Ogbah’s Injury and the Defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ogbah’s Injury and the Defense

Obviously, losing Ogbah is a bad thing. But he didn’t really fit our defense anymore. Boyer is running almost exclusively a 4-2-5 this season, and Ogbah isn’t a great fit in that system because he doesn’t put enough pressure on the QB to be one of just two edge rushers (nor is he a great interior pass rusher).

Ogbah is much more suited to be a 3-4 DE, but we haven't been playing much 3-4 because we want to find ways to get Wilkins, Sieler, and Raekwon on the field and because Phillips and Ingram aren’t true OLBs—we don’t want them in coverage.

As a result, I think our front 7 looks fine—maybe even better—without Ogbah.

At DT, we can run a three-man rotation of Wilkins, Sieler, and Davis for two slots.

At edge, we can run a 4-man rotation of Chubb, Phillips, Ingram, and Van Ginkel for two slots.

And at LB, we can play a three-man rotation of Baker, Roberts, and Riley for two slots. Lately we’ve also been mixing in some Van Ginkel snaps on obvious passing downs where we go with only 1 true linebacker, which I love.

And then in the secondary, we play 5 guys virtually every snap. Howard, Kohou, and Holland are always three of them. Rowe gets most of the snaps as the 4th guy.

That 5th slot in the secondary is our biggest weakness (other than our crappy linebackers). Right now it’s getting divided up between McKinley, Bethel, Crossen, and Igbinoghene. Byron Jones would obviously be a much, much better option.
Great write up. Thanks man! I didn't realize that about ogbah not fitting into our current defense. Thanks for insight!

Phillips in coverage is very good. In fact he had the highest graded coverage grade on the team of 85 last week. Get your facts straight OP because it's hard to take your word when there's holes in your statement. I couldn't read the rest of it after I lol'd to your ridiculous assessment on JP15 can't cover.

I do prefer the 4 down lineman as we have a better team for that, shift Wilkins inside with Seiler, and JP, Chubb, and Ingram is a lethal 3 edge rushers. AVG at SOLB, Baker at WOLB, go with Riley at MLB for now and its an improved front 7. Make RDavis a backup, no agility very little push, the fact Flo loved that pick is mind boggling considering Flo's specialty.

Phillips in coverage is very good. In fact he had the highest graded coverage grade on the team of 85. Get your facts straight OP because it's hard to take your word when there's holes in your statement. I couldn't read the rest of it after I lol'd to your ridiculous assessment on JP15 can't cover.

I do prefer the 4 down lineman as we have a better team for that, shift Wilkins inside with Seiler, and JP, Chubb, and Ingram is a lethal 3 edge rushers. AVG at SOLB, Baker at WOLB, go with Riley at MLB for now and its an improved front 7. Make RDavis a backup, no agility very little push, the fact Flo loved that pick is mind boggling considering Flo's specialty.
Uh, that’s not even close to what I said. Read better before you attack me for your own mistake.

What I said is that we don’t want Phillips in coverage—not that he can’t cover. This is objective fact. Phillips has rushed the passer on 273 snaps this year, compared to dropping into coverage on 45 (which is an average of 4.5 snaps per game). So yeah, what I said was right. Thanks for inviting me to prove it.

We don’t want Phillips in coverage because he’s one of the best pass rushers in the league.

Also, not that it really matters to my assessment, but your opinion that Phillips is very good in coverage is also wrong. His coverage grade for the season is 59. He ranks 106th among edge players in coverage grade.

I can only go by what you wrote. JP is good in coverage, yes we want him rushing the passer as that's what he great at, but the position requires coverage or you make the position easy to read. He's an olb.. the ability he has to cover makes him even better.

So his coverage grade for the year is higher than Xavien Howard's coverage grade for the year, and you give me **** about. Lofl. We all know X has been pretty good guarding #1's while injured af, yet makes plays when need.

Last game which I went off in which his coverage grade was an 85, plus his college coverage as a Canes fan, he good and hold his own in coverage.

JP sets the edge, stops the run, rushes the passer and can cover. That's my fvcking point. You said we don't want him in coverage, I called it out.

Moving on now...

I can only go by what you wrote. JP is good in coverage, yes we want him rushing the passer as that's what he great at, but the position requires coverage or you make the position easy to read. He's an olb.. the ability he has to cover makes him even better.
He’s not really an OLB in our system this year. That’s one of the points of my post. We’re playing a 4-2, not a 3-3.

Phillips has lined up on the line of scrimmage on 459 snaps this season. He’s only lined up off-ball as a box linebacker 4 times. And he’s rushed the passer on 273 snaps, and played the run on 153 snaps. He’s only dropped into coverage on 45 snaps all season.

We’re using him like an end, and very occasionally mixing things up by dropping him. I agree that it makes him a better player to have that versatility. But practically speaking, when he’s in the game, he’s playing on the line and rushing the QB. Ditto for Chubb. They’re ends, and playing them with two ILBs meant that the only good way to get Ogbah snaps was to play him inside.

Stop being so petty and sensitive, you're much better than that.
I’m not being petty and sensitive dude, you said I don’t know what I’m talking about and you can’t take me seriously and you laughed at my post and didn’t finish reading it because I got basic facts wrong. But I didn’t get any facts wrong. So what was I supposed to do, say thanks?

I’ve got no problem with your point that Phillips is well rounded and can be used in coverage. I agree with it. That’s not contrary to my post. But it’s not his highest value and so far this season, we haven't had him do it very often, which was my point. We don’t really disagree about Phillips.

The bottom line is: We just lost our 5-6 technique interior pass rusher and his backup in the same week. We also lost Trey Flowers earlier, who was another guy who could play the position.

People!! That position is a void.

Seiler and Wilkins can't play every down, and neither one of them is a pass rushing force. Davis and Jenkins are both NT's. Jenkins could have played a rush 5-tech 4 years ago, but now he is old and fat.

Our depth chart at defensive line is terrifying. https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA

If we are talking using OLB's in that interior position...that could be bad, really bad. I suppose Chubb could do it, but then we are thin again on the outside.

The guys on the practice squad other than Ben Stille{who was poached} look shockingly bad, like, how are they even on a squad?

I am amazed that the Dolphins haven't made even one move? WTH? Maybe they are working on one or two of the veterans who retired this year. I don't know of any free agents out there right now who would fit the part.

Anybody have any ideas?

That is a really,really weak move. I fear the Dolphins are being reckless and presumptuous in regard to this issue.

If Seiler or Wilkins go down....we are royally effed!! and Scarlett has 5.5 sacks in five years.

FO is remiss. Why aren't our sports journalists and pundits raising hell about this?

Stille should never have been allowed to be poached. We better not lose Cameron Goode. Eguavoen should have been cut before the season.

I'm pissed now, but I'm really going to be pissed if we lose Goode in favor of keeping Eguavoen.

The bottom line is: We just lost our 5-6 technique interior pass rusher and his backup in the same week. We also lost Trey Flowers earlier, who was another guy who could play the position.

People!! That position is a void.

Seiler and Wilkins can't play every down, and neither one of them is a pass rushing force. Davis and Jenkins are both NT's. Jenkins could have played a rush 5-tech 4 years ago, but now he is old and fat.

Our depth chart at defensive line is terrifying. https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA

If we are talking using OLB's in that interior position...that could be bad, really bad. I suppose Chubb could do it, but then we are thin again on the outside.

The guys on the practice squad other than Ben Stille{who was poached} look shockingly bad, like, how are they even on a squad?

I am amazed that the Dolphins haven't made even one move? WTH? Maybe they are working on one or two of the veterans who retired this year. I don't know of any free agents out there right now who would fit the part.

Anybody have any ideas?
To your point, I wonder how long Flowers will be out?

Ogbah has been great for Miami, helped change the culture and pressure situations on defense, also played through the bad back until he tore his triceps.

That is a really,really weak move. I fear the Dolphins are being reckless and presumptuous in regard to this issue.

If Seiler or Wilkins go down....we are royally effed!! and Scarlett has 5.5 sacks in five years.

FO is remiss. Why aren't our sports journalists and pundits raising hell about this?

Stille should never have been allowed to be poached. We better not lose Cameron Goode. Eguavoen should have been cut before the season.

I'm pissed now, but I'm really going to be pissed if we lose Goode in favor of keeping Eguavoen.

This is F'n bullshit from a notorious consumer of the hateraid. Grier has gotten Chubb, Flowers, extended Ogbah (who was playing very well) Phillips, Ingram has been a valuable addition, Sieler is awesome, Raekwon is solid in the middle, Jenkins and other competent DL's on practice squad to develop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom