---Official Golf Thread----

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by NY8123, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Danny68

Danny68 NewEngland Fin Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Glad you like your instructor UK..
    Very important to connect with him and like his teaching style. Stick with what he tells ya, and it’ll all start clicking.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  2. Danny68

Danny68 NewEngland Fin Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Just came home from a vacation/wedding down in Mexico. Played a really nice course one of the days and played it pretty well.
    Now that I’m home, I’ve gotta keep it going!

fishfanmiami likes this.
  3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Yea I think its important. He changed my grip, not to what it used to be when I played regularly but to something very different. I have been hitting my irons well with the new grip, but the driver and 3 wood has been a total disaster - a week ago I was hitting my 3 wood much better than I am now. I gave up today and started hitting a hybrid off the tee... much shorter but straight

Sound great, but very very warm! I melt in the heat lol

fishfanmiami likes this.
  4. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Grip it and rip it Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

My regular golf partner is in Alaska on vacation with his family but I got the jones and played 9 this evening at the Oakview course. Since I had to hurry I played the black tees and shot a +2 38.
    3 boogies , 1 birdie and the rest pars.
    One mulligan on the first drive , 3 do overs where the ball travel less than 20 yards. No penalty for lost ball in the woods just a free drop. Lots of give me's within 3 feet of the flag.
    I had fun. Can't pull this stuff when you play with others. A couple of those boogies would have been a lot worse on a regular day but It still felt good to score low :p

I left the score card to impress whom ever had that cart next :cool

Hey @uk_dolfan I ran in to a couple from England lost trying to find the hidden 10th hole. Very pleasant and if I had more time I would have played another 9 with them there's just one question I have for you.
    How to you think they knew I had an uncle named Bob ?

:)

Danny68 likes this.
  5. fishfanmiami

What a way to finish a tournament

Looking forward to the US open next week

Fins1971, Danny68 and mrhankey81701 like this.
  6. fishfanmiami

7. fishfanmiami

8. uk_dolfan

Had my second lesson yesterday morning. I swear I play worse during every lesson than I ever do on the course. But I am learning (or in many cases remembering) a lot. I plan to have about 2 lessons per month, one in the middle of the month and one at the very end.

Last time we worked on a new grip and not opening the face during the backswing. This time we worked on shifting my weight (something I havent got into the habit of doing properly since returning to golf) and my club path after the backswing - I need to bring it more inside. I have also been working at accelerating the club in the last phase before contact as he says I have been hitting glancing blows and taking away loft - which explains why I now hit a 7 iron about 120 when I just to hit it closer to 145/150

All these changes are making me worse, I have to think about 6 different things during every shot - but at the end of it I will come out a much better player.

I went to the range last night and hit a bucket of 80 balls while practicing the new swing, hit some duffs but plenty of shots I was pleased with. I was also able to hit my driver a lot straighter than usual, the laat few weeks I havent even taken my driver out once.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    fishfanmiami likes this.
  9. uk_dolfan

I have found a range that is closer to my house and a little cheaper. Sadly it doesnt automatically retee a new ball everytime you hit a shot but it is a much less annoying drive.

It does have a pro, but he just coaches out of a normal (closed off) bay rather than a purpose built coaching area. Even though he is closer and his prices seem to be lower; I don't plan to make a change.

I like my coach and that he uses trackman and all sorts of tech. Plus he records all my shots and can show me on a tv what I did right, wrong etc. I have enjoyed that - as a junior all of my coaching with the club pro was just on the club practice ground with a bag of balls.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  10. fishfanmiami

Good luck UK but don't over do it paying for coaching and lessons
    Always keep your chin pointed at the ball and swing easy not hard. When i'm not playing well I just do those two things and it helps. The grip , stance and even the swing is something you adjust to until you find something that feels comfortable then by doing it over and over you build muscle memory.
    There are a tons of slow motion videos of all the great golfers swings just try to do something that looks a bit like theirs.

11. uk_dolfan

shame this course isnt setup like it was yesterday. I enjoy seeing pros suffer and look human

fishfanmiami likes this.
  12. fishfanmiami

The leader Koepka is even par so it's still pretty tough UK.

13. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Yeah I’m hoping for foul weather and brutal course play at the British Open. The British Open has always been my favorite major but I hate it when the weather cooperates. You ever go?

14. uk_dolfan

I love links golf, so its my favourite major -- though the US open at pebble beach is great.

I have been twice. Next year its 10 mins away from my home town but tickets for the week are about £300

Birdmond likes this.
  15. fishfanmiami

The Masters is the best. Those opens are set up so very few players can even break par. A good test but not as fun to watch IMO