***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread*** | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schools targeting younger recruits

So you want to be a Miami Hurricane? Better sign up now because space is filling up quickly.

When Miami Northwestern defensive lineman Marcus Fortson announced his intention last week to play for UM, he became the 16th athlete to orally commit to the Hurricanes' 2008 recruiting class.

At the rate coach Randy Shannon and his staff are securing players, the Hurricanes could have their freshman class of 2008 virtually wrapped up by the time Miami opens the 2007 season on Sept. 1 against Marshall.
UM is now part of a growing trend in college football.

With the competition for recruits getting stiffer every year, coaches are increasingly extending scholarship offers to prospects much earlier in the recruiting process.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2007/07/29/a1b_recruit_0729.html

Good news:

Bill Young new DC...great great addition! Xavier Shannon transfers to UM. Recruits are starting to be solid to one school or another...top guys still out there that UM "may" have a shot at: Brandon Harris(UF/LSU), Nick Perry (Michigan St. my prediction), Corey Liuget (Illinois), Ben Jones (Clemson), TJ Bryant (FSU/UF), Vaughn Telamque (USC) and Keith Wells (probable UGA), those are the top guys and everyone else are pretty much left overs...may be great players but not tip top recruits. I am hoping for Jones and hopefully Harris, then anyone else is an extra......

Schools targeting younger recruits

Old post but in response...Brian Brown was Arthur Browns mentor and is now mentoring several midwestern kids. He has built an excellent relationship with Randy Shannon and UM has ALREADY offered 3 kids he is mentoring. Best of all I iunderstand he does not like Urban Meyer either like most sane people. Definetly helps give the U an "in", not that these kids are locks. Also Bryce Brown is AB's brother and has already stated they want to play together.....thank you for Randy Shannon and Urban Meyer, things are a changin!!!

I still think that y'all made a grave mistake in firing Coach Coker. Your beloved Coach Shannon came in this year and did worse!

Should have kept Larry, a man who brought good Midwestern-style values to UM.

I still think that y'all made a grave mistake in firing Coach Coker. Your beloved Coach Shannon came in this year and did worse!

I can understand that view from a casual fan of UM football or a casual observer. From afar he seems like a nice guy and was "Grandpa Larry". Those close to UM football know that Coker was in way over his head. He could not recruit, did not recruit the right numbers and was ill prepared to form a long term squad. He was not a good motivator or good game day coach. Player and coaches became complacent and lazy. To top it all off he was unwilling to accept responsibility for the downturn in the program, instead he chose to throw proved coordinators and position coaches under the bus...all in all just a good position coach in over his head that won with other peoples talent in the begining.......

His record was worse but the team was 5000x better.

Yeah, that's what it's all about isn't it? :err:

You can't be serious. The offense looked worse this year, with "new talent" brought in.

After a 3-9 (likely) season from your beloved Hurricanes next fall, you'll all be wishing you hadn't run Coach Coker off.
I can appreciate your Tulsa optimism, but I'll wait until after this season to say you were right all along. I think we're gonna tear it up this year. If I'm wrong, I'll be back here to say it.:up:

You can't be serious. The offense looked worse this year, with "new talent" brought in.

After a 3-9 (likely) season from your beloved Hurricanes next fall, you'll all be wishing you hadn't run Coach Coker off.

What new talent? Guys were not ready on offense and Shannon knew it. Cooper is the only guy that really played (McNeal enough to see all the talent he has) and you cannot legit say he is not impressive. Marve and McKenzie were hurt (unplanned redshirts)...they will play and possibly start this year. Redshirts/non faxctors in 07 Gunn (rivals #1 C), Horn (and Franklin (rivals top 100 player) will all possibly start and definitely play a lot this year. Hankerson will play and be in the WR rotation....Adderly is a developmental guy that only started playing football as a junior in HS and Farquarson is disappointing but still has 4.4 speed on 215 pounds so I would not give up on him yet....THAT is the 07 "new talent"...and you are correct we did not see it this year, but it is clear that there is a lot of talent in that group...add in players that are 08 recruits that are more game ready like Patrick Hill, aldarius Johnson and Jacory Harris.

On defense Add in AB/Sean Spence/DVD/Allen Bailey/Damien Berry/Marcus Fortson/Futch/Marcus Robinson/Jeremy Lewis...all 4 star rivals guys...and yes there will be a bust or two among them, add in Moncur, Joseph, McCarthy and Adkins on defense and I think we have seen the last of 5-7 for a while. also do not count recruiting as a done deal just yet...........maybe "something" big and positive will happen for the Canes the next 10 days or so, on top of an already GREAT class....

Yeah, we did very well surpisingly with the poor season we had. In the top 5 in Rivals, Scout, and ESPN. Well done!:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom