*** Official Miami Dolphins @ Carolina Panthers Game Thread *** Preseason Wk2 | Page 48 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Official Miami Dolphins @ Carolina Panthers Game Thread *** Preseason Wk2

I was making a joke. Trying to lighten things up.a little to tightly wound we are.

Deleting the post will leave the thread. Post #2 becomes #1.

Is this your first season on Finheaven? You think this thread is bad? :laugh
Just wait for our regular season threads. :roflmao:roflmao

NO!! Don't delete the thread. I want to read through it again just in case I missed something.

Never did I say that, because something won't %100 eliminate a problem, we should give up and do nothing.

My point is that, due to the nature of the sport, it's a poorly written and terribly difficult to enforce rule. Please address that point and not this all-or-nothing hyperbole which I never ascribed to.

Those are all facts. Fine. I think football is going the way of the dinosaur either way.

That being said....

The other fact is football is an inherently violent sport. You're never going to make it fully non-violent so why ruin the product?

Are players supposed to fling their torsos now to make a tackle? Remember the term "arm tackle"? That has a negative connotation because arm tackles aren't effective.

So let's see... you can't use your arms, legs (tripping), or head to make a tackle. Flinging torsos seems like a fun product to watch.

You really think concussions will magically disappear because of this new rule?

The players know the risks of playing football and are willing participants. Have them sign a waiver and be done with it. Play violent games, win violent prizes.

You do realize that concussions can also occur without helmet to helmet hits, right?

Lol ok let's just leave it here then. We don't see eye to eye.

It was never intended to be the way it's been for several decades. Interesting take.

All opinions aside, it would be nice to see the [starting] offense actually move the ball with fluidity and command for once. Make the defense adjust to us instead of us taking what the defense gives us, which we all know defenses know is how we play so it’s typically easy for them. Also, give us the excuse of keeping the playbook simple and blaming players for bad playcalling.. your head coaching job will be 3 and out just like an anemic offense.

But if, as you claim, the refs are able to judge intent, and the goal is to eliminate concussions via helmet to helmet hits, why not penalize the player regardless of whether he makes contact or not?

Maybe make a whiff on a player who showed "intent" a lesser penalty, something like 10 yards. Wouldn't that make sense if the goal is to curb behavior as a whole?

Kind of like how attempted murder and 1st degree murder carry vastly different sentences.
Because there has to be some balance. There are no penalties for attempted penalties in football even though plenty of rules are in place to eliminate dangerous plays: clipping/chop blocking, roughing the kicker, roughing the passer, tripping, unnecessary roughness, facemasking, horse collar tackles, etc. are all intended to remove some of the violence from the game to increase player safety, and yet none of them have fouls for attempts. That argument is just silly.

Kiki Alonso is going to be riding the pine by mid season. Mark my words. McMillan and Baker are going to be starting. Alonso is absolute hot garbage. I don’t see anything in him. **** signing. Makes me mad haha. Sorry. I was happy with the rest of the game though! Play calling was frustrating. But that’s preseason. I hope.

Back
Top Bottom