. They are falling apart.

Next year both our basketball and football teams will be in the hunt for the National Championships. It's going to be a rough year for all you "Gator Haters"

Their are no seniors on our basketball team, it is almost freshman again. We have only one Jr and two sophomores on the squad. Everyone is coming back next year.

And our football team just loaded up again.

http://www.gatorsports.com/art...6/1090/gators01

The Florida Gators will have only a handful of seniors again this season, which, again, does not please the head football coach.
Continue to 2nd paragraph
But what does please Urban Meyer is the fact the Gators have accumulated a talent pool (in terms of skill and numbers) that has UF close to where Meyer envisioned the program being when he took over three years ago.
For the first time under Meyer, the Gators are close to having 85 scholarship players (UF will be at 84 when the true freshmen arrive this summer) and the shortage of players at certain positions has been eliminated through three successive recruiting classes ranked in the top five nationally.
"Just look at pure numbers, position by position, it's as close as I've been and I've been a head coach seven years now," Meyer said. "It's as close as I've been as being right on as far as numbers."
When Meyer breaks down his roster, he has specific numbers in mind. He said those numbers at each position are now very close to where he wants them to be.
"I have a personal board that I work off of," he said. "For example, you want 16 offensive linemen. We currently have 15. Defensive tackle, you want seven. I believe we have seven.
"Defensive ends, you want eight. We have eight. Safeties, you want six. We have nine, so we're a little heavy there. We have 12 scholarship receivers now and to run our style of (offense) that's what we need. And for the first time I can remember, you have three returning quarterbacks that you're going to war with.
"We've gone from just recruiting, take whatever you can get, to now we're trying to fit those pieces together."
With so few seniors, the Gators will still be relatively young again this season. Instead of a freshman/sophomore dominated team, this one will be more of a sophomore/junior team.
Now that Meyer has adequate numbers at almost every position, he faces a different potential problem now. Finding playing time for all these young players.
"Whenever you have players stockpiled at a position, you're going to have some unhappy athletes," he said. "I've already met with the staff about that. You're going to deal with some five-star, four-star guys that played in all-star games and everybody is saying how great everybody is and all of a sudden you wake up and you're third string on the depth chart and you're a sophomore."

With 22 new players coming on board, here's a position-by-position breakdown of Florida's scholarship roster heading into the 2008 football season:
QUARTERBACK
Tim Tebow, Jr.
Cameron Newton, So.
John Brantley, RFr.
Analysis: For the first time under Meyer, the Gators have three scholarship quarterbacks who are ready to play. And there is a nice separation between them. Tebow is a junior, Newton a sophomore and Brantley a redshirt freshman. This position is in the best shape it's been in for several years.
TAILBACK
Kestahn Moore, Sr.
Brandon James, Jr.
Emmanuel Moody, So.
Mon Williams, So.
Chris Rainey, RFr.
Jeff Demps, Fr.
Analysis: UF's ongoing search for a feature back will be one of the popular storylines in the spring. Moore has lots of experience, but not a lot of productive performances on his resume. Moody, the transfer from Southern Cal, and Williams, returning from knee surgery, are expected to bring more playmaking ability to the position.
FULLBACK
Steven Wilks, RFr.
T.J. Pridemore, Fr.
Analysis: Meyer never really utilized a fullback in his offense at Utah, but it's become an important position in Florida's spread offense. For the second year in a row, the Gators are looking for a new designated blocker at the position. Wilks is a former safety who loves to hit. Pridemore is expected to challenge Wilks when he arrives this summer. With two scholarship fullbacks, the Gators are right where they want to be at the position.
WIDE RECEIVER
Percy Harvin, Jr.
Carl Moore, Jr.
Deonte Thompson, RFr.
Justin Williams, So.
Frankie Hammond, Fr.
WIDE RECEIVER
Louis Murphy, Sr.
Riley Cooper, Jr.
David Nelson, Jr.
Paul Wilson, RFr.
Omarius Hines, Fr.
T.J. Lawrence, Fr.
TIGHT END
Cornelius Ingram, Sr.
Aaron Hernandez, So.
Tate Casey, Sr.
Analyzing the receivers: Meyer said the goal all along has been to have 12 scholarship receivers and that's where the Gators are at for the first time under Meyer. The Gators have 11 true scholarship wide receivers and two tight ends (Ingram and Hernandez) who play like wide receivers. So, the numbers are the best they've been here and the talent level supposedly is receiving an immediate boost from the addition of junior college All-America Moore.
OFFENSIVE TACKLE
Phil Trautwein, Sr.
Jason Watkins, Sr.
Marcus Gilbert, So.
Carl Johnson, So.
James Wilson, RFr.
Matt Patchan, Fr.
David Young, Fr.
OFFENSIVE GUARD
Jim Tartt, Sr.
Maurkice Pouncey, So.
Maurice Hurt, So.
Jim Barrie, So.
Corey Hobbs, So.
Simon Codrington, Jr.
Byran Jones, Fr.
CENTER
Michael Pouncey, So.
Eddie Haupt, Jr.
Sam Robey, Fr.
Analyzing the offensive line: Meyer's ideal target number for scholarship offensive linemen is 15, and the Gators will be two beyond that with the addition of the four true freshmen. With the return of Trautwein, the Gators return starters at every position except center. This will be the deepest, most experienced line the Gators have had under Meyer — and it's not even close.
DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Javier Estopinan, Sr.
Brandon Antwine, Jr.
Terron Sanders, So
Torrey Davis, So.
Lawrence Marsh, So.
Justin Trattou, So.
John Brown, RFr.
Troy Epps, Jr.
Omar Hunter, Fr.
Analysis: A potential problem area in 2007, the tackle positions could turn out to be a strength this season. The Gators have the numbers at the position now and there will be an infusion of new talent competing for playing time this spring (Epps and Brown) and in the fall (Hunter).
DEFENSIVE END
Jermaine Cunningham, Jr.
Carlos Dunlap, So.
Duke Lemmens, So.
Jay Howard, RFr.
Earl Okine, Fr.
William Green, Fr.
Analysis: The Gators are still pretty thin here and still very, very young, with Cunningham being the only regular starter on the depth chart. Lemmens and Dunlap gained some experience as true freshmen last season and will be competing with Howard this spring for the other starting role. Okine, an early enrollee, and Green are considered big-time prospects.
OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
Ryan Stamper, Jr.
Dustin Doe, Jr.
A.J. Jones, So.
Brandon Hicks, So.
Lorenzo Edwards, So.
Lerentee McCray, So.
Analysis: Eight might be a more ideal number for these two positions. But UF should be OK with six as long as injuries don't hit. Stamper, Doe and Jones have started games, but there is almost zero playing experience behind those three. McCray could end up playing as a true freshman.
MIDDLE LINEBACKER
Brandon Spikes, Jr.
John Jones, So.
Brendan Beal, Fr.
Analysis: Signing Beal (and having him enroll early) was huge at this position, where Spikes did not have a true middle linebacker type backing him up last season, when Stamper was the first guy off the bench. This position will be a recruiting priority again next season.
CORNERBACK
Joe Haden, So.
Wondy Pierre-Louis, Jr.
Jacques Rickerson, So.
Markihe Anderson, So.
Moses Jenkins, So.
Jeremy Brown, Fr.
Adrian Bushell, Fr.
Janoris Jenkins, Fr.
Analysis: The Gators were down in numbers and experience last season. Now, there's some returning starting experience and plenty of players to battle at the two positions. But this year's back-ups will be even younger and less experienced than last year's starters. The true freshmen (Brown, Bushell and Jenkins) likely will have to contribute. A plus is that Brown and Jenkins are already enrolled.
STRONG SAFETY
Dorian Munroe, Jr.
Jerimy Finch, RFr.
Dee Finley, Fr.
Analysis: Munroe played a lot of football last season and now is ready to take over for Tony Joiner as the starter. Finch showed promise after he was moved to outside linebacker early last season (before he broke his lower leg in the third game). Now, Finch is going back to his more natural position, where he will challenge Munroe for the starting role. Finley is similar to Finch is size and playing style.
FREE SAFETY
Major Wright, So.
Jamar Hornsby, So.
Bryan Thomas, So.
Ahmad Black, RFr.
Will Hill, Fr.
Analysis: When Hill arrives this summer, the Gators will have five scholarship players who were all highly rated prospects coming out of high school. Wright was the nation's No. 2 safety a year ago and Hill is the consensus No. 1 safety this year. Hornsby and Thomas have been around long enough now to expect them to start providing valuable minutes behind Wright, the starter last season as a true freshman.
KICKER
Jonathan Phillips, Sr.
Caleb Sturgis, Fr.
PUNTER
Chas Henry, So.
Analyzing the kickers: The Gators have three scholarship kickers and that's probably the maximum most schools would want to have. Henry performed well as a true freshman in 2007 and the coaches may be counting on Sturgis to do the same this season.

Nice breakdown.I think the problem will be to prevent some of these players from transferring .

The QBs seemed to be spaced enough so everyone will get their shot.

Back
Top Bottom