***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread*** | Page 754 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***Official Miami Hurricanes Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep

I hear talk of Highsmith as Football AD and making a play for Cristable or what ever his name is

If he still really wants the job he can wave the huge buyout that would require kinda like Mark R did when he left us they say

We'll see

He could also be waiting for saban to call it quits

Unfortunately I don't really trust the school to hire the right coach even if it just is the staff with no future.

We will probably end up with another small school name when we need to think big.

I'm surprised to see anyone still posting in here. I figured this would have already transitioned into a "we'll get them next year" thread.

Ricky Gervais Awards Shows GIF by Golden Globes

The issue at UM is that the President really isn’t committed to the sports program at all. President Frenk came from Harvard and as a Doctor, he places education and their medical school over everything else, as he should.

As a long time fan of the UM football and baseball team, it has been disappointing to see both these programs regress over the years, yet I do understand it. At one time you had a President, Athletic director and coaches who were all on the same page when it came to putting the best teams possible
on the field.

Under Donna Shalala, the importance of sports at the University decreased as raising money for the academic programs greatly increased. Once Julio Frenk replaced Shalala, the sports programs at UM have basically gone into free fall and I really don’t see things changing as long as he is there.

While I wish they were still a football team that was competitive against the top teams in the nation. They aren’t and likely won’t be anytime in the near future. It is what it is and as much as it’s frustrating to those of us who have been UM fans for decades. It’s hard to fault a private university for putting the education of their students over wins on the field for their sport teams.

The issue at UM is that the President really isn’t committed to the sports program at all. President Frenk came from Harvard and as a Doctor, he places education and their medical school over everything else, as he should.

As a long time fan of the UM football and baseball team, it has been disappointing to see both these programs regress over the years, yet I do understand it. At one time you had a President, Athletic director and coaches who were all on the same page when it came to putting the best teams possible
on the field.

Under Donna Shalala, the importance of sports at the University decreased as raising money for the academic programs greatly increased. Once Julio Frenk replaced Shalala, the sports programs at UM have basically gone into free fall and I really don’t see things changing as long as he is there.

While I wish they were still a football team that was competitive against the top teams in the nation. They aren’t and likely won’t be anytime in the near future. It is what it is and as much as it’s frustrating to those of us who have been UM fans for decades. It’s hard to fault a private university for putting the education of their students over wins on the field for their sport teams.
Dude do you know you’re joking yourself right…??? Do you think that they let only kids in that get 4.0 or 5.0 GPA is on the football team? The fact is yeah they don’t get support it as much as some FLORIDA schools like UF for FSU by boosters and everything? But… They are still trying to recruit well and they still recruit well enough to be competitive… It’s just that your coach is not a head coach and should be a defensive coordinator and your program is just not very well off for whatever reason… You can come back whether your president supports football or not if you recruit well… But Manny Diaz is not the guy for that

Dude do you know you’re joking yourself right…??? Do you think that they let only kids in that get 4.0 or 5.0 GPA is on the football team? The fact is yeah they don’t get support it as much as some FLORIDA schools like UF for FSU by boosters and everything? But… They are still trying to recruit well and they still recruit well enough to be competitive… It’s just that your coach is not a head coach and should be a defensive coordinator and your program is just not very well off for whatever reason… You can come back whether your president supports football or not if you recruit well… But Manny Diaz is not the guy for that
Obviously as a Gator fan, you haven’t watched the Hurricane regression as a football team since Donna Shalala took over as UM President. I fully understand putting education first. As a private University, they don’t have the financial resources from the state or from boosters to build a stadium or increase their sports budgets like the state universities have.

I have been a UM football fan since we moved to Miami in 1961. So I have been through all the ups and downs of this programs for the past 60 years. The reason they hire coaches like Diaz, Golden, Shannon, and even Richt is all these coaches didn’t demand a high salary to become the HC.
UM settles for the cheapest HC they can get rather than spending what it takes to hire a a quality HC. While I agree Diaz is not qualified to be a college HC, even if they fire him they will just hire another HC who is willing to take over the program on the cheap.

I would love to see the Hurricanes return to the team they were in the 1980’s and 1990’s but I’m realistic enough to understand that isn’t going to happen anytime soon, if ever.

So pretty much you’re getting your information from That Miami Herald newspaper writer and just rehashing what Kirk herbstreit said about the fact of why Miami is no longer the “U” Miami? They still can be good at a high enough level to be at least competent which they are not so that remains a fact it should be better than one and two and barely one and two l, at that, and probably should be zero and three so that’s all I’m saying

So pretty much you’re getting your information from That Miami Herald newspaper writer and just rehashing what Kirk herbstreit said about the fact of why Miami is no longer the “U” Miami? They still can be good at a high enough level to be at least competent which they are not so that remains a fact it should be better than one and two and barely one and two l, at that, and probably should be zero and three so that’s all I’m saying
I have no idea what Herbstreit said and I don’t need to read the Miami Herald to see what has happened on the field over the last 17 years. They used to recruit players who were not only successful at UM but also in the NFL.
‘Just because a player is a 4 or 5 star recruit in HS doesn’t mean he will be a good player in college. Jimmy Johnson won with 2 and 3 star recruits because he knew how to get the best out of his players.

UM has never won an ACC championship in football since joining the conference in 2004. While they have had a few teams that were slightly above average during those years. Most of their teams have been mediocre at best. I never said they can‘t be competent as a football team. Yet I doubt the fans at Florida would be satisfied if the Gators were just a competent team year after year.

Even when, not if they fire Diaz, they will just hire another inexpensive HC and maybe get back to just being a mediocre competent team again. I’m not upset that UM isn’t the football power it once was and likely won’t be again in my lifetime. I am merely pointing out where this football team is now and where it has been since joining the ACC.

If the Dolphins as a professional team are mediocre year after year, that is frustrating to me. The UM being mediocre is only disappointing because of where they were years ago as a football team. Yet UM is an educational institution first and foremost and not a football factory. So I accept that the best I can probably hope from them in the future is they will just be another mediocre college football team. Because the reality is that the vast majority of college football teams are just mediocre and there are only a few really good college football teams. I can live with that.

Last edited:
John Krasinski got the idea for the movie “A Quiet Place” by attending a Canes home game.

Gators suk. Always have , always will. Just check their Nat title count compared to ours

No contest

Gators suk. Always have , always will. Just check their Nat title count compared to ours

No contest
Hmmm. Can't seem to find them in the top 25 rankings. But you enjoy your hardware cabinet lol. Did you notice two gators in the top ten best all time CFB QBs and 0 Canes? Must be an oversight LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom