Oh, Omar | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oh, Omar

Malleyo

Club Member
Reaction score
“The Dolphins began free agency with $63.3M in cap space and spent $43.8M of it. They have about $19.4M left to spend this offseason. Do you see $44M worth of improvement to this roster?”

Omar Kelly on Twitter this morning. As of that time we had signed:

Gesicki 10.9
Ogbah 7.6
Duke Riley 3
Preston Williams 1-2m per Barry Jackson
Sam Eguavoen 2m

So ~25m of that 43m (almost 60%) went to re-sign existing players.

While some of the numbers I listed may be off a hair, the point is his tweet was meant to give the impression we had spent 43m without significantly improving the team. He knows better than to post this and while his sources are not as strong as they used to be, he should know we have been on the phones for days trying to improve the team. It would do well to remember that not unlike some in our forum here, there are some beat writers who post to inflame vs inform.

He isn’t totally off.
I definitely wouldn’t have brought Preston back. The other signings are eh. Ogbah and Gesicki are pretty much the only moves Miami have made that makes me happy. The others are like eh we brought back JAGs from an underachieving 9-8 team and ok players from Dallas and Arizona where it’s a wait and see approach.

He has a point. Grier’s job should be on the line.

Make playoffs, he gets another year. Miss playoffs and it’s time to move on.

Here’s an off the wall theory that you all can tear apart. Grier convinced Ross that the teams lack of success was coaching and not the talent level of the team. McDaniel has mentioned several times he is going to unlock the talent these players have. So, Grier can’t exactly do a complete roster overhaul in Free Agency due to his stance that this roster is talented and the coaches misused or under-coached the talent on the team. So he brings in some pieces that McDaniel wants for his offense, signs back basically all defensive free agents, and is having to prove to Ross that it was the coaching and not his inability to bring in talent the last few drafts.

Here’s an off the wall theory that you all can tear apart. Grier convinced Ross that the teams lack of success was coaching and not the talent level of the team. McDaniel has mentioned several times he is going to unlock the talent these players have. So, Grier can’t exactly do a complete roster overhaul in Free Agency due to his stance that this roster is talented and the coaches misused or under-coached the talent on the team. So he brings in some pieces that McDaniel wants for his offense, signs back basically all defensive free agents, and is having to prove to Ross that it was the coaching and not his inability to bring in talent the last few drafts.
McDaniel better be the 2nd coming of Vince Lombardi then. Grier is a total clown….I’m seriously afraid what he’s going to do with our draft picks

Back
Top Bottom