*** OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS @ BALTIMORE RAVENS GAME THREAD *** Week 13 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** OFFICIAL MIAMI DOLPHINS @ BALTIMORE RAVENS GAME THREAD *** Week 13

I still think we lose this.

However, my gut says don't bet against Gase atm :idk:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-big-play-statistics/2016/

Miami has the highest big play percentage in the nfl. According to this stat a big play is a rush over 10 yards or a pass over 25 yards

I broke this down, in accordance to big plays defined by an NFL coach and turnovers, earlier this week.

This is one of very few advanced statistics I keep track of. Toxic differential is the combination of three areas.

1) Turnover differential
2) Passing big plays (16+)
3) Rushing big plays (12+)

During the 6 game win streak our turnover differential is +9 (and we've never been in the negative in any game). That is excellent in of itself and could stand alone for a team's turnaround.

But here's more.

Big plays in generic statistical measurement are categorized by any pass or run over 25+ yards. Personally I follow Pete Carroll's philosophy concerning big plays since he has run the NFL's top defense for 6 consecutive years. Carroll defines a big play as a run of 12+ yards and a pass of 16+. Because of this it required some extra research to tabulate the numbers but alas I managed to do so.

Big plays by Run/Pass ratio per game during the 6 game win streak:

Mia: 6/4
Pitt: 2/4
Run +4/Pass 0

Mia: 6/3
Buf: 1/4
Run +5/Pass 0

Mia: 6/3
NYJ: 3/5
Run +3/Pass -1

Mia: 2/4
SD: 3/6
Run -1/Pass -2

Mia: 1/0
LA: 2/3
Run -1/Pass -3

Mia: 2/3
SF: 5/7
Run -3/Pass -3

It's easy to see which games we had in hand as they closed out and which ones came down to the wire just by looking at the big plays. Another interesting aspect of big plays is that if an offense can achieve two within one drive it greatly increases the chance of it ending with a score.

During our win streak our big play run differential was +7 and our big play pass differential was -9. Both of those numbers dipped dramatically for us in the last 3 games due to the injuries along the offensive line. One might even conclude that offensive line play is the largest catalyst for offensive production. That's my sentiment at least.

Though during that period of lack of big plays we were still able to produce a positive turnover ratio which is often related to win column.

Overall, our Toxic differential for the past 6 games (TO: +9, BPR: +7, BPP: -9) is +7 which can be factored in as strong cause for the current win streak.

http://www.finheaven.com/showthread...around&p=1065887516&viewfull=1-post1065887516

This is our first playoff game, away at Baltimore. We lose this, we're likely out of the playoff race. If we win it, we live to fight another day. Soft games are behind us. Now we earn our keep. And as Riddick learned ... you keep what you kill. I don't like eating crow, but we'll dine on raven tonight!

Well said!

I'm going to have to miss this game (DVRing it) as I will be traveling, and I can already tell it is going to extend my lifespan to miss it. This has the makings of the typical Dolphins down to the wire, fingernail-biting, win or loss.

I always identify one big playmaker we need for the win and this week it's Ajayi. If he gets going, we win this. Similarly, I really hope our run D is good enough to force Flacco to throw.

Prepare yourselves for the trolls to come rushing back in if we lose this one.

Prepare yourselves for the trolls to come rushing back in if we lose this one.

Some people will never change, they're just wired to be that way.

I don't believe anybody in the world expects us to run the table, though at this point, I think we could do it. So a loss today is no reason to ridicule this team and anybody that does I would suggest putting them on your ignore list. I am confident we will be victorious but I am not going to be devastated if the result is different. Keep your chins up and wear your team colors proudly, no matter what happens today.

Back
Top Bottom