*** OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES @ MIAMI DOLPHINS GAME THREAD *** Preseason WK3 | Page 76 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES @ MIAMI DOLPHINS GAME THREAD *** Preseason WK3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. People aren’t jumping to slight criticism. People are jumping when he hits a 50 yard bomb that leads his receiver horizontally and it’s called a terrible pass. Hyperbole kills your case. You aren’t objective
Umm, I never called it a terrible pass. Maybe someone else did.

Let me ask you this. When 10-15 other QBs in the NFL complete a 50 yard pass, do you feel compelled to brag about that Being evidence that that makes them a good QB? At this point, people should jump for a 50 yard play for the team, not because it defines Tua As a QB.

Fixed that for ya.

And that's fair. I'm not hating on Tua, or saying he can't throw deep, etc. I KNOW he can. He was just late on the throw is all. People can admit that and not be a "hater."
Nah, didn't fix that. I said what I said.

Anyone know what happened?
One of the young Vice Presidents in the organization passed away earlier today. I don’t know the individual but he was obviously someone the players and the coaches were close to. Jason Taylor was also having a hard time after the game when he spoke about the sudden death of this individual.

I agree he was better than average under the circumstances. I was just pointing out to the previous poster that even being average considering what he had to deal with was remarkable, IMO.
Anybody just saying he was average is being simplistic. I'm sure there's some stat that puts his overall play around average and if you have limited information or just have a simplistic understanding of the sport you might go with that.

But a more nuanced take would recognize that Tua was objectively elite at some things and poor at others. Reality is that Tua was the most accurate QB in the league at passes 10 yards or less. Not average or good or even great. He was #1 in that category and in the modern NFL that's 70%-75% of the passes you will be asked to throw. He was also top 5 at P/A passes and in the redzone. in a tweet CK pointed out that historically going back to 1994, among the ~250 QBs with 100+ attempts in the 4th quarter…

Tua Tagovailoa ranks:
#1 in 4Q Completion %
#1 in 4Q Touchdown % (run & pass)
#3 in 4Q First Down % (run & pass)
#9 in 4Q Passer Rating
#14 in 4Q Sack Avoid %
#1 in Composite of Above

And although it was a small sample size, he was also top 5 at completion % on deep passes.

On the other hand Tua was poor at intermediate passes and passes under pressure.

Personally, I don't believe Tua can't throw intermediate passes or is poor under pressure. We know he came into the league having demonstrated very good ability in those areas. I think that playing behind a historically poor pass blocking OL and having a WR group that was amongst the worst (I don't recall exactly they may have been the worst) at getting separation was the biggest cause for his struggles in that area. I believe that you could have put any QB in that situation and they would have struggled.

Fortunately, I don't believe that McDaniel's understanding of the sport is so simple or that he's going to rely on the limited information most fans and media take as gospel. I think it's more likely that he says, "I have a QB that has shown elite ability at quick passes, P/A passes and deep passes so I'm going to protect him better, get him WRs that can separate and design an offense that emphasizes quick passes, P/A passes and deep passes". "I'm just going to ask him to do more what he's already proven to be very adept at".

Let me ask you this. When 10-15 other QBs in the NFL complete a 50 yard pass, do you feel compelled to brag about that Being evidence that that makes them a good QB? At this point, people should jump for a 50 yard play for the team, not because it defines Tua As a QB.
Yes but considering those who have stated Tua can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field, a 50 yard pass is 5 x greater than what he should be capable of. So that's like Mahomes, who can thorw the ball 80 yards down the field, unleashing a 400 yard pass. How is that not in itself amazing.

Yes but considering those who have stated Tua can't throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field, a 50 yard pass is 5 x greater than what he should be capable of. So that's like Mahomes, who can thorw the ball 80 yards down the field, unleashing a 400 yard pass. How is that not in itself amazing.
When a Tua bomb to Hill or Waddle will be seen simply as a team gain versus a Tua individual validation of his worth, that’s when you know Tua has arrived.

I didn’t brag about the throw. All I will say is that more has been written about or talked about Tua having a weak arm than any other QB in the league. So when he does complete a long pass, fans of Tua probably take more joy in these passes than is called for.

The fact is Tua has an excellent arm or he wouldn’t be an NFL QB to begin with. Hopefully by the end of this coming season, his ability to throw and complete deep passes will no longer be an issue for the anti-Tua crowd that love to continually question his arm strength.

Except 10-15 qbs aren’t being ridiculed by the media like Tua is

I didn’t brag about the throw. All I will say is that more has been written about or talked about Tua having a weak arm than any other QB in the league. So when he does complete a long pass, fans of Tua probably take more joy in these passes than is called for.

The fact is Tua has an excellent arm or he wouldn’t be an NFL QB to begin with. Hopefully by the end of this coming season, his ability to throw and complete deep passes will no longer be an issue for the anti-Tua crowd that love to continually question his arm strength.
He has an NFL level arm, no doubt...I've never understood the "noodle-arm" statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom