Official Florida Gators Thread | Page 119 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official Florida Gators Thread

Meyer completes Coaching Staff and makes a few adjustments

Associate head coach Charlie Strong, who served as the co-defensive coordinator with Mattison the past three seasons, is now the sole defensive coordinator.

In other changes, offensive line coach Steve Addazio has been given the added title of assistant head coach, while wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales now also is the recruiting coordinator. Chuck Heater, the recruiting coordinator and cornerbacks coach the past three seasons, will coach the safeties and is the assistant defensive coordinator.

Florida's Urban Meyer tapped into his coaching roots to complete his coaching staff Tuesday, hiring longtime college and NFL assistant Vance Bedford to coach the Gators' cornerbacks.

Bedford brings an impressive resume with him to Gainesville.

In his six years coaching the Bears' defensive backs, he helped develop cornerbacks Jerry Azumah and R.W. McQuarters and safety Mike Green. His Chicago secondary returned seven interceptions for touchdowns in his six seasons with the Bears.

During his first stint at Michigan (1995-98), the Wolverines' pass defense ranked among the best in the nation. His 1997 secondary led the nation and featured Heisman Trophy-winning cornerback Charles Woodson. That national championship season, the Wolverines set an NCAA record, allowing just 8.8 yards per completion.
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080227/NEWS/428930925/1090/gators01

Tim Tebow is known for making clutch plays, pushing the University of Florida's football team over the goal line when the odds seem stacked against the Gators. So it's perhaps no surprise, as the primary season in Florida reached its proverbial fourth quarter, that U.S. presidential candidates were calling on the Heisman Trophy winner to work some of his magic on their behalf.

Tebow, the Gators' star quarterback, has been courted by "multiple" presidential candidates — Republican and Democratic — for his endorsement, UF athletics officials confirmed to The Sun. Thus far, however, he's declined to give his stamp of approval to anyone.

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080226/NEWS/759652514/1090/GATORS01

Tim Tebow is known for making clutch plays, pushing the University of Florida's football team over the goal line when the odds seem stacked against the Gators. So it's perhaps no surprise, as the primary season in Florida reached its proverbial fourth quarter, that U.S. presidential candidates were calling on the Heisman Trophy winner to work some of his magic on their behalf.

Tebow, the Gators' star quarterback, has been courted by "multiple" presidential candidates — Republican and Democratic — for his endorsement, UF athletics officials confirmed to The Sun. Thus far, however, he's declined to give his stamp of approval to anyone.
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080226/NEWS/759652514/1090/GATORS01

Yeah, I wouldn't endorse anyone publicly if I was him. No need for people to look at him differently for political views. Very cool that they were asking though.

Tebow for President???:up:

Forgot to mention this awhile back when I first saw it.

ESPN Gameday will be at The Swamp for the Orange/Blue Spring Game on April 12th.

I'm assuming/hoping that means the game will be televised as well. :woot:

Talent Infusion in the Gator Secondary

For the first time since Meyer has been at Florida, the Gators appear to have the numbers in the secondary, especially at cornerback, that would allow UF to play more man-to-man and a more aggressive style of defense.

"Our numbers were really down when we got here," cornerbacks coach Chuck Heater said. "I think we've finally caught up.

"We've got some guys who can play a little bit and now we've got some guys coming in who we think can play. We like our numbers now. We've got a chance to be two-deep at every spot, which would allow us to do the things you want to do (on defense)."

The secondary is getting a considerable infusion of talent from a secondary recruiting class that is considered one of the strongest in the nation, led by All-America free safety Will Hill.

The Gators signed a complete secondary, plus one — a free safety, a strong safety and three cornerbacks.
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20080301/NEWS/818115517/1090/gators01

Here is Heater's take on the five incoming freshmen defensive backs:
Will Hill: "He's a dominant high school athlete who played quarterback and safety. He's a really athletic guy, a rangy guy, a big guy. He's a good-looking guy in his uniform. I think he's got good football instincts and he's a talented guy. We're eager to see him when he gets here. We saw him play a couple of times. Coming out of his junior year, we knew he was a tremendous player and he's continued to improve. A lot of other people felt the same way about him."
Dee Finley: "We recruited him as a strong safety. Sometimes these guys get bigger and can end up at (outside linebacker). Clearly, we look at him as a safety. He's also a big-hitting kind of guy and very athletic. Both those safeties are big guys, which is a good thing. On paper, right now, Hill is a free safety and Finley is a strong safety. We'll wait and see how it unfolds when they get here. We'll evaluate those things then."
Janoris Jenkins: "We had him in camp (last summer) and were really impressed with him. He's a great cover guy at cornerback. Watching him in the state championship game, he's a tremendous player, a great cover corner. We talked to a few other people who had him in camp and they saw the same thing. We've got a really good cover guy there. He's already in school and if he keeps developing, he has a chance to get on the field and play for us (as a true freshman). No question, being in the winter program and going through spring football should benefit him. On all levels (of football), when you've got guys who can cover outside (man-to-man), it allows you to do a lot of other things. Everyone is looking for those kind of corners. They are at a premium. He is a cover guy."
Jeremy Brown: "He's a kid we saw early on tape and we really loved him. We saw him in the spring and again in the fall and we were real impressed. He's another cover-oriented guy at cornerback. He's done a nice job since he's been here (as an early enrollee). We're excited about him. He seems to have competitive instincts. Some young guys are better than others when you put them in a competitive situation. For some guys, it takes some growing up before they learn how to compete. He seems like a competitive guy. He needs to keep developing. We're excited about his prospects."
Adrian Bushell: "He's really a talented guy. From a pure physical standpoint, he's probably the most talented guy we recruited. He played several positions and he has great track times. He was a really good player at Miami Pace through his junior year and then he went to DeSoto (Texas), which has a great football program, and he went right in there and started. He's got real talent. He was not quite as strong on the radar as some other guys and we didn't talk much about him, but he was heavily recruited. He had some inclination to come back to Florida and that's where we came in. He's a guy who can really cover. All three (of the incoming freshmen cornerbacks) are very similar guys. They're athletic guys who are quick and can cover."

Forgot to mention this awhile back when I first saw it.

ESPN Gameday will be at The Swamp for the Orange/Blue Spring Game on April 12th.

I'm assuming/hoping that means the game will be televised as well. :woot:

THAT would be AWESOME!

Welcome! Anyone that does not like FSU is alright by me. Although, lately they just have not been good enough to hate too much! :wink:
pffttt! I'll hate 'em after the NCAA gives them the death penalty and they go back to being a girls' school :gator:

Back
Top Bottom