Ok, please STOP IT on the "let Jake Long walk" nuttery... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ok, please STOP IT on the "let Jake Long walk" nuttery...

I think it's pretty simple, it was the first year of a new Offensive Scheme and he's been caught off guard a few times. He's actually not played as horrible as these overexagerators make it out. It's actually quite common for a team to struggle a bit the first year of a scheme change. And I've read where the Dolphins actually consider Long having adjusted quite well. Just had a few bad games. He's still top 5 LT in the game.

thank you. i hope we keep him. this talk of letting him walk makes me nervous about our team's future.

No, you pay him $15mil for "one" year and you "still" have more than enough money to sign your rookies, our FAs, Jennings, and a descent blocking TE. And his money comes off the books in 2014. Or he plays like the Pro Bowler he is and you re-sign him for 3-4 years at less than the $15mil. I think it's pretty simple really.

A middle of the road RT will be a potential Columbo, a rookie who may or may not be a bust, and on top of that you have this "mystery guy" tied down for 3-4 years. Funny how everyone keeps throwing around this "middle of the road" guy and still hasn't mentioned any names. lol
what do we get out of him for 1 year...who is going to take a trade from us after franchising him when they can wait one more year? Our FO messed up by not extending him this year...face it was a mess up just like picking him over ryan was...he is the last nail in the coffin of anyone who think parcells still understands football

we lose his worthless behind and pick up players that will make us better.

and no we do not pick up jennings...we go after speed not age

what do we get out of him for 1 year...who is going to take a trade from us after franchising him when they can wait one more year? Our FO messed up by not extending him this year...face it was a mess up just like picking him over ryan was...he is the last nail in the coffin of anyone who think parcells still understands football

I'm not advocating trading Long, but franchise tagging him and securing the position for at "least" one more year, if not re-signing him for 4 more altogether. I, too, was on the Matt Ryan train that year, but it is what it is. We got Tanny now and Long is his L or RT, at least for one more year.

And yes, Jennings should be our top FA target, period. And then go with a speedster at WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. If Jennings is retained, we push for Bowe. Wallace, I believe is staying with the Steelers or he can be a third FA target. But we must acquire one of those 3 "as well as" drafting a speedster in the 2nd and 3rd round. And I also expect Brian Tyms to replace Moore as that 6th WR/STs player on the roster, as he seems like the perfect developmental WR with the size, speed, and has been heralded to be a pretty good route runner...

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not filling a hole with Long, you're keeping a hole there. Franchising him would be a huge mistake ESPECIALLY if he moves over to RT.

Why waste our chance on signing key free agents by franchising our oft-injured LT that has not been near the same the past couple of years?

If we move Martin to LT and sign a RT not named Colombo we've already improved the Oline from last year. Long isn't the same player as he once was, and instead of proving to us the last few games that he can still play at an elite level, what does he do? He gets injured. Unsurprisingly.
i like his thinking.
why cant we spend $ on new players to add to this team.say we sighn jennings and keller and a rt for the 15 mill JL would have cost ,are we better off?

i like his thinking.
why cant we spend $ on new players to add to this team.say we sighn jennings and keller and a rt for the 15 mill JL would have cost ,are we better off?

We don't need Long's $15mil to sign those guys, we are going to have upward of $45mil of cap space. If we needed extra cap space (which we do not)...we can use Starks and Fasano's. And I've still yet to hear who this "mystery" middle of the road RT is we are supposed to sign to replace Jake Long with...:confused:

Jennings is not old, he knows the offense inside and out, he runs great routes, he catches everything, he brings leadership to a young wr core. Sign me up all day long.

Mr Ed., prior to starting a "keep Jake Long" thread, kindly research and watch more than one game since the end of the 2010 season.. Thank you.

thank you. i hope we keep him. this talk of letting him walk makes me nervous about our team's future.

Actually, the talk about keeping him should make you nervous about our teams future... Unless of course you have not seen a Dolphins game since 2010 in which I will give you a pass and urge you to watch the entire 2011 and 2012 seasons...

I bet those that clamor to resign long are the same ones that think it is a good idea to send out Carpenter for a game winning 51 yard field goal.

After Aldon Smith get 4 sacks tomorrow everyone will be screaming Martin is a bust and we need to resign Long. I can see the threads now

Yeah lets destroy half the cap room for Jake Long. And then people will bitch again about why Miami has no playmakers.The hole everyone is talking about from letting Long walk is already there, it was created by Jake Long. His crappy play and going on IR two seasons in a row has created yet another hole on this 10 year project at oline.

After Aldon Smith get 4 sacks tomorrow everyone will be screaming Martin is a bust and we need to resign Long. I can see the threads now

Either that or both tackles will get lots of help from TEs and backs and we'll get tons of threads about Martin being better than Long while they ignore the fact that our 1 wr sets rendered our offense totally inept. Either way the Long threads are gonna keep coming.

martin has proved nothing and he will probably get owned this week. he has been a turnstyle all season.
we need to let jake get healthy, and resign him to a resonable contract

"the let hartline walk train"

Bizzare.

Long's injuries have doomed him. There's no way in hell you franchise him and pay him over $15 million. That's absolute insanity.

Back
Top Bottom